Apple reportedly learning how to develop self-driving electric cars

Comments

• Reply 81 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

According to Tim

"Apple will only get involved in areas where they can control the technology."

Being a subsystem to other car manufacturers does not really satisfy that criteria .

you're right. it doesn't qualify.  

• Reply 82 of 185
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

2) Of all the cars that would probably have iPhone owners and want CarPlay, Tesla is absent from supporting their system. I wonder if Apple sees Tesla resistance to CarPlay and their very large touchscreen in the center console as a potential warning that other car makers could follow the "hip" car maker's lead with advanced tech that pushes Apple out of the mix. If that's the case, I'd think a long-term solution to create your own system (even if that means your own car) would be something worth investigating thoroughly.

Tesla might be a special case though, the CEO is an ex-software engineer (who wrote the software for PayPal). Other CEOs who are less tech-savvy might be less inclined to roll their own. Tesla's run Linux I believe.

• Reply 83 of 185

Imagine a future where people break into cars, not to steal them, but to steal the Apple HW inside.

So the 1980s, then. Back when people stole car radio systems.

• Reply 84 of 185
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think they could add 70 billion to the market cap overnight. 

BMW 

68.66B
    P/E 12  

It sounds like you are thinking about todays cars. Tomorrows cars will drive themselves. That's a ton of computing, and few companies could successfully pull off such a feat of wizardry. Even if the grease companies tried, users would favour deep integration with smartphones which kind of leaves Apple and Google as successful contenders.

I quite agree, they may. But the magic of the cars will then be lost. When did you last care about the brand of bus you were in? A self driving car will loose all the appeal which is now the reason why many people find an identity  in the car they drive. But integration with smartphones? A little bit limited if you ask me!

• Reply 85 of 185

I think they could add 70 billion to the market cap overnight. .....

I think that's in Euros. It's slightly more in USD terms.... 14% more, to be exact. ;)

(Although it's weird to think that it was 40% more, just six months go!)
  • Reply 86 of 185
    Quote:

BMW 

68.66B
    P/E 12  

It sounds like you are thinking about todays cars. Tomorrows cars will drive themselves. That's a ton of computing, and few companies could successfully pull off such a feat of wizardry. Even if the grease companies tried, users would favour deep integration with smartphones which kind of leaves Apple and Google as successful contenders.

Don't be surprised, sooner or later, to find MS on that list.

• Reply 87 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The hardware isn't all that special (with maybe the exception of some of the newer ARM SoCs). It's the software/services that is.

What would you rather have: a generic Intel-powered computer running OS X or a Mac running Windows? Or a non-Apple smartphone running iOS or an iPhone running Android?

This is essentially the basis of why Steve Jobs claimed that Apple was a software company at heart.

Apple doesn't sell its ARM SoCs to other companies. An outsider can't do anything with the M7 motion co-processor, the Secure Element for Apple ID.

"Apple is an experience company that monetizes its software & services by selling hardware."

Best definition I've heard so far;

http://www.aboveavalon.com/podcast/2015/2/14/above-avalon-episode-12-the-trick-of-downplaying-hardware

• Reply 88 of 185
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    The documentary on the doomed first GM electric car said when the car came to the dealer, the service on it was quite easy. No engine, no transmission, no catalytic converters, no radiator, no oil changes or oil filters.

They simply checked the brakes, lubricated moving parts, checked batteries and pressure on the tires and done.
    Sounds like something perfect for a customer and margins minded Apple
  • Reply 89 of 185
    rp2011 wrote: »
    The documentary on the the GM electric car said when the car came to the dealer, the service on it was quite easy. No engine, no transmission, no catalytic converer

Just make your way to the back of the dealership and the Genius will see you in a moment.

We're gonna need bigger Apple stores.
  • Reply 90 of 185
    Quote:

BMW 

68.66B
    P/E 12  

I am convinced that electric cars are the future.  Autonomous vehicles? Not so much.

• Reply 91 of 185
    Quote:

Just make your way to the back of the dealership and the Genius will see you in a moment.

We're gonna need bigger Apple stores.

Angela is gonna have her hands full. or maybe Apple should hire Danika Patrick to be head of the Apple Car dealerships.

• Reply 92 of 185
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I am convinced that electric cars are the future.  Autonomous vehicles? Not so much.

Autonomous are absolutely the future. The distant future, but the future nonetheless.

Driverless cars will absolutely change the world. Imagine paying to use a car by the mile instead of owning one? Call for a call using your iPhone or app. It shows up, maybe dropping someone off at the same time. You get in, it takes you home. It then goes and picks up and old couple to go shopping. It then goes to fuel up. Etc. public transportation would be solved by millions of cars just going point to point.

