Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung P

Comments

• Reply 121 of 206
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Surely, that does not mean that the magnetic stripe itself will be unusable with chip cards?

It is unusable if the terminal supports the chip. Since by end of year all merchants take upon themselves the liability if they don't switch to a chip terminal, swiping will soon be obselete (like it is in Canada and Europe). Only a few holdovers will be left over next year.

You can only use your stripe on old terminals, not new ones.

• Reply 122 of 206
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,670member
    Any hopes of Samsung coming up with a single original design idea on their own have faded into the ether. Instead they have ingeniously figured out how to copy other company's works on several dimensions all at the same time. What's next, a toroidal campus design?

Pathetic.
  • Reply 123 of 206
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I still haven't heard a way in which they can reasonably add data per device.

The closest I've heard is by using Find My Friends authentication on a device, which then locks that device to a user's account. Great! So you are given 5GiB of iCloud storage. Now what happens when I turn off Find My Friend authentication on the device. Maybe I'm selling it or maybe I'm just wanting to wipe it and reinstall from scratch because of some wonky issue I'm having. Does it then simply remove 5GiB of data? Presumably I'm using that iCloud storage so what happens to my data? Does it just get deleted? If there is a grace period why can't my friends and I simply use each other devices sign in and out of Find My Friends on each others devices every so often so we get gobs of iCloud storage? What about those that don't realize that their data will be deleted by doing that?

Apple could simply associate the device's IMEI (or other unique hardware identifier, like a serial number) and your Apple ID to each 5G chunk of storage. When the person who buys your device activates the device, Apple will notice that it has changed ownership and can reallocate the quota to the new owner. If your quota falls below the total size of your files. Apple could for instance just do what other storage providers like Dropbox do, and prevent you from syncing until you drop below your quota.

• Reply 124 of 206
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Apple could simply associate the device's IMEI (or other unique hardware identifier, like a serial number) and your Apple ID to each 5G chunk of storage. When the person who buys your device activates the device, Apple will notice that it has changed ownership and can reallocate the quota to the new owner. If your quota falls below the total size of your files. Apple could for instance just do what other storage providers like Dropbox do, and prevent you from syncing until you drop below your quota.

How does that work for non-cellular iPads, iPod Touches, or Macs?
  • Reply 125 of 206
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

How does that work for non-cellular iPads, iPod Touches, or Macs?

The IMEI was just an example of a unique hardware identifier. You could instead use the serial number. 

• Reply 126 of 206
    nuakyeinuakyei Posts: 4member
    Another copy and paste, if they would expect me to buy this true cope and paste then why not buy the original thing iPhone 6, Same-sung is done everything is the same a true mockery product
  • Reply 127 of 206
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    nasserae wrote: »
    The most interesting feature is the 4 hour battery charge in 10 minutes.

So you'll still be "wall hugging" with a Samsung phone... just for less time. :)

Galaxy S6 owners will now have to carry a wall charger and cable just like the iPhone owners they previously mocked.

Samsung also touted the ability to swap a fresh 100% charged battery into their phone in a matter of seconds.

Then they took that away?

#movingforward
  • Reply 128 of 206

Has nobody here ever swiped a chip/PIN card to see what happens?

If you attempt to swipe a card that has a chip/PIN, and the terminal supports chip/PIN, then the terminal will immediately prompt you that swipe is not allowed and you MUST insert your chip. If the terminal is an older style WITHOUT chip/PIN, then you can still swipe a newer chip/PIN card.

If you have a chip/PIN card number loaded into LoopPay, and you wave your Samsung phone in front of a newer terminal that supports chip/PIN, then the terminal will tell you to insert your card just as if you tried to swipe the actual card itself.

LoopPay even mentions this on their website. When LoopPay updates their system to use tokens THEN you'll be able to use chip/PIN cards at chip/PIN terminals without getting told to insert your card.

• Reply 129 of 206
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Sammy, you're shameless.
  • Reply 130 of 206
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The case is obligatory to cover up the pimple and the ugly antenna bands.

