Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, please.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple packaging is absolutely horrible. They make it really difficult to get the product out safely. You can't grab it. You have to flip it upside down, that is, if it didn't accidentally slip out unexpectedly and fall on the floor while removing the top of the box.

I bet you are related to the person who stood on his fridge door and broke his neck then sued the fridge company for not including a warning. Net result we have to pay for all the extra verbiage caused because every frigging item has a booklet in 20 languages telling consumers what not to do with the product.

• Reply 62 of 73
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Oh, please.
    mstone wrote: »

Apple packaging is absolutely horrible. They make it really difficult to get the product out safely. You can't grab it. You have to flip it upside down, that is, if it didn't accidentally slip out unexpectedly and fall on the floor while removing the top of the box.

I bet you are related to the person who stood on his fridge door and broke his neck then sued the fridge company for not including a warning. Net result we have to pay for all the extra verbiage caused because every frigging item has a booklet in 20 languages telling consumers what not to do with the product.

Whilst I sympathise with your point of view, mstone has a good point, particularly in relation to the iPhone packaging.

Also, not everyone is dexterous. It's very easy indeed to accidentally drop the iPhone when opening its packaging, even when careful.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

for all the you whiners on this "single port" machine, Apple can't satisfy everyone's needs. Buy whatever that fits you. 

This machine focuses on mobile capability for people on the go but need more capable machine than iPad, so they rarely dock it or connect it to external monitor or external media or such, so no Thunderbolt and other ports included.

Bottom line, consider it as an iPad with built-in kickass keyboard and Touchpad with capability to run full Mac OS. If you need more than that, get yourself an Air or Pro.

I'll add I think the single port idea is fantastic. Now finally all we need to buy is one USB-C hub, which will allow us to have a single connector when plugging the thing into keyboard, mouse, display, backup drive and what ever else on the desk. That way I don't have to unplug multiple devices when I want to throw the laptop in a bag and leave the house.  Most people have so little imagination! 

see link, yes I know its standard USB but there will be plenty USB-C versions coming

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/178-8364951-5061456?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb-c+hub&rh=i:aps,k:usb-c+hub

• Reply 64 of 73
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

How can anyone, even a genius, unless they have X-ray vision, know that holding the box even slightly at an angle will spill the contents? As they struggle to get the top off, which is designed so tight, and no where to get a finger hold, it would be very likely that the when the top finally releases it would shake and spill the contents. Absolutely crap design, all for a pretty presentation. Classic form over function fail.

I think I have to agree with you here. Too tight a lid, too loose a phone. No vacuum relief, no warning, no fail-safe. I bet drops happen all the time.
  • Reply 65 of 73

The worst apple packaging award goes to the time capsule. Thr darn thing fell out of the box and bloodied my shin. The right way to open the box is to have it on a table and lift up the cover. The time capsule stands unsupported otherwise and will fall out of you hold it in your hand and lift the cover.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I'll add I think the single port idea is fantastic. Now finally all we need to buy is one USB-C hub, which will allow us to have a single connector when plugging the thing into keyboard, mouse, display, backup drive and what ever else on the desk. That way I don't have to unplug multiple devices when I want to throw the laptop in a bag and leave the house.  Most people have so little imagination! 

see link, yes I know its standard USB but there will be plenty USB-C versions coming

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/178-8364951-5061456?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb-c+hub&rh=i:aps,k:usb-c+hub

You might not think it so great after you have tripped over the power cord a few times and had it yank hard a few times because of the lack of magsafe, had to replace the cable then after one trip to many, you find the socket is broken.

Still, there are currently other models to choose from so for those who like magsafe and don't like dongles it's not a problem while there are alternative choices.

• Reply 67 of 73
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Once this comes in 13.3" and bigger, it can replace the MacBook Air. Plus a faster processor and an extra USB port.

I think the lines between MacBook, MacBook Air and even MacBook Pro are getting fuzzy. Apple is going to want to simplify the lineup. I see the new MacBook as the start of a new Retina based line of Mac laptops in three physical sizes:

• 12" super light and thin, meant for mobility but alas little cpu power: This is what was introduced and it's actually smaller and lighter than the current 11" Air.

• 14" mid size, probably smaller and lighter than the current 13" Air: It will have more power and ports than the 12" and essentially replace the 13" Air and the 13" Pro. It will be offered at different price points, whether you're more of a Pro user or Air.

• 16" full size, smaller and lighter than the current 15" Pro: It will be available with Pro performance if that's what you need.

The days of non-Retina Macs will soon be behind us. If the iPhone and iPad are available in only 2 to 3 basic models, why would the Macbook line need more?

• Reply 68 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

In short: RTFM.

• Reply 69 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Whilst I sympathise with your point of view, mstone has a good point, particularly in relation to the iPhone packaging.

Also, not everyone is dexterous. It's very easy indeed to accidentally drop the iPhone when opening its packaging, even when careful.

To you, who the F bashing Apple would have a good point because he/she is on your side. Be honest, the guy's comment is silly.

• Reply 70 of 73
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

I could do a much better job, and by the way, I do design packaging for medical devices.

Send them your resume.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    kmac1036 wrote: »
    I truly hope sales on this thing just fall flat. I think the tech on the battery, trackpad, logic board, & keyboard sound great, roll that out to the rest of the lineup. But this machine is just too limited.

It's an ultra portable. If you need more machine then there are other MacBooks. Don't understand why you'd want this one to fail just because you need something else..,
  • Reply 72 of 73
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member

I'm confused about when this will actually become available to buy, because there has been no pre-order and it is supposedly going to 'ship' April 10th?  That's a day that will be difficult, if not impossible, to get close to an apple store, let alone the web store, due to the Apple watch pre-order.  Any intel on buying the new MacBook?

• Reply 73 of 73
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    jodyz wrote: »
    I'm confused about when this will actually become available to buy, because there has been no pre-order and it is supposedly going to 'ship' April 10th?  That's a day that will be difficult, if not impossible, to get close to an apple store, let alone the web store, due to the Apple watch pre-order.  Any intel on buying the new MacBook?

Sounds like you know as much as anyone outside of Apple. I'm kind of surprised Apple isn't shouting the release date from the mountain tops, but instead they're just saying "coming soon". I think the only official mention of a date was at the announcement event.