Microsoft woos Mac owners with $300 Windows 10 'Trade Up' promotion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    macapfel wrote: »
    Clever, Microsoft. Anyone else has to pay at least $1000 to get a Mac, you want to have it for just $300!

Heh... I think my 2006 Macmini is still worth more than 300$.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    revenant wrote: »

i meant  you pay for what you get. my wife had a toshiba that was plastic and loud when it moved ever so lightly on her lap. her computer was cheaper, but the battery and specs were dreadful. 

Yes, I understand. Just that without Apple no money in the world would buy you a designed computer that deserves this attribute.

Like with so many consumer electronics. Remember the mess VCRs were to program? Why on earth only NOW appliances start to be decent in terms of interface and design? I know, Braun, B&O, Loewe etc but in general all that stuff designed by nerds without any idea for aesthetics or use makes your cringe.
    Be sure that without Apple you'd still be happily typing away on your BB, have heavy and ugly and ever harder to use PCs with floppy drives and CD-ROM. etc. heck, maybe the music bunnies would still be dying or implement funny DRM schemes. NEXT, think about how computers entered education. How Apple stuff changed the lives for impaired people. That almost makes you forgive them easily the music app and the iWork's upgrade :)
  • Reply 43 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Prior Windows version numbers are marketing. I think 10 is the actual version number. (Plus it matches conveniently with OS X ).

It would be Windows 12 if it were representative of actual version history. Apple II is correct about distancing themselves from Win 8, as is your observation of copying OS X. I believe they said that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows. They will most likely update it like Apple does. Windows 10.1 will probably be next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

• Reply 44 of 71
    The folks at Microsoft have clearly been reading about IBM's recent successes with Macs and have come up with their own upgrade plan.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

i almost feel sorry for them.

• Reply 46 of 71
    Our mall has hired extra security to handle the hundreds of people lined up overnight in hopes of being the first trade in their kludgy and confusing old Macs.
  • Reply 46 of 71

I tell you what though, if I still had my Bondi iMac, they could have had that for $300 and I would have been straight on fleabay with the $300 piece of junk I had rinsed them for.  :smokey: 

EDIT:

"...that are at most six years old."

Whaaat?  They'll be demanding working units next...  My 7 year old aluminium iMac still runs El Cap like a dream!!

• Reply 48 of 71
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

They would need to pay a lot more like my retirement and then some before I would even put a slight thought into using Windows of any kind.

• Reply 49 of 71
    rogifan wrote: »
    To be fair that's as disingenuous as this:

Mac-Pro-Problems.jpg

What is that? A 56Kbps external modem from 1994?
  • Reply 50 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Probably 90% of current Mac users started out on Windows and switched to Mac. They aren't going back.

• Reply 51 of 71

Darn.

Microsoft only wants MacBooks that are 6 years old or younger.

But those computers are still going strong!

OS X 10.11 still runs on my MacBook 2008, which is 7 years old.

Microsoft should be far more generous.

I would love to trade in my Powerbook 2000 model for a new PC.  At 15 years old, the Powerbook long ago has been gathering dust on my shelf. $300 for that would help give me a new shiny Windows 10 Laptop or Desktop.

So Microsoft, don't be so cheap.  

Open up your pockets if you want Windows converts.

• Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Probably 90% of current Mac users started out on Windows and switched to Mac. They aren't going back.

I did - when i first saw the all - in one - white ones, i bought 3 for my small business, i loved the design, loved the speed, and liked the look of mac os. I bought them though with the intent of loading up windows, assuming that mac os would not work. I never did load windows...

• Reply 53 of 71

$300 for a 6 year old or newer iMac? Is this some sort of April Fools joke? 

• Reply 54 of 71
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member

All 2009 Macs can still run Yosemite and will most likely still be supported by El Capitan. They may need to be maxed out with RAM, but I wouldn't call trading one in for $300 credit toward a new PC running Windows 10 as a …….. "Trade Up". 

• Reply 55 of 71
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Ran a computer chemistry tutorial last week and 2 out of 22 new-ish Win 10 machines crashed at start-up. Microsoft is bad joke that you keep hearing everywhere.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess me and Microsoft agree on one thing. Macs worth 50% more than PCs.

MS will make more net profit reselling used Apple gear than they will by flogging their new wares.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

$300 for a 6 year old or newer iMac? Is this some sort of April Fools joke? 

this way, they can tell which potential customers are extra stupid

• Reply 57 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mstone wrote: »
    I belong to the exclusive and wonderful 10% :)
  • Reply 58 of 71
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It seems like Windows 10 came pretty quick. What ever happened to Windows 9? I guess that they just skipped completely over that number. Maybe they were trying to run away from 8 and simply moving to 9 wasn't far enough removed from the nightmare that was 8.

Not that I really pay much attention to Windows releases since I never use Windows, but I think that Windows 8 must have been a huge failure and a big misstep, and that's why MS decided to make the move to Windows 10. 

I still think that this whole convergence of Touch with vintage desktop OSes is a terrible idea, and I never wish to see Apple head in that direction. And no, I don't ever want to see Apple make any ridiculous 2 in 1 product that's worse than the 2 product categories that it's attempting to replace. Talk about a downgrade.

Point of information:  While Windows 8 was both a failure and huge misstep (of the sort that happens when a guy best suited for selling used cars on a shoddy lot is placed at the head of a technology company and has utterly no notion about "the vision thing"), skipping "Windows 9" as a name most likely has a much more practical aspect...

...given the way search engines work, googling for the new system would've mired people in links about Win 95 and 98 for a good long time, and I read articles about meetings in Redmond on just this issue before the name was announced.

• Reply 59 of 71
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    To be fair that's as disingenuous as this:

Mac-Pro-Problems.jpg

not really. the mac vs dell has what you actually need to run it -- the cables. the above "Before" doesnt doesnt show anything.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

not really. the mac vs dell has what you actually need to run it -- the cables. the above "Before" doesnt doesnt show anything.

Not only that, the pile of wires behind the image on the right seems to be photoshopped in and is doubtfully directly correlated to the equipment on display.