Griffin introduces WatchStand for Apple Watch, LaCie debuts USB-C hard drive for MacBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
Two companies major accessory makers have capitalized on Apple's latest hardware announcements to introduce new products: Griffin has revealed the WatchStand for the Apple Watch, while LaCie has premiered a USB-C version of the Porsche Design Mobile Drive, aimed at Apple's 12-inch MacBook.

Griffin WatchStand

The WatchStand is a charging dock that elevates the Apple Watch on a pedestal. Rather than include its own charger, though, the product requires users to feed the official Apple charging cable through the pedestal section. Grooves on the inside of the pedestal let users wrap extra cable length into place.

Griffin says that the dock should fit all versions of the Apple Watch, and support vertical and horizontal orientations. A weighted base keeps the WatchStand from tipping over; the base also features a raised lip meant to prop up an iPhone for viewing.

LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive

The Porsche Design Mobile Drive is an external hard drive with a 3 mm aluminum enclosure. On computers that support USB-C or USB 3.0 natively, like the new MacBook, the device supports transfer speeds up to 100 MBps. A bundled adapter cable lets users hook the drive up to USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices. The product is also compatible with OS X's Time Machine backups.

The updated Mobile Drive is shipping sometime in the second quarter in 500 GB, 1 TB, and 2 TB capacities; prices haven't been announced. The Griffin WatchStand will be on sale this summer for $30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

When is the iMac scheduled to be refreshed (based on historical norms)?

• Reply 2 of 44
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Awhile...
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Bring on the USB-C & AppleWatch accessories!!
  • Reply 4 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I hope Apple releases it's own slick stand. 

• Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Awhile...

Thanks!

• Reply 6 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,098member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I expect Broadwell iMacs to come in the next couple months now that the CPU's are being produced in quantity.  Isn't the October timeframe the approximate window for the next "major" update for iMacs?  Whispers in the industry expect that time when they will come out with Skylake CPU-equipped iMacs, obviously with shipping dates in January 2016.

• Reply 7 of 44
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Porsche Design Mobile Drive is an external hard drive with a 3 mm aluminum enclosure. On computers that support USB-C or USB 3.0 natively, like the new MacBook, the device supports transfer speeds up to 100 MBps. 

Why not put an SSD in there and let USB 3.0 run wild?

• Reply 8 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

Why not put an SSD in there and let USB 3.0 run wild?

Fist shoe of many to drop I expect.

• Reply 9 of 44
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I hope Apple releases it's own slick stand. 

I thought I read that the box it comes in is the stand — you just plug the Lightning cable into it — but I haven't seen any pictures or videos.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

For those with discerning tastes and money left over after they have paid for a watch that costs more than what a lot of people pay for a laptop.

• Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

For those with discerning tastes and money left over after they have paid for a watch that costs more than what a lot of people pay for a laptop.

People who've bought sub $349 laptops probably rarely buy iPhones with thousands of dollars in service contract commitments.... so the Apple Watch iPhone accessory drifts into mootness.

• Reply 12 of 44
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 181member
    "Porsche Design" hard drive. Now that is hilarious. Its a bloody rectangle box!!!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    It might be first to market but the watch stand is truly horrible. Is that really the best they could do? A 12 year old could have designed that. Fail.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member
    So is that all she wrote for Lightning and Thunderbolt?
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

"Porsche Design" hard drive. Now that is hilarious. Its a bloody rectangle box!!!

They're an indépendant industrial design firm (obviously somewhat playing off their relatives car company), I've seen similar labels for other stuff.

• Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Design_Group

• Reply 17 of 44
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

I wouldn't touch anything Porsche related...only Android and Windows Phone users drive them.

• Reply 18 of 44
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Design_Group

I am aware of them, my point being that the "design" is severely lacking in the result. 2-bit Jonnie down the road would be embarrassed to put his name to it.

• Reply 19 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Can you plug the hard drive to the mains and the hard drive to the monitor and the monitor to the mb? Or any single line configuration thereof? This could get very tidy.

• Reply 20 of 44
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Lacie bundled an adapter, which is smart. USB-C is yet another new port. I love the lightning port for iOS devices but why is it lacking on the new laptop? Why did Apple go with USB-C?

What say the cognoscenti. It makes me wonder if this new port has special abilities that Apple will tap into later.