Apple has target ship date of 2019 for electric car project, but it won't be self driving - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 166
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And the Financial Times reported this last week:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/965a2e38-5e3b-11e5-a28b-50226830d644.html

It is my understanding that Jony Ive has attended this "event" for a few years now.
  • Reply 62 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but couldn't you say the same thing about Tesla a few years ago?  

True, but I didn't buy a 1.0 Tesla either.  A lot of the Tesla Roadster, most importantly the frame, was supplied by Lotus aka Toyota.  The details on Apple's car remain unknown to us, but unless they partner with an entity that has experience making cars for their supply chain...no way would I buy one.  If you buy a computer and it turns out to be junk, even expensive junk, it just sits on a shelf.  A car you still have to pay to keep it registered even if you don't drive it, and if you are willing to drive a death trap just because it has an apple logo...well, you and I differ on that.

• Reply 63 of 166
    sog35 wrote: »
    ok. 

Where are all the people who said Apple wasn't building a car but just a dashboard.

come on. admit you were wrong.

There in the same group as those who knew Apple weren't making a phone or a tablet. Two private messages I received when iPad was announced to apologise for dismissing my idea as stupid that Apple would produce a 10" tablet. Most people admitted nothing however. Some even boldly claimed they said this coming when a week prior they were ridiculing the idea of an Apple tablet. No redeeming character at all for some. It's sad. When you're wrong your wrong and my belief is just stick your hand up and admit it so we can all move on.
  • Reply 64 of 166
    blastdoor wrote: »
    If one must drive a car, then there are plenty of good cars that people love that are already on the market. It's not like the smartphone market in 2007. 

If you really want to make automobile transportation a better experience then you need to eliminate the need to drive. 

Mark my words, though -- Apple will not be selling cars to end-users in the way they sell Macs to end users. This is going to be a transportation service that you can access through your iPhone or Apple Watch. 

Where to start.
  • Reply 65 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My guess would be the $55,000 - $75,000 range. The sweet spot for sufficiently large quantity, reasonably comfortable margins, and yet be considered 'luxury'.

There will be a rose gold-plated version of the $75,000 configuration, for $225,000.

That's too much; higher in the demos of the low end late model Iphone and restricts revenues too much.

I'd go from 40K to 80K.  40K is the low end of most luxury makers right now.

They'll do the financing themselves also I bet.

• Reply 66 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

He and I have alread replied because I wasn't trolling.  My point is that Apple has a bad track record with 1.0 products in new categories and that I'd rather buy a car from a car company for the first few iterations.

Gotta love the hate this forum greets people with though.

The Apple Watch is top notch. So, they did nail that one.

Being top notch in a field were you are introducing something totally new from the user perspective is different than being top notch in a field were most of what you would introduce would be streamlining of existing tech (that's what the watch was and it turned up great).

• Reply 67 of 166
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It is my understanding that Jony Ive has attended this "event" for a few years now.

Yes but I don't think this secret meeting on the future of the car is a regular thing at this event. 

• Reply 68 of 166
    A trump card game changer would be an Apple Car with imbedded solar panels on the upward facing surfaces enabling the car to function at least to some degree completely off the grid. This is the kind of thing they would do.
  • Reply 69 of 166
    These rumors are getting more and more incredulous.
    It seems the WSJ may have some financial entanglements with their constant reporting of pie in the sky rumors concerning Apple.
    You read about Apple expertise in batteries which they didn't develop or manufacture and sensors that again that they don't develop nor manufacture.
    Why is this hodgepodge of embellished deceit given more time or media coverage than the real beneficial consumer technology breakthroughs.
  • Reply 70 of 166

You get to chose which of the 2 lies you want to believe

• Reply 71 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

The Apple Watch is top notch. So, they did nail that one.

Being top notch in a field were you are introducing something totally new from the user perspective is different than being top notch in a field were most of what you would introduce would be streamlining of existing tech (that's what the watch was and it turned up great).

A more recent failure, Apple TV.  Aside from the first "non-hobby" iteration that was literally just announced, it was also a failure for dang near a decade.  Their office suite was also sub-par for many years.  Apple has its failures, even if you don't want to believe that, and the world would not be kind to them if Apple made another Fisker Karma.

• Reply 72 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    paxman wrote: »
    I like it. It will be called Apple Tardis.

You can have any color you want as long as it's blue.
    dtrace wrote: »
    A more recent failure, Apple TV.  Aside from the first "non-hobby" iteration that was literally just announced, it was also a failure for dang near a decade.  Their office suite was also sub-par for many years.  Apple has its failures, even if you don't want to believe that, and the world would not be kind to them if Apple made another Fisker Karma.

Apple TV a failure? Why because it's not for you?
  • Reply 73 of 166
    Guess what, Samsung is working on a self driving car, lol
  • Reply 74 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You can have any color you want as long as it's blue.

Apple TV a failure? Why because it's not for you?

4th place in market share, last of the major players in the segment.  After years of trying.  Yeah, that's a failure.

Note that I'm not talking about the new one, which isn't out yet.

• Reply 75 of 166
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Hmm... How big do you think Apple's CURRENT supply chain is? It's larger than the car makers already.

Indeed. People don't understand just how big Apple is...

• Reply 76 of 166
    formosa wrote: »
    But I get your point. I can see "Galaxy Motors" popping up sometime soon...

Don't hold your breath. If Ford can keep Tesla from using "Model 3" then they can certainly keep Samsung from using Galaxy around anything car related (learned to drive in my grandparents Galaxy out on the farm!)
  • Reply 77 of 166
    bdkennedy wrote: »
    It's time to retire the Apple garage pic.

Naw - it's great at pointing out the humor-impaired.
  • Reply 78 of 166
    smurfman wrote: »

Maybe so but airplanes have greater risks that broaden the complexity of a completely autonomous flight – namely passengers on the plane as well as people and real-estate on the ground, cost, and variables taking off and landing. I believe an airplane could easily go autonomous but these heighten risks are why humans need to be on-board and in-control.

If transportation safety actually increases dramatically with autonomous vehicles, it would be a natural transition. It may take 10-15 years after releasing the first autonomous vehicles/trucks, but it'll happen.

1) You're saying there is not enough risk involved that we could have autonomous and pilotless vehicles in 10–15 years?

2) You don't seem to be differentiating between autonomous and pilotless vehicles. Don't think of an autonomous vehicle as Johnny Cab from Total Recall, think of it in terms of a drastic increase in safety and reduction in fuel cost (and wear and tear) due to efficient driving. Again, autonomous vehicles and pilotless vehicles are NOT the same thing. The steps to get to an autonomous vehicle are many, and we've been moving that way soon after the invention of the ICE, and likely even before you were born.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 79 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Don't hold your breath. If Ford can keep Tesla from using "Model 3" then they can certainly keep Samsung from using Galaxy around anything car related (learned to drive in my grandparents Galaxy out on the farm!)

Ha! I forgot about that (Ford Galaxie). (I didn't realize it was spelled "Galaxie" until I checked the wiki page).

But of course, Samsung will counter-sue Ford saying theirs is the Galaxy, not the Galaxie. The court case will drag on for years, and Samsung will still release the Galaxy to the market.

• Reply 80 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Mark my words, though -- Apple will not be selling cars to end-users in the way they sell Macs to end users. This is going to be a transportation service that you can access through your iPhone or Apple Watch. 

Nope. They are designing a car to sell to people. If services like Uber want to use them, Apple will be fine with it. But individuals who choose to buy a car from Apple will be able to do so. Nothing in Apple's history suggests they would deploy a business model that you suggest. They make products that they feel do great things and that people want.