iOS, Android dominate smartphone market with 96% combined stake

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

And what does the rather nonexistent Tizen have to do with any of this?

You are missing context. The ad that @Slurpy posted showed that Pebble supports 'Apple, Samsung and Android'. The point being, in @Slurpy's own words, ""Android" has zero brand equity, and they know people are too fucking stupid to even realize their Samsung is running Android. "Android", with it's incredible marketshare, is placed dead-last. "

@TheWhiteFalcon's point was that Samsung is listed there for supporting Android, not because Pebble supported Tizen, which is Samsung exclusive, which is stupid, since they anyway mention support for Android immediately after Samsung.

So, the ad basically reads that Pebble supports "Apple, Android & Android", which, if you consider is stupid. However, if they had written "Supports Apple & Android", you'd bet there'd be a few people who would think Pebble would not work with their Samsung phones.

The end lesson is that Samsung has more recognition than Android, which is why it is specifically mentioned and Android "has zero brand equity".

• Reply 42 of 82
    croprcropr Posts: 1,128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNflicks View Post

The maker of this graph clearly doesn't know the difference between a smart phone and a $40 Alcatel feature phone that "runs" on Android but can't do anything but text and maybe get emails.

Well my son has got such Alcatel smartphone as a present for his birthday.  It runs Google Chrome, Facebook, Twitter,  Gmail, and the agenda app very smoothly.    OK there is virtually no space to install a lot of other apps, and it becomes sluggish if you try to run 5 apps simultaneously, but it has an FM radio, a microUSB card reader and stereo speakers, all features that my iPhone lacks.  

• Reply 43 of 82
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    "Formerly dominant players Microsoft (...)"

Err? Trying to make sense of this nonsense...
  • Reply 44 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sensi wrote: »
    "Formerly dominant players Microsoft (...)"

Err? Trying to make sense of this nonsense...

MS was a dominant player. Remember Windows CE?
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Nope, I remember Symbian, Windows Mobile/Windows CE was nowhere "dominant" in anyway.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Nope, I remember Symbian, Windows Mobile/Windows CE was nowhere "dominant" in anyway.

I don’t recall ever seeing a phone running Symbian. Pre iPhone all I ever saw were HPs (WinMo), Palm, and BB.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    When Android is over 90% market share and iOS under 10% i guess that "iOS, Android" will still "dominate" for half of our fictional press trying to amalgamate the two as if there was any kind of credible competition left regarding the OSes market share, or any kind of "shared" dominance... The "combined stake" will then also be 96% and they will be able to reuse the same headlines and be as much "accurate" as misleading. I just love that story telling...
  • Reply 48 of 82
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I don’t recall ever seeing a phone running Symbian. Pre iPhone all I ever saw were HPs (WinMo), Palm, and BB.
    Well you haven't traveled much that's a given, as Symbian was all over Europe and Asia... :)

Back then (Gartner: World-wide smartphone sales (% of smartphones / % of all phones)):

2007:

Symbian: 63.5% / 6.7%
    Windows Mobile: 12.0% / 1.3%
    RIM: 9.6% / 1.0%
    iOS: 2.7% / 0.3%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system#Market_share
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Well you haven't traveled much that's a given...

Back then (Gartner: World-wide smartphone sales (% of smartphones / % of all phones)):

2007:

Symbian: 63.5% / 6.7%
    Windows Mobile: 12.0% / 1.3%
    RIM: 9.6% / 1.0%
    iOS: 2.7% / 0.3%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system#Market_share

Not much out of the US where Symbian was virtually nonexistent.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Most android phones are broken, used as a toy or in a drawer somewhere.

Yeah. More of them are sold, so more of them are broken, outdated, and replaced. Most iPhones are likely in the same state. When's the last time you saw someone using an iPhone 3Gs around the office? Assuming it didn't evaporate, it's either broken or waiting for "some day" in a drawer.

• Reply 51 of 82
    Still waiting for IDC to be right. about. anything.

