Microsoft represents only serious competition for Apple hardware, Steve Ballmer says

Comments

• Reply 81 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Of course. Did you expect anything less.

Nope. Imagine the snickering if Apple released a laptop like this. Everyone in the tech press would be calling it fugly. I'd be real nervous about throwing this thing in a backpack with other stuff.

hera_hero_05-100622990-large.png

I am not so sure about that. 

I think that if Apple released a MacBook that had a detachable screen that basically became an iPad (even if it only lasted 3 hours) the tech press and consumers would love it. I know I would. Even if it looked like that when closed.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple do something similar and better in the next few years.

I certainly hope Apple does anyway. They could make a killer machine with their industrial design and come up with something similar to the Surface Book, only better.

Imagine a 13" MacBook Pro running OSX with a screen that detaches from the keyboard and then becomes an iPad Pro. That absolutely would sell like hotcakes in my opinion.

Price it starting just under $2000, yes please!

• Reply 82 of 230
    This guy has zero credibility on tech issues...
  • Reply 83 of 230
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    paxman wrote: »
    I am not sure, it is hard to predict who will rise and who will crumble over time, but for anybody to challenge Apple in the relatively short term they need more than just good products. Microsoft is huge and an established player, so that is in their favour. They are also learning to do hardware and who knows where Windows will be in 5 - 10 years time. Just because Apple is firing on all cylinders right now that is no guarantee for the future. Playing devils advocate I can see hundreds of ways Apple can screw up over time. MS has already done a lot of screwing up so maybe, just maybe, they are learning. I don't think it takes a bright person to see this, however. And Balmer always says shit for effect whoever he speaks.

so with Apple we should assume they'll screw up, and with MS we should assume they'll get it right. uh huh. got it.
  • Reply 84 of 230
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

I think that if Apple released a MacBook that had a detachable screen that basically became an iPad (even if it only lasted 3 hours) the tech press and consumers would love it. I know I would. Even if it looked like that when closed.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple do something similar and better in the next few years.

I certainly hope Apple does anyway. They could make a killer machine with their industrial design and come up with something similar to the Surface Book, only better.

Imagine a 13" MacBook Pro running OSX with a screen that detaches from the keyboard and then becomes an iPad Pro. That absolutely would sell like hotcakes in my opinion.

"Imagine a 13" MacBook Pro running OSX with a screen that detaches from the keyboard and then becomes an iPad Pro."

I agree except that I don't see this device, from Apple, using an Intel processor but a custom Apple A-series processor.

• Reply 85 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft is the only company poised to give Apple serious competition in terms of hardware, former Chief Executive Steve Ballmer commented on a Bloomberg TV show Friday morning.

"Nobody else has really tried to compete with them anymore really seriously in hardware...If there's going to be any competition at all for Apple it will come from Microsoft."

The thing is that he's actually correct.

I've been in IT as a Systems Engineer for almost 20 years and the only company coming close to heading to where Apple is is actually Microsoft.

Lenovo, HP, Acer, ASUS, Toshiba, no one is doing anything cool with computers but Microsoft is.

I'll stick to my Mac gear though. As nice as the Surface range is it's still running Windows.

• Reply 86 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

The thing is that he's actually correct.

I've been in IT as a Systems Engineer for almost 20 years and the only company coming close to heading to where Apple is is actually Microsoft.

Lenovo, HP, Acer, ASUS, Toshiba, no one is doing anything cool with computers but Microsoft is.

I'll stick to my Mac gear though. As nice as the Surface range is it's still running Windows.

"I'll stick to my Mac gear though. As nice as the Surface range is it's still running Windows."

With both Apple, and now MS, focusing on making their own great hardware, that's basically what it boils down to. Do you want an OSX / iOS machine or a Windows machine? And soon, Android will be in that mix.

• Reply 87 of 230
    Quote:

Quote:

"Imagine a 13" MacBook Pro running OSX with a screen that detaches from the keyboard and then becomes an iPad Pro."

