TAG Heuer to take on Apple Watch with smartwatch initiative, plans acquisitions

Comments

• Reply 141 of 185
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The iPhone was a smartphone, it had native Apps installed by Apple.

The ability to install native software was the key definition.

User installed is a distraction.

Symbian was like DOS, technically smartphone software but hopelessly out of date.

In trying to make it competitive with iPhone it's flaws and weaknesses were exposed.

The large numbers came from cheaper, low spec low profit phones, which is what led to Nokia's downfall.
  • Reply 142 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just saying that the obvious isn't always so. There are countless of examples where a 'can't miss' did just that, and something bound to fail became a big success.

Apple's success and corresponding valuation come form having substantially more hits than misses. And rarely does apple just get a base hit. Usually it's a grand slam followers by another. (I know you have to have base hits for a grand slam to work but you can count the ecosystem that also gets boosted with every new product) The interesting part is because apple is so large even a killer product by another company's metrics will appear to be a non-starter. e.g. iPhone 5C.  I predict the Apple watch will do fine. Most won't understand what that means and, quite frankly, they don't have to. It will add several billion to Apple's bottom line and make those that buy it happy even if it only sells in Apple TV quantities.

• Reply 143 of 185
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Because they deserve it?

I don't know of any group of people that large that accurately fall under a single stereotype. As the number of people within a grouping grows the harder it is to make an accurate specific statement.
  • Reply 144 of 185
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Actually it was unusual back then, stop confusing the practices of the USA with the rest of the world. I purchased unlocked Nokia smartphones in 2007 (actually I purchased Nokia unlocked smartphones in 2002), it wasn't hard to find them.

And the discussion is based around the launch of the original iPhone, which started in the USA and spread outward over time.  It has continually defined the market from day one even though someones corner wasn't affected from day one.

• Reply 145 of 185
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    And the discussion is based around the launch of the original iPhone, which started in the USA and spread outward over time.  It has continually defined the market from day one even though someones corner wasn't affected from day one.

The mobile scene in the USA was quite backward compared to other countries when the iPhone was released, again don't confuse the USA with the rest of the world
  • Reply 146 of 185
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

It has defined UI from day one.  Functionally, others were and have often been, at comparable, or even superior levels.

• Reply 147 of 185
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

The mobile scene in the USA was quite backward compared to other countries when the iPhone was released, again don't confuse the USA with the rest of the world

What is the point you want to win?

The iPhone was a smart phone out of the gate and has continued to define it since.  Most people here would agree with that statement.

• Reply 148 of 185
    icoco3 wrote: »
    What is the point you want to win?

The iPhone was a smart phone out of the gate and has continued to define it since.  Most people here would agree with that statement.

If you can't understand the point, then maybe you were a child in 2007 and/or didn't understand the industry internationally at that time.
  • Reply 149 of 185

If you can't understand the point, then maybe you were a child in 2007 and/or didn't understand the industry internationally at that time.

If you’re pretending there was anything comparable to the iPhone outside the US in 2007, well…

• Reply 150 of 185
    If you’re pretending there was anything comparable to the iPhone outside the US in 2007, well…

Why don't you read before you post?
  • Reply 151 of 185

Why don't you read before you post?

I did. Your point is wrong. Next?

• Reply 152 of 185
    I did. Your point is wrong. Next?

How about you stop being a knob, and if you think I am wrong you actually provide some proof for once
  • Reply 153 of 185

How about you stop being a knob, and if you think I am wrong you actually provide some proof for once

We’ve proven countless times that there was nothing like the iPhone before its creation. I’m not going to waste my time with common sense.

• Reply 154 of 185
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    We’ve proven countless times that there was nothing like the iPhone before its creation. I’m not going to waste my time with common sense.

That's not the argument though. [@]jfanning[/@] stated that
    The mobile scene in the USA was quite backward compared to other countries when the iPhone was released, again don't confuse the USA with the rest of the world.
    which is absolutely correct. Prior to 2007 smartphones were not very popular in the US. The trend was towards unlocked candy bar, and flip phones from overseas.
  • Reply 155 of 185
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Prior to 2007 smartphones were not very popular in the US.

If the issue is one of popularity, do we have stats regarding “smartphone” use back then?

• Reply 156 of 185

No one has said that, maybe you should read the thread before saying anything
  • Reply 157 of 185

No one has said that, maybe you should read the thread before saying anything

Kay. Did. You’re still wrong. Said this already. Stop wasting our time.

• Reply 158 of 185

Kay. Did. You’re still wrong. Said this already. Stop wasting our time.

I'll say one thing, you are consistent. Consistent at not following up with any proof when asked, again if I am wrong please provide proof of this, otherwise stop wasting everyone's time
  • Reply 159 of 185

…if I am wrong please provide proof of this…

Here’s US smartphone adoption (colored bars) overlaid on the top five EU economies (I can’t find Asia; if you have percentages, please add them).

Identical. The US wasn’t behind anyone.

• Reply 160 of 185
    Here’s US smartphone adoption (colored bars) overlaid on the top five EU economies (I can’t find Asia; if you have percentages, please add them).

Identical. The US wasn’t behind anyone.

A couple of issues.

1. That graph is nearly impossible to read
    2. Source?
    3. That doesn't describe the smartphone market up to and including 2007
    4. That doesn't show that the US was a largely locked market (and still is)