Corning takes shot at sapphire with 'Project Phire' ultra scratch-resistant glass

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I happen to have meant the dish ware comment genuinely as a compliment. Pyrex has been the best thing in the kitchen, along with Le Creuset IMHO for a very long time (I am the chef in this house so I speak from personal view point here). When you think Corning introduced Pyrex in 1915 it is astounding. I have no idea why several people took that as anything other than a compliment. I assume there has been some derision by others I missed. I have nothing but admiration for Corning and my OP simply referenced the fact they needed Steve to kick them up the butt to realize what they had on their hands in the light of what Apple was about to bring to market.

Mea culpa. It read as a backhanded compliment, but I know you well enough that if you say that is not what you meant, then that is not what you meant. My apologies.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Also, whatever Apple uses for their next phone, they should make it an exclusive, so that nobody else is allowed to use the material on their phones. Apple sells enough iPhones to make that a reality.

• Reply 63 of 94
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Hey enough with insulting me! It was a genuine freaking compliment! I am he chef in the house and I would not know what I'd do with out my Pyrex stuff, and also Le Creuset stuff.

No insult meant to the chef. I was being sarcastic, though.....:D

I think Corning sold its Pyrex division to a Mexican company at least a couple of decades ago.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Also, whatever Apple uses for their next phone, they should make it an exclusive, so that nobody else is allowed to use the material on their phones. Apple sells enough iPhones to make that a reality.

I think GTAT was Apple's attempt to go exclusive, and we know that didn't pan out.

Sometimes you've just got to go with what is best out there, and IMHO, when it comes to glass, Corning is the world's standard. I doubt very much that a company like that would agree to exclusivity. It would run the risk of ticking off a whole range of customers for their other products (e.g., Samsung TVs for their display technologies).
  • Reply 65 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    No problemo ... :)

I didn't know Corning had sold Pyrex off though till reading above! Could this be why a large dish shattered whilst heating gravy on the stove top recently? :\
  • Reply 66 of 94
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    No insult meant to the chef. I was being sarcastic, though.....:D

I think Corning sold its Pyrex division to a Mexican company at least a couple of decades ago.

I did not know that.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think GTAT was Apple's attempt to go exclusive, and we know that didn't pan out.

I understand that, but GTAT apparently was unable to deliver, so that plan obviously didn't work out.

I meant that Apple should make "Project Phire" glass an exclusive, if that is truly what's best at the moment. Even if Apple were to pay more, then that's ok. Apple has billions to spend, as we all know.

• Reply 68 of 94
    No problemo ... :)

I didn't know Corning had sold Pyrex off though till reading above! Could this be why a large dish shattered whilst heating gravy on the stove top recently? :\

I still use my Pyrex dishes from 1982, which I bought during my first month in the US!

I used to be a huge fan of Le Crueset, but find myself using it less and less: increasingly, a bit too heavy.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    I still use my Pyrex dishes from 1982, which I bought during my first month in the US!

I used to be a huge fan of Le Crueset, but find myself using it less and less: increasingly, a bit too heavy.

Yes I admit I am now officially a member of the decrepit 'two handed, keep your back straight and lift with the knees' user group of Le Crueset these days! That's no joke when you recall the days you could hold a skillet in one hand and a bottle of vino in the other whilst kissing the date! :\
  • Reply 70 of 94
    That's no joke when you recall the days you could hold a skillet in one hand and a bottle of vino in the other whilst kissing the date! :\

Don't remind me....

(Way off topic, but do you know anything about ceramic non-sticks? I am intrigued: http://www.surlatable.com/search/search.jsp?N=4294967064&Ntt=greenpan&affsrcid=AFF0005&adpos=1t1&creative=60314752448&device=t&matchtype=p&network=g&gclid=CLPit8mT0MMCFcxj7AodzGQApg)
  • Reply 71 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I know we get a lot of off topic conversations on AI — which I'm totally fine with — but a discussion about cookware is the most unusual one I can recall.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    And my first reboot on iOS 8.1.3. Well, I went two days without.

I miss the days when the software was as rock solid as the hardware.

Stick to the day job, Ive.

you don't get it. Simpler software is more stable because it does less. today's OSes do far more than they used it. it gets complicated.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    you don't get it. Simpler software is more stable because it does less. today's OSes do far more than they used it. it gets complicated.

No, no, it's because Jony I've does all the coding, Steve Jobs is dead, and Tim Cook is gay¡
  • Reply 74 of 94
    Why doesn't Corning just make sapphire? Is there some kind of law that limits them to sand? Diversification can be a good thing. And with their muscle they could drive smaller competitors out.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Why doesn't Corning just make sapphire? Is there some kind of law that limits them to sand? Diversification can be a good thing. And with their muscle they could drive smaller competitors out.

I'm curious about that too. Seems like an obvious move. And if, for some reason, they thought that it is not technologically feasible, then I would expect them to let others spend money trying with little or no comment, safe in the knowledge that they will continue to have the best product for these applications.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I know we get a lot of target conversations on AI — which I'm totally fine with — but a discussion about cookware is the most unusual one I can recall.

If you think that's unusual...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/75155/off-topic

Sorry, it a weekend. Carry on.
  • Reply 77 of 94

I'd think they could be very successful in that area.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I know we get a lot of target conversations on AI — which I'm totally fine with — but a discussion about cookware is the most unusual one I can recall.

We're a couple of bros, what can I say.... ;-)
  • Reply 79 of 94
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I understand that, but GTAT apparently was unable to deliver, so that plan obviously didn't work out.

I meant that Apple should make "Project Phire" glass an exclusive, if that is truly what's best at the moment. Even if Apple were to pay more, then that's ok. Apple has billions to spend, as we all know.

If Corning were so utterly stupid as to do what you suggest, they would be opening the door to rivals with alternative materials because all those phone manufacturers would have to look elsewhere if locked out.

Kyocera seems to have already managed to make a phone with a saphire faced screen.  Reading the description of how ineffective concerted efforts to scratch it were, you can see why Apple may have wanted it for the screen of an iPhone: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/02/kyocera-brigadier-sapphire-screen/

There is also the Huawei Ascend P7 Sapphire Edition which has a sapphire faced front screen.  Exclusivity would see a lot more phones with sapphire screens I would think, and 'almost as scratch resistant as sapphire', says it all.  With a report that LG and Samsung have been reaching out to sapphire manufacturers for samples, it is no wonder Corning keep trying to put sapphire down

• Reply 80 of 94

Cast Iron baby ... can't beat it. And to stay on topic, a large Le Creuset skillet is ideal for testing iPhones' and ?Watches' impact resistance ... :D