I agree except that I don't see this device, from Apple, using an Intel processor but a custom Apple A-series processor.

Intel chip in the keyboard and then an A-series in the screen.

It could happen.

Why are you harshing my mellow man? ;) 

It's never going to happen is it?

• Reply 88 of 230
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

The solution for Apple is essentially to make an iPad Pro that is a passive display ONLY when docked to the MacBook. In other words, the touch screen is disabled, or limited function under OS X (if that's even possible or practical), and when docked, it becomes an unaltered iPad Pro. I'd love to buy that device, which is essentially the same as buying a MacBook and an iPad Pro, without the second screen on the MB.

So realistically the ONLY savings in manufacturing they could pass on to the consumer is the difference between both of those devices, less the MacBook display. Not sure you would hit your magic price point of $2K that way. 

Of course I can't help but think if Apple allowed their iPads to be used as passive screens paired with MacBooks, that I'd want to take advantage of the iPad as a second screen to span my desktop for more workspace when I'm on the road. So I would probably still buy a complete MacBook and an iPad. I suppose I could buy that and a hybrid as well and end up with two CPUs, so I would have the option, but why spend the extra money?

I could see a potential future where Apple sold the CPU half separately from the iPad, in two sizes, 13" & 15" which would see the corresponding debut of the iPad Pro XL. And then why not a third size with the 10" iPad Air? And offer different configurations of the CPU, say a MB Air ;$900 + iPad Pro 32GB @ $800 would likely get you there under $2,000. Certainly a 10" MacBook CPU with a $500 iPad Air 2 configuration would. 

• Reply 89 of 230
    Quote:

Intel chip in the keyboard and then an A-series in the screen.

It could happen.

Why are you harshing my mellow man? ;) 

It's never going to happen is it?

"It's never going to happen is it?"

If it does, I highly doubt it'll be using an Intel processor.

• Reply 90 of 230
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Of course I can't help but think if Apple allowed their iPads to be used as passive screens paired with MacBooks, that I'd want to take advantage of the iPad as a second screen to span my desktop for more workspace when I'm on the road. So I would probably still buy a complete MacBook and an iPad. I suppose I could buy that and a hybrid as well and end up with two CPUs, so I would have the option, but why spend the extra money?

There are apps that will allow this today.  The iPad is used as a second screen for your Mac.  A friend of mine showed me his setup for travel with a MacBook and iPad Air.  I also saw people doing this with iPads at WWDC with some sort of clip or stand to hold the iPad made to fit the MacBook / MacBook Air or whatever.

I've never done it so don't know the details on which app/s etc.

• Reply 91 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    techlover wrote: »

I think that if Apple released a MacBook that had a detachable screen that basically became an iPad (even if it only lasted 3 hours) the tech press and consumers would love it. I know I would. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Even if it looked like that when closed.</span>

How many times does Apple have to say they're not doing a convertible before people finally get it? You want a laptop that has Intel in the base and ARM in the display? Or everyone needs to rewrite x86 applications for ARM? And then compatibility with Windows is?? The Surface Book display, when detached, gets up to 4 hours battery life, some reviews got around 2 hours. Would you buy an iPad that only got 2-4 hours battery life?
  • Reply 92 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

The solution for Apple is essentially to make an iPad Pro that is a passive display ONLY when docked to the MacBook. In other words, the touch screen is disabled, or limited function under OS X (if that's even possible or practical), and when docked, it becomes an unaltered iPad Pro. I'd love to buy that device, which is essentially the same as buying a MacBook and an iPad Pro, without the second screen on the MB.

So realistically the ONLY savings in manufacturing they could pass on to the consumer is the difference between both of those devices, less the MacBook display. Not sure you would hit your magic price point of $2K that way. 

I could see a potential future where Apple sold the CPU half separately from the iPad, in two sizes, 12" & 15" which would see the corresponding debut of the iPad Pro XL. And then why not a third size with the iPad Air? 

