Apple's Tim Cook plans to give away all of his money

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    This is very good of Tim, of course. I do think it would be better for our government to get some guts and tax large income at a large rate, so it would be more difficult to accumulate such wealth. After all, more money for them, means less money for us.

The trouble with individual foundations is that only projects the individual believes are worthy get funding. If this money were taxed instead, the government could figure out how best to spend it for the common good. There is more accountability that way.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    justbobf wrote: »
    This is very good of Tim, of course. I do think it would be better for our government to get some guts and tax large income at a large rate, so it would be more difficult to accumulate such wealth. After all, more money for them, means less money for us.

The trouble with individual foundations is that only projects the individual believes are worthy get funding. If this money were taxed instead, the government could figure out how best to spend it for the common good. There is more accountability that way.

I don't trust the government an inch to spend my money the right way.

And even if they happened to choose a right way, it would be far more wasteful. We have too much tax here in the UK, like you do in the US.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    justbobf wrote: »

To be blunt, you have developed some unusual ideas.

The income tax isn't progressive, it's punitive. It harms the maximum number of people who are least able to afford it. The current tax code is a nightmarish tangle that has been piling up on people for decades and must be replaced with the FairTax. I believe all taxes are misspent, but the FairTax would (temporarily) reboot the system and take out the favoritism and corruption. As long as there are people in Washington there will be corrupting influences, but at some point the old must be swept away to make room for the new.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Man -- if this isn't evidemce to AI that their site should do this already (block quotes for users on your blocked list) then I don't know what is! Melgross? Can this be submitted as a site feature request?

It is not so easy. My method basically screen scrapes looking for predictable strings. With VBulletin, and hence Huddler, since it is a direct rip off of VBulletin, the way it works is that the page is assembled from the database column of user comments but the quoted text is not a separate object. It is just one big block of formatted text. That is why only the original posts can be easily blocked. Those are identifiable objects. 

The fundamental database schema prevents the necessary manipulation of the data in such a way as to hide nested comments, so don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon.

• Reply 105 of 111
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

How about him using some of his money to make the XMac so many of us want?

• Reply 106 of 111
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mactac wrote: »
    How about him using some of his money to make the XMac so many of us want?

You can't possibly write that and think it's a reasonable request.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    ^ We just did. 

Dasanman69 should sue for title infringement.

My lawyers are on it already. ;)
  • Reply 108 of 111
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mstone wrote: »
    Note: See the first three var declarations in the code. The 'assArray' holds the list of user names, the 'uidArray' holds the corresponding list of user ids so if you wanted to add another user to block, to get the user id  you would hover over the user's name in the comment and observe the id number in the status bar at the bottom of your browser. The 'nicArray' value holds nicknames and can be anything you want, in this case the first index is 'BF' for obvious reasons.

I added some names and it stopped working. As someone who doesn't use JS it took me a minute to realize TextEdit was adding:
    ...instead of:
    '
  • Reply 109 of 111
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    How about pay the hard working people that work at Apple stores and many retail outlets 1st with a living wage?
  • Reply 110 of 111
    azraazra Posts: 1member
    While you were me alive and well, you can donate me some money .. not when you can not be more then just another person will manage with your money and again there is no me nowhere: D
    change my life Mr. Cook,
  • Reply 111 of 111
    Amazing, and even more so when it's done so quietly without all the "look at me" showboating like Bill Gates. Tim Cook, please, please, please DO NOT give your money to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Bill Gates has used, and wielded philanthropy as a tool, and weapon to increase his wealth and power, and not purely for good. There are numerous articles about it, and how he utilizes his foundation as a way to move markets, oppress the vulnerable, gain political, financial, and social influence, and many other self-serving purposes.