White House says FBI wants access to one iPhone, not blanket backdoor from Apple

Comments

• Reply 40 of 176
    My comment is I just think the govt. will be criticized either way. If they didn't exhaust all efforts to get to bottom of the San Bernadino thing (Iphone), They'll be criticized. And if they do exhaust all efforts (hack a phone), people will complain that their civil liberties are being violated. Damned if you do Damned if you dont. Why don't they just hire GEOHOT the hack the iphone,
    muppetry
  • Reply 42 of 176
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    If it's one phone they're interested in then they shouldn't have prodded that judge to demand a software set to be created and given over to the FBI: just bring the phone under FBI supervision to Apple and let the techs try and get it open there. Then if they do get it open the FBI can watch the brute force attack right there. Nothing leaves Apple that could be used on other phones (the requested replacement OS means the phone can't leave Apple once it's installed). The information, if any, the FBI gets.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 43 of 176
    Tim Cook claims deep respect for the American people but apparently not enough to help in the fight against terrorism. He is a true business man seeking to grow his company. Apple is foolishly making us believe it doesnt already house the decryption software-are we that naive? Apple is leveraging the situation throwing the feedom card to pomp up its sales. Apple needs to sort out its priorities and help with a solution rather than walk away. Tim please remove the dollar signs from your eyes and count the lives lost at the hands of terrorists using your products. I am not a Trump supporter but at least he displays some allegiance to his country.
  • Reply 44 of 176
    hammerd2 said:
    Has anybody bothered asking the FBI exactly what they're hoping to find, and what proof there is that any such information will actually be, on the phone. I think you Americans call it probable cause or something although I may have watched one too many police programmes for my own good.
    The "probable cause" has been met: the phone was in the physical possession of a murderer. As to what they're really hoping to find? Co-conspirator identities perhaps. BUT the murderers crushed their own private phones and discarded their hard drive so effectively the FBI can't find it so that this phone was simply left behind is a big signal it was used for work and nothing else. So it's going to be useless. But a nice juicy way for the FBI to get it's hands on a hacking software kit if the judge's rule is affirmed in the appeals courts.
  • Reply 45 of 176

techno said:
    josha said:
    Didn't Apple say it was impossible to break into the latest iPhones and iOS ?

But if it has the touch entry, hasn't the FBI tried the touch of that dead terrorist's fingers.

I recall when a well know top end car had a touch function to start it,
     thieves who took over a few of those cars from the owners,
      cut off a few fingers so they could leave the owner at the roadside.

I bet the FBI didn't even think of using the finger. I bet they are still using flip phones.

It's a 5c: a6 processor, no Touch ID, no secure enclave, no 64 bit. This isn't a latest phone, it's series 5 tech and that's a very long time ago...
  • Reply 46 of 176
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Idea.  Give the phone to Apple, Apple gets the data off the phone, Apple gives the data to the FBI.  

Problem solved.
    That's not an option. Someone at Apple could alter the data, and by law no one at Apple is legally allowed to look at that data. 
  • Reply 47 of 176
    If Apple is forced to do this, this would be a big loss to everyone's personal security! Here is why: - With secure encryption, no one can tamper or change personal data except the owner. This personal data could be your email, photos, location, purchase history, etc. Encrypted, this data is secure from other people's view, and from other people trying to change it. - Once the encryption is hacked, anyone could not only look at your data, but also change it! Why would someone want to change data? And who do you trust to not change your data? Well, it should would be nice if someone wanted to frame you for something, if they could insert false location data, false photos, etc into your personal data. They could place you at the scene of a crime without you knowing it, and then show a court your personal "secure" data as proof you were there! Do you trust the US government not to change your personal data? I sure don't! Remember, this is the same government that "found" WMD in Iraq, and then proceeded to destroy a country! For all we know there are only personal photos and phone numbers on this guy's phone. Do we really want to risk the loss of everyone's security just for the sake of possibly finding out more about this one guy? And for those who say "I have nothing to hide", well that is great. But do you really want to risk having someone insert false data into your personal data and then you trying to claim it is false? You might want to consider how to defend yourself against these possible cases: - How do you prove you did NOT send a particular email, if it right there in your out box! - How do you prove you did not make phone calls to a terrorist number, if it logged right there on your phone! - How do you prove you did not make purchases for weapon if there are records of these purchases in your personal data? - Where were you on Sunday? Oh, your phone shows you were at a location where known terrorist congregate. - Your spouse wants to divorce you, and has proof on your phone that you were at bars and hotels! Whatever you get the point. The point is not that you have nothing to hide! Most American's probably don't. The point is once your personal security is compromised, anyone can do anything to anyone, and you have no way to defend yourself in such a world!
    Blasterjony0
  • Reply 48 of 176
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Where are all of these first time posters coming from? Has this article been linked to someplace else?