Shame for those—like Steve Jobs—who prefer using a pure, naked iPhone.

My case is clear and simple. I see everything... and it's beautiful.

Never ask what Steve would do. Steve and Tim could afford to buy a new iPhone everyday*, but not the rest of us.

*Why do you think Tim showers with his Watch? Is it because it's water resistant? No, it's because he can afford to! ;)

• Reply 131 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The most interesting feature is the 4 hour battery charge in 10 minutes.

That would be 4 hours of battery life with a 10-minute charge. I got more than that easily with my 5s and get more than that easily using an iPad charger with the 6 Plus--close to 1 hour of battery life for every minute of charge.

• Reply 132 of 206
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Follow the LEADER!
  • Reply 133 of 206

Samsung did a good job of cloning the iPhone 6 design and the iPhone 4 glass design.  It quite beautiful.  The price was leaked for the European market; and it even more expensive then the 6+ model with same storage!

• Reply 134 of 206
    cpsro wrote: »
    I see Bendgate in Samsung's future!

Nope. Bendgate was a manufactured controversy by the Android Mafia. Did they raise a stink when it was proven that the HTC One m8 was even easier to bend? Nope, not a peep. Their silence was deafening, and ludicrously biased. All "*gates" stick to Apple, but roll off the back of Android device manufacturers. It's troll rule #1.
  • Reply 135 of 206
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The price will get discounted I guess. They might ship some volume to the less than discriminating/knowledgable but I can't work out how this will make them money. What a knock off, their core competence really is copying.
  • Reply 136 of 206
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Android fans are going to march on the streets in protest of the Samsung S6.
    Not really, they'll just buy something else.

In addition to everything else, this thing appears to have a glass back. Ugh. Worst design feature ever. If you drop the thing, double the chance that you'll end up with shattered glass. I've never understood that design "feature" on any the phones that have had it (including the iPhone 4 and Nexus 4).
  • Reply 137 of 206

Anyone buying an S6 will certainly want to accessorize it!

• Reply 138 of 206
    mubaili wrote: »
    I do wonder if there is something the Apple iPhone community can do to stop Samsung or other companies from doing this kind blatantly copying. Should we have kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to take some ads on NYT and WSJ to call Samsung out on their shameless tactics. What Samsung has done is back companies like HTC, Xiaomi, Huawei into a corner and force them to copy too. This is very bad for the industry. we should all start to boycott other products from Samsung to force them.

It's Apple's problem. I sympathize, but you can't really force Samsung to do anything. Xiaomi and GooPhone are also rip off artists. As long as they're chasing Apple, Apple is doing something right.
  • Reply 139 of 206
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Hope, Apple brings back 32GB as the lowest denominator starting from iphone 6 .

They've never offered 32GB as the lowest denominator.
  • Reply 140 of 206
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Is it as good as the iPhone? Hell to the no! But is it better than the Galaxy S5? I think yes. 

As others have already said this phone is taking a lot of cues from the iPhone. No removable battery, no SD, metal, and even the design. I will say that I am jealous of one feature and that is the screen size. I think 5.1" is the perfect size for a smartphone. I ended up getting the iPhone 6 plus because of the much better battery life and also because I though the 6 was just a tad too small. But I sometimes wish my plus was a wee bit smaller. I think around 5 to 5.3" is the real sweet spot, though it is not something that bothers me too terribly much. 

The S6 might save a few defectors from Samsung but it won't completely stop the bleeding to Apple and even to Xiaomi on the low end. I watched a few videos of Lollipop and wasn't that impressed. The best move Samsung made was to remove a lot of their own bloatware that ate up the battery. In the video at least they were unable to slow it down and it actually appeared to finally be fast thanks to fewer apps hogging resources.

But Samsung's glory days are in the past. If they don't figure out a way to make some big bucks from their other divisions or invent an entire new product category I don't see them coming close to their heydays anytime soon.