Apple TV now available for preorder, first deliveries arrive Friday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    thrang wrote: »
    Yes, and in actuality, Dialog Semiconductor is preliminarily reporting an 18% YoY increase in revenue, so this is another spin of missing analysts uninformed expectations (and how one can accurately extrapolate this to Apple is even a further stretch...are they the only supplier for this part? Did the new iPhone require a less costly component the year vs last, which could impact revenue growth (if 18% was insufficient for the pundits)?

I can't think of another large, established company where Wall Street is as skittish as it is with Apple. One supplier that Apple may or may not be using in the new iPhones reports numbers that don't meet Wall Street expectation and the market panics.
  • Reply 82 of 173
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Most of the Internet is a first world problem...so that's immaterial

I think you missed the point. This is to first world problems what first world problems are to the the third world.

And I think you missed the other point, which is that this is just all in good fun.

• Reply 83 of 173
    xpad wrote: »

Yeah, it's really suspicious the way Apple is handling this, by not treating it like the iPhone and iPad, and instead like every other product they sell!

inb4doom, or, more likely, much ado about nothing. It's just a new product. No one has them yet to review (developers aren't allowed to).

As for the iPad Pro, Apple has been demoing them with third parties, and you can be certain it's in the hands of reviewers right now. Apple TV doesn't need that. It's not a hype product, it's just something that has graduated from hobby to normal.

And stocks? AAPL is not Apple. Reading into the lack of pre-order reviews is bad enough, but reading into the stock market is folly.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse. I'm NOT suggesting Apple stock is down today because there wasn't an Apple TV press release and there are no Apple TV reviews. But I still think it's odd. If Apple can put out a press release on enhanced versions of Harry Potter books on iBooks they can let everyone know that Apple TV is available for sale. Almost makes me wonder if this is a soft launch either because there are supply issues or not enough apps are ready yet.
  • Reply 84 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

These aren't reviews. They're first looks or hands on where you get a few minutes with the device after the keynote.

Ah. I see. I didn't think about the distinction between hands-on impressions and a proper full review, benchmark, etc. Yeah - now that you mention it, it is odd.

• Reply 85 of 173
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Couldn't disagree more vehemently.

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US

Certainly feels likes mostly first world orientation...
  • Reply 86 of 173

I ordered two of the new Apple keyboards for the office last week. The email I received said they would arrive in 5 - 7 days. Actually, the package with the keyboards showed two days later.

With any luck, maybe this will sooner than expected, too. 

• Reply 87 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US

Certainly feels likes mostly first world orientation...

nearly half of the world's population has internet access.

• Reply 88 of 173
    xpad wrote: »

I think you missed the point. This is to first world problems what first world problems are to the the third world.

And I think you missed the other point, which is that this is just all in good fun.

No...no offense at all, but I think I'm tiring of the widespread utterance of "first-world" as commentary, even in ironic use...

I worked for three years for an AV installer, and you're be surprised how many systems are installed with equipment not in-room (often for physical space, heat, or WAF). So Bluetooth-only for certain functions will not work well or at all in some instances, thus my original post was simply hoping that was not the case.
  • Reply 89 of 173

Do we know yet when the new Apple TV will be available in stores?

• Reply 90 of 173
    alandail wrote: »
    nearly half of the world's population has internet access.

That's fine, but the sites being accessed are "first world" by and large, so usage and access from what regions and demographics would be more telling.

I mean, the list is filled with commercial sites, online selling sites, social sites, pseudo-journalism sites (slanted in both directions), entertainment sites...

I'm guessing third world interests and needs fall largely outside most of these. Or put another way, except for search sites, most of the sites in the Top 500 could shut down tomorrow and likely have no material impact on third world concerns.

I'm not self-flagellating here; I'm on the net everyday, and to use a very tired phrase, it is what it is. But is seems self evident that the bulk of the Internet is used for decidedly first world dalliances, such as this site!
  • Reply 91 of 173
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Do we know yet when the new Apple TV will be available in stores?