IDC predicts Windows Phone will top Apple's iOS in market share by 2015

You are cherry-picking there, and I would rather blame the discrepancy on Microsoft under performing with Windows Phone for many reasons (distribution, initial OEM price, then not unified dev with metro/modern UI apps, etc).
    (...) But despite the tremendous growth of the iPhone since it was introduced in 2007, IDC sees Apple's platform share actually dipping in global share by 2015 to 15.3 percent.
    That prediction is pretty accurate on another hand, only half a point off.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Not much out of the US where Symbian was virtually nonexistent.
    Sure but that doesn't change the fact that Symbian (i.e. Nokia) was globally dominant back then and Windows Mobile nowhere to be so as a distant second, as is iOS relatively to Android nowadays.
  • Reply 53 of 82

Apple doesn't report "Shipping" quantities, they report "Sold Through" quantities.  Android, OTOH, reports product shipped, whether it is in the hands of a consumer or stacked on pallets in a warehouse.  This chart is therefore highly subject to being called rubbish.

I'd suggest a better chart would show data from the major carriers of phone types/OS in actual use, or a chart showing internet usage by platform.

• Reply 54 of 82
    You are cherry-picking there, and I would rather blame the discrepancy on Microsoft under performing with Windows Phone for many reasons (distribution, initial OEM price, then not unified dev with metro/modern UI apps, etc).
    That prediction is pretty accurate on another hand, only half a point off.

IDC is touched you defended their honor.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Marvin wrote: »
    These are sales shares at each given year, not overall marketshare.

Apple has sold over 1 billion devices so far, Android activations haven't reached 2 billion yet but probably will later this year. The graph shown would make you think that there are over 5x as many Android devices as iOS but it's less than 2x. Even if you remove tablets, it's not as much as 5x difference for just smartphones.

Over time, this could end up being the case but it depends on the upgrade rates. Tim Cook said that only a small percentage (under 15%) of the existing iPhone userbase upgraded to the iPhone 6. Android users could be upgrading more often. How else would they get the latest software updates?

Thanks. I know when they show browser usage by platform charts change dramatically.
    iOS gains significant share.

I'm not saying Android doesn't have more marketshare, it's just this chart seems fishy.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yeah. More of them are sold, so more of them are broken, outdated, and replaced. Most iPhones are likely in the same state. When's the last time you saw someone using an iPhone 3Gs around the office? Assuming it didn't evaporate, it's either broken or waiting for "some day" in a drawer.

Right? I know my outdated iPhone 6 is already in a drawer somewhere. Piece of crap couldn't even support iOS 8 and was free anyway.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

Right? I know my outdated iPhone 6 is already in a drawer somewhere. Piece of crap couldn't even support iOS 8 and was free anyway.

How many of your iPhones are in your pocket, and how many are in your past?

• Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:

Thanks. I know when they show browser usage by platform charts change dramatically.

iOS gains significant share.

I'm not saying Android doesn't have more marketshare, it's just this chart seems fishy.

Yeah, it's much more even between the two if you look at browser traffic (from this site):

• Reply 59 of 82
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Well my son has got such Alcatel smartphone as a present for his birthday.  It runs Google Chrome, Facebook, Twitter,  Gmail, and the agenda app very smoothly.    OK there is virtually no space to install a lot of other apps, and it becomes sluggish if you try to run 5 apps simultaneously, but it has an FM radio, a microUSB card reader and stereo speakers, all features that my iPhone lacks.  

"Stereo" speakers an inch or so apart are not, in fact "stereo" anything. For FM broadcasts as well as AM there are apps that give you the feed for your iPhone.

• Reply 60 of 82

It charts like this that tend to lead me to believe that there are Android devices sitting in warehouses, lots of Android devices in lots of warehouses.  Are we to believe large numbers of people would buy a smartphone and not use it?  Units shipped does not necessarily correspond to market share. Units sold is the right metric but none of the Android device makers report that value. I'm quite sure they know this number but for obvious reasons choose not to report it.