Two-thirds of Apple Pay users running into problems at checkout, survey claims

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 123
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Is Panrea considered a "quality" establishment? Because they don't have NFC at every register. The last two times I was there I ended up at a register where I couldn't use ?Pay.



    Last time I checked, Panera was a partner for in app purchases. I think the idea is you order in app, and when you arrive your food is waiting for you. I don't think my local Panera has any NFC readers, but they are set up for fast pickup.

  • Reply 82 of 123
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

     

     

    I tried once to use it at the McDs drive-thru... NEVER AGAIN. They had to swing the whole CC-reader terminal and hang it out the window for me to reach my phone out to complete the transaction. Then it took three tries for it to work. It's so much faster to give them my card, have them swipe, and be on my way.

     

    I've had no issues, however, using it places like Walgreens, Staples, and Home Depot.




    Didn't they announce that McD was going to instal NFC readers outside their windows? sounds like McD corporate needs to crack the whip and get the franchise owners back in line.

  • Reply 83 of 123
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    friedmud wrote: »
    This is overblown.

    I use it a LOT...and yes, there are problems... but I would say it's about 1/20 of the times I use it there is an issue.

    I still would have answered the questions with an "affirmative" that there are problems: but saying that everyone is having problems doesn't really represent how frequent or pervasive those problems are.

    So far, my favorite place to use it is at the Shaw's Star Market Grocery store. When you use Apple Pay there it literally doesn't ask you ANY questions (cash, member number, PIN, etc). You don't even have to touch the machine at all.

    Walgreens is the worst at this. Even with Apple Pay, checking out is a PITA with all the stupid prompts on the machine...

    Also: let's not forget that things are not always peachy with plastic cards either. Why does it always feel like the person in FRONT of me has trouble swiping their damn card?! ;-)

    I'd say my experience matches yor fairly well.
  • Reply 84 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    I've only used ?Pay a few times at Home Depot and Sprouts Grocery with AMEX. Worked perfectly each time.

  • Reply 85 of 123
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

    Wow, people actually "swipe" cards in the USA? Even the Netherlands have abandoned that technology ^^

  • Reply 86 of 123

    I've had a few problems, but when it works it is much faster than putting in a pin and waiting for it to verify. I wish it was accepted everywhere, then no more hackers making me change my debit card three times a year (and all of the other online payments needing to be updated with the new card number).

    I'm happy with Apple Pay!

  • Reply 87 of 123
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 125member

    The biggest problem is that electronic payment still is not available at most stores.

  • Reply 88 of 123
    I have had problems with regular cards too. Just in the past month:

    Debit card got compromised and had to cancel & get a new card plus dispute charges.

    Had a card reader at a merchant not able to read magnetic field.

    Had a merchant's ability to accept cards be "down".

    Had an erroneous charge at an establishment who double processed the card.

    Apple Pay is not unique.
  • Reply 89 of 123
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,278member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

     

    Yet another fluff piece by a marketing firm, sampling only 6000 customers out of how many millions of customers who now own an iPhone 6?

     

    You have to keep in mind, there could be many factors in failure rates or delays in processing... The issue with staff not knowing anything about it boils down to strictly being a training issue by their employer, or lack thereof, and usually indicates the quality of the overall establishment, and the service level one should expect. As sog35 mentioned, if you go into a quality establishment, there are NO issues with ?PAY.

     

    As for transaction delays and / or failures, this could be related to poor network connectivity at the shop, a slow or buggy terminal, or a terminal whose NFC chip is malfunctioning. None of these issues are related to ?PAY, as Apple doesn't provide any of this gear to the merchants.

     

    These problems ALSO occur with standard credit card transactions, in fact, on a much more frequent basis, which this marketing firm fails to mention, how convenient.

     

    Now with the massive success of ?PAY, and the launch of that copycat crap from Scamsung, everyone is trying to twist real facts into anything that might showcase ?PAY in a negative light, pathetic.


     While what you say that there is almost nothing wrong with Apple Pay in how it's performs, the fact remains the same that these users are still having issues with the transaction using Apple Pay which results in a bad experience with Apple Pay. This is what this is about. Regardless of whom is to "blame".

  • Reply 90 of 123
    I love Apple Pay. It is so easy and quick.