I don't know. You might be right.

I'm not sure how much a 13 inch MacBook Pro screen and aluminum backing costs.

Entry level 32 gig iPad Pro is $800, and entry level 13 inch Macbook Pro is $1300. So $2100 if you buy both.

$2000 seems realistic for entry level for a combined device.

But there might be other costs that I am not considering.

Fun to think about though.

• Reply 93 of 230
    canukstorm wrote: »
    "It's never going to happen is it?"

If it does, I highly doubt it'll be using an Intel processor.

What software is it going to run then? Tim Cook said iPad Pro was Apple's vision for the future of computing. I see Apple making iOS more capable for iPad before I ever see them making OS X touch based. I think Apple is looking at all the people who don't currently use a laptop/desktop or younger people who never really have used one and wanting to make iPad all they'd ever need. Until they can make a truly no compromises device we'll never see a hybrid. And a tablet that gets 2-4 hours battery life is a compromise. There's obviously a reason Microsoft is selling both the Surface Pro and Surface Book. If there truly was a no compromises device they would only have to sell one.
  • Reply 94 of 230
    Quote:

How many times does Apple have to say they're not doing a convertible before people finally get it? You want a laptop that has Intel in the base and ARM in the display? Or everyone needs to rewrite x86 applications for ARM? And then compatibility with Windows is?? The Surface Book display, when detached, gets up to 4 hours battery life, some reviews got around 2 hours. Would you buy an iPad that only got 2-4 hours battery life?

It could be OSX (x86) when docked to the keyboard which would have an Intel processor. And then an iPad Pro when detached from the keyboard with an A-series processor.

No re-writing anything. Two different machines basically that snap together.

I would prefer to get 10 hours out of each, attached or detached. I think that is one area that Apple of all companies could nail it with the hardware.

"How many times does Apple have to say they're not doing a convertible before people finally get it?"

Not enough times:

http://www.wired.com/2010/02/steve-jobs/

Just because they say it's not going to happen doesn't mean it's not going to happen. :)

• Reply 95 of 230
    Check out this Twitter timeline from someone who got to spend time with the iPad Pro at a London preview event. High praise for the Pencil.
    https://twitter.com/fraserspeirs/with_replies

This is an interesting comment:

[QUOTE]@fraserspeirs What about text editing? Something like Google Docs or Pages? Is it awesome?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Yes, it is awesome. It’s the closest thing to a dual-monitor Mac I have experienced in iOS. #iPadpro[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 96 of 230
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Good point. Speaking of the 15" rMBP, here's a comparison of the $2,500 15" rMBP vs a $2,700 version of the SB.  Not hard to guess which one wins

https://fstoppers.com/gear/surface-book-vs-macbook-pro-15-macbook-twice-fast-93596?utm_content=buffer3ac7c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That's a 15" rMBP with an H-series processor, that would go up against something like the Dell XPS 15 (which is more powerful at a lower price).

The Surface Book would be compared to a 13" rMBP (both have U-series processors).

• Reply 97 of 230
    "On the prospect of an Apple Car, Ballmer said it's a "much bigger leap to do cars than it is most of the things they've tried."

Did he snort uncontrollably when saying this?
  • Reply 98 of 230
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Nope. Imagine the snickering if Apple released a laptop like this. Everyone in the tech press would be calling it fugly. I'd be real nervous about throwing this thing in a backpack with other stuff.

hera_hero_05-100622990-large.png

Why's that?

• Reply 99 of 230
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

From the guy that dismissed Apple and the iPhone in 2007.  Now that the tables are turned...

Interesting how Tim Cook is doing the same with 2 in 1 devices.  I'm looking forward to see what happens to see in the next few years. 

• Reply 100 of 230
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Oh god. I just read the article. And then watched the Ad. It's.... Really.... Unique.

Thanks for the laugh.

They are as bad as the latests Apple Watch ads.