Betcha there will be a large stock available "in time for the holidays."

On a related note, iMore had an interesting article: only one ATV controller can pair at a time. So don't buy a second ATV/Siri remote if you are thinking you want to play multiplayer games. 

• Reply 92 of 173
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    sog35 wrote: »
    regardless its still illegal.

You broke incryption which is illegal.  Making a backup isn't.  But breaking incryption to do so is.

Its like breaking into a bank vault to take a nap.
    Its not illegal to take a nap. But its illegal to break into a bank vault.

Is that the case in Australia? In any case the ATV will never play disk images officially. Also, the 269 AUD price was mentioned initially. Does that include sales tax and any kind of VAT like tax? Unfortunately, the Australian dollar has been on a roller coaster ride this year. This has been the case for many resource based economies. International sales use the US $ as a base. This is going to become increasingly problematic for companies such as Apple whose sales are mainly non US based but who use the US $ as their base currency.
    The strategy of designing in the US and then using countries with low assembly cost to complete products will eventually come back to haunt them if they continue to not take local currencies into account. It just isn't sustainable in the longer term.
  • Reply 93 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Most exciting product of the year! Got my order if for a 64 GB.

Somehow I think 32 would be more than enough, I don't envision adding many large apps at all. But we'll see.

I'm pretty excited too. I ordered the 64 GB as well. I was contemplating getting the 32 GB, but it's never a bad choice to go for the extra hard drive space. 

• Reply 94 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Isn't it a little odd that orders went live and we haven't seen any reviews yet? Usually reviews come out a few days before.

Reviews are queued up, waiting for the moratorium to end at midnight. At that point the interwebs will be awash in Apple TV reviews along with the first wave of apps.

And forum comments everywhere will be filled with, "Does everything always have to be about Apple?" complaints...
  • Reply 95 of 173
    BTW, I'm holding off until I can figure out if that extra 32 GB is going to be useful IRL.
  • Reply 96 of 173
    john.b wrote: »
    Reviews are queued up, waiting for the moratorium to end at midnight. At that point the interwebs will be awash in Apple TV reviews along with the first wave of apps.

And forum comments everywhere will be filled with, "Does everything always have to be about Apple?" complaints...

Well if reviews are ready to go than it makes zero sense that Apple started orders before any reviews dropped. How often does Apple start taking orders for a new product on a Monday morning?
  • Reply 97 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

When sog35 has his wealth negatively affected, he tends to freak out a bit, and all threads become all about his portfolio, why Apple should go private, why Wall Street is a bunch of thieves, blah blah.

I don't mind that sog wears his heart on his sleeve but yes, when investing, it's best to moderate temperament and emotion.

And he and others don't realize this "stock market shenanigans" has happened many times in the past, and often with Steve Jobs as CEO.

This is but an ugly snapshot of AAPL share price. If history repeats, price will shoot above reason then dive below...again and again.

So if he sells, will he ever buy back again?...and then when to buy back? That is the bigger question.

Tim is giving the market the middle finger as Steve did.

Time will tell.

• Reply 98 of 173
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well if reviews are ready to go than it makes zero sense that Apple started orders before any reviews dropped. How often does Apple start taking orders for a new product on a Monday morning?

Apples not allowed to start orders on a Monday?

No reviews are allowed after orders take place?
  • Reply 99 of 173

This way the product goes live at the same time the reviews -- and new apps -- create buzz. My guess is that it'll be something of a typical Apple Internet feeding frenzy for about two days. We'll know if I'm right in about 10 hours...
  • Reply 100 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Betcha there will be a large stock available "in time for the holidays."

Absolutely. I think this will be one of those "must buy" items for Christmas, especially for the kids - paired with a good controller (the Steelseries Nimbus looks very interesting) looks a great combination I imagine lots of people will be choosing. Just hope there are plenty of apps (especially games of course) that can be enjoyed on it.