    I have used it regularly at:
    Whole Foods
    Walgreens
    Home Depot
    Jamba Juice
    Vending Machines (not sure which company)
    Game Star
    Panera
    McDonalds (not drive through)
    Firehouse Subs

    I also have used it in my Starbucks app.
  • Reply 91 of 123
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,059member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

     

    I use Costco with my Amex card, which notifies me when I make a purchase (with and without Apple Pay). I am pre-authorized for $150 then the final amount is handled behind the scenes and I'm not notified. My Costco Amex serves as my membership card, which is required to operate the pump. How will this change when they take Apple Pay?


     

    Didn't I hear an announcement recently that Costco is discontinuing their combination credit card/membership arrangement with AMEX?  It's set to expire within the year or so, if I remember correctly.

  • Reply 92 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

     

     

    Didn't I hear an announcement recently that Costco is discontinuing their combination credit card/membership arrangement with AMEX?  It's set to expire within the year or so, if I remember correctly.




    Yep, I think their new deal is with VISA.

  • Reply 93 of 123
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    netrox wrote: »
    Interesting, I've used Apple Pay without issues.

    Walgreens worked perfectly. WFM worked perfectly.




    I like Walgreens the best - I never touch the terminal to authorize the amount. With WFM, I have to click "OK" to authorize the amount.

    The best is to avoid touching terminal that has been touched by many shoppers, ew.


    Try washing your hands
  • Reply 94 of 123
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by netrox View Post



    I like Walgreens the best - I never touch the terminal to authorize the amount. With WFM, I have to click "OK" to authorize the amount.



    The best is to avoid touching terminal that has been touched by many shoppers, ew.

     

    hope you dont ever use currency, or door knobs.

  • Reply 95 of 123

    I haven't had a single issue; not at Whole Foods, not at Walgreen, not at Staples. I haven't tried at McDs mostly because I try not to eat there.

     

    If they're advertised as taking Apple Pay, it just works. That is my experience, ymmv.

  • Reply 96 of 123
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post



    In October liability for fraudulent card-swipe-with-signature transactions shifts from banks to merchants who have not upgraded. Some won't change till then.



    That's the window I'm looking towards: until then some will, many won't... not all that different from other tech introductions.

     

    Still in the long run far better than credit cards.

  • Reply 97 of 123
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Axcess99 View Post



    Only had one failed scan attempt ever.

    Always comes up and green done (and goes through) within a couple seconds. Of top of my head: local grocery store, Walgreens, Subway, McD, Home Depot.

    I do not pay attention to apple pay "partner" list. If I see contactless payment icon, I try it. CVS was the only place so far to appear to have that capability and reject it. Cashiers don't seem to be confused by it; most don't seem to notice what means I use on the terminal (swipe or contactless).

     

     

    I do the same with mixed results. Tim Hortons has a terminal, but it doesn't work. The Apple pay recognizes the terminal, but the transaction doesn't go through. Lucky Market claims to be an Apple Partner, but it always says card declined. Then I use the card associated with the phone, and it works. I have had it work at Home Depot, Meijer, Whole Foods, Walgreens, and McDonalds. McDonald's is a mixed bag. It says it is an Apple pay partner, and that it is accepted in the drive through, but the people working the windows don't know how it works. The other day the person wanted to take my phone, but that obviously wouldn't work. Walgreen is a pain because you still have to type in all kinds of stuff in the terminal. Whole Foods it works great at. It works great inside McDonalds.

  • Reply 98 of 123
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

     

     

    Didn't I hear an announcement recently that Costco is discontinuing their combination credit card/membership arrangement with AMEX?  It's set to expire within the year or so, if I remember correctly.


     

     

    You are right. Boo. Amex is great.

  • Reply 99 of 123
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    I used it at Whole Foods at least 10 times and it never asked for a Pin or signature




    Me neither.

  • Reply 100 of 123
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    hope you dont ever use currency, or door knobs.

    There's so much stupidity in the world and the moron who made the comment about this is obviously not very well educated, what he doesn't understand is that there are germs everywhere in our environment which is clock full of all kinds of deadly pathogens. The reason we have an immune system is to ward off all these things though eventually something will kill us.? The trick is to have a strong immune system. In fact living in an antiseptic environment weakens the immune system because it does not build up immunity. Iit's healthier to live in a relatively dirty environment because of this. Just ask the Eskimos who died off because we brought our germs to them which hither to they had never been exposed to. So the moral of the story is yes touch as many surfaces as you can and build up a natural immunity to the bugs
Sign In or Register to comment.