I doubt that they found their way here, all by themselves.
  • Reply 49 of 176
    If Apple did the encryption properly, there is no key other than the owner of the phone. What we have here is in effect a box that will explode (destroy itself) if you try to open it too many times without the correct key. So now the FBI is demanding that Apple create something it does not have, and which hopefully should not be possible to create, if they did the encryption properly. What is Apple to do? So its not about Apple complying with a court order. Its about asking Apple to do something which should not be possible. The net result is if Apple does provide them with some back door, this will mean either that Apple is not competent to create a secure box, or they have been lying to their millions of customers for this. I would love to see Apple crash and burn over this, but I really hope they did their job properly or did not lie to their customers on this point. We'll see what happens next.
    Blaster
  • Reply 50 of 176
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

They are going to spend all this effort on one phone.

I like the fact the government has convinced themselves because they could not find any treasure troves of information about these two elsewhere it must all be on the cell phone of the women. Yeah, if these two were smart enough to not leave any bread crumbs around to understand what they were doing and when why are they so convince the cell phone is the Holy Grail of information.

It is all smoke and mirrors, they are hoping no one notices they have nothing of any substance about these two and they are going to make an example of this to allow them access to what they otherwise can not get.

Keep in mind the FBI was asking the public to help fill in the 18 minutes of time they were unable to located this two. Again they some how thing this 18 minutes will answer all the un-answer questions.

Dont' Search Me Bro!
  • Reply 51 of 176
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ said:
    Where are all of these first time posters coming from? Has this article been linked to someplace else?

I doubt that they found their way here, all by themselves.
    Ever since the new forum software was released has there been an influx of new posters like never before. 
  • Reply 52 of 176

Have they asked the NSA? After all they probably know every phone call, text and email sent. HEck they probably know the number of times he's played Angry Birds

• Reply 53 of 176
    maestro64 said:

They are going to spend all this effort on one phone.

I like the fact the government has convinced themselves because they could not find any treasure troves of information about these two elsewhere it must all be on the cell phone of the women. Yeah, if these two were smart enough to not leave any bread crumbs around to understand what they were doing and when why are they so convince the cell phone is the Holy Grail of information.

It is all smoke and mirrors, they are hoping no one notices they have nothing of any substance about these two and they are going to make an example of this to allow them access to what they otherwise can not get.

Keep in mind the FBI was asking the public to help fill in the 18 minutes of time they were unable to located this two. Again they some how thing this 18 minutes will answer all the un-answer questions.

it would be kind of funny if they were able to hack the phone and all they get out of it are pictures of naked girls!
  • Reply 54 of 176
    Yea, I am not an Apple customer now, nor have I ever been, Yet I support Tim Cook's reasonable view that this request from the FBI is wrong. And it is wrong on multiple levels. For one thing, the crime is done and the suspects are dead. There is no other possible good reason to keep digging into every possible rabbit hole of data except to procure information on people for which the original warrant does not authorize. The government may not use such data in a future prosecution if it is discovered to be obtained illegally, but who would question their willingness to use it to harass innocent persons? Secondly, the government already has a plethora of mechanisms to track suspects via credit cards and debit cards. A good recent example is that of Ethan Couch, the 'affluenza' teen convicted of drunk driving- multiple manslaughter charges who fled to Mexico and got caught on the lam buying pizza. This was a kid on juvenile probation, for gawd's sake, but the US government harnessed all its espionage capabilities to track him down internationally. Third: We live in an ever-expanding police state that has more incarcerated per capita than any other country, including China and Russia. If you don't know why this is important you need to stick your head back in the sand.
    ibilljony0
  • Reply 55 of 176
    ireland said:
    Well the US Government has never lied before.
  • Reply 56 of 176
    Are you ready for Hilary?

For a good time, vote for Ted Trump 16
  • Reply 57 of 176
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,349member
    jdgaz said:
    Lets take a look inside Mr Obama's phone, oh, and Ms Clinton's, and the Donald's, and and and. I bet they are all in jail afterward.
    Journalists should start asking any Politician who endorse this for their phone. 
    Blaster
  • Reply 58 of 176
    As usual, Obama thinks the rest of us are stupid. Of course opening one iPhone opens the floodgates!

The courts have no right to force any individual or company to allocate resources to fit their needs or society's needs without their consent. I know a lot of people disagree with this, but that is simply the way it is. These are bully tactics and Big Brother in action. Just leave us alone for once.
  • Reply 59 of 176
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,917member
    I thought Apple helps unlock your iphone if you provide receipt you bought it legitimately. In this case, that iphone belongs to terrorists owner.
  • Reply 60 of 176
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,917member
    Fear is once Apple allow such act, FBI feels with this now found a key to open floodgate.