Of course, someone will have to own the cars. You won't really need to. A new business? A large business? GM? Apple? It will be glorious.

It is also likely another 20-50 years away.
  • Reply 93 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Autonomous are absolutely the future. The distant future, but the future nonetheless.

Driverless cars will absolutely change the world. Imagine paying to use a car by the mile instead of owning one? Call for a call using your iPhone or app. It shows up, maybe dropping someone off at the same time. You get in, it takes you home. It then goes and picks up and old couple to go shopping. It then goes to fuel up. Etc. public transportation would be solved by millions of cars just going point to point.

Of course, someone will have to own the cars. You won't really need to. A new business? A large business? GM? Apple? It will be glorious.

It is also likely another 20-50 years away.

If I'm going to own a car, I want to enjoy the experience of driving the car. I don't care much for an automated chauffeur.

• Reply 94 of 185
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

If I'm going to own a car, I want to enjoy the experience of driving the car. I don't care much for an automated chauffeur.

I'm the exact opposite. I hate driving. Give me a driver, especially one that is mostly silent and inoffensive.

For me, driving is a chore like vacuuming, taking out the garbage or washing dishes.

Plus, I enjoy looking out the window while traveling. Occasionally, I sit in the passenger's seat on a regularly travelled road and I'm amazed at what I notice because I'm not operating the vehicle.

If for some bizarre reason I want to drive, there's always ZipCar or normal car rental agencies. Or maybe there's a manual override mode in an autonomous car, but for 99% of my road miles travelled, I'd rather not worry about the nimrod in front of me.

My daily workday commute is about 35 minutes round-trip. It would be far better served in using that time researching investment opportunities rather than driving. Or I could goof off and just read Twitter. Either way, it's 35 minutes of unproductive time that could be allocated differently. Basically, this is why rich people have chauffeurs. It's more productive reading the Wall Street Journal in the back seat rather than sitting up front driving the vehicle and worrying about that truck in the next lane.

In a similar way, I've given up ironing clothes, something I did twenty years ago. I just take my dress shirts and pants to the cleaners. They deal with it.

Also, I won't live in a house without a dishwashing machine.

• Reply 95 of 185
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Some type of extended OS for a car yes, driverless vehicle no. Apple will start small and then work up. And it will be profitable from the start.
  • Reply 96 of 185
    Quote:

I'm the exact opposite. I hate driving. Give me a driver, especially one that is mostly silent and inoffensive.

For me, driving is a chore like vacuuming, taking out the garbage or washing dishes.

Plus, I enjoy looking out the window while traveling. Occasionally, I sit in the passenger's seat on a regularly travelled road and I'm amazed at what I notice because I'm not operating the vehicle.

If for some bizarre reason I want to drive, there's always ZipCar or normal car rental agencies. Or maybe there's a manual override mode in an autonomous car, but for 99% of my road miles travelled, I'd rather not worry about the nimrod in front of me.

I get what you're saying and I know you're not the only one that shares that sentiment but I guess in many cases it depends on what type of vehicle you have.  If you own a stable of cars like Jony Ive or Phil Schiller have, then driving may not be as much of a chore.

• Reply 97 of 185

Let's not forget that Apple's Eddy Cue joined automotive Ferrari board of directors at the end of 2012. And for sure there he learned about car making...

• Reply 98 of 185
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

lets see apple has what 170+ billion it could buy a car company

what about designing interiors and ways to easily integrate apple products

carplay  should be a no brainer for car companies but the hesitation tells me apple wants to 

have a work around, apple doesn't want to go into a different industry

they will lose focus

its about easy integration 

how to get carplay into more cars

what about fuel cells for cars, iPads MacBooks etc

• Reply 99 of 185
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I get what you're saying and I know you're not the only one that shares that sentiment but I guess in many cases it depends on what type of vehicle you have.  If you own a stable of cars like Jony Ive or Phil Schiller have, then driving may not be as much of a chore.

It doesn't matter about the type of the vehicle.

I've owned a Mercedes-Benz in the past and I currently own a Toyota by choice.

What's better? Sitting in the back seat of a Toyota reading the Wall Street Journal or driving a Mercedes-Benz? Personally, I'd rather sit in the Toyota's back seat. I'd be focused on the Wall Street Journal anyhow.

Fancy cars are a status symbol, like jewelry.

• Reply 100 of 185
    Quote:

Fancy cars are a status symbol, like jewelry.

I absolutely disagree. They're, in general, a pleasure to drive compared to the non-fancy ones.