White House says FBI wants access to one iPhone, not blanket backdoor from Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 176
    apple ][ said:
    Where are all of these first time posters coming from? Has this article been linked to someplace else?

I doubt that they found their way here, all by themselves.
    They won't be back. Their job is to repeat the same appeal-to-fear-so-lets-give-the-FBI-what-they-want arguments. For all we know it's the same person working for the same government agency. If by chance some are real people, I wish they would engage in a real discussion instead of doing a drive-by and leave.
    jony0rob53dasanman69
  • Reply 122 of 176
    dorg said:
    Apple does not support USA, it sends all profits to Ireland, why would they be interested in National Security of Americans ? Let apple go to Ireland or China. As far as i am concerned they are not Patriotic and I am boycotting all Apple products!
    Good. You do that, patriot. You buy your phone from someone who doesn't manufacture in China, and keeps all their profit in the USA. You get bonus patriotism points if it runs an easily hackable OS that the FBI would have no trouble cracking.
    h2prob53theunfetteredmind
  • Reply 123 of 176
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    apple ][ said:
    Where are all of these first time posters coming from? Has this article been linked to someplace else?

I doubt that they found their way here, all by themselves.
    They won't be back. Their job is to repeat the same appeal-to-fear-so-lets-give-the-FBI-what-they-want arguments. For all we know it's the same person working for the same government agency. If by chance some are real people, I wish they would engage in a real discussion instead of doing a drive-by and leave.
    I hope they won't be back as they have clearly demonstrated that they can barely write, let alone engage in a real discussion. It's quite possible they came from the same government agency or maybe agencies, as the Chinese must be salivating at this double-whammy : an iPhone backdoor as yet another tool to spy on their citizens and a great business opportunity for their own phone manufacturers. Judging by their poor command of english they could also have been sent here by their paymaster Samsung just to … well just to be shit heads I guess or maybe gloating at the prospect that iPhones could soon be as insecure by government mandated design as Sammy's own devices have been by sheer incompetence.
    h2p
  • Reply 124 of 176
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    foggyhill said:
    How is it different? If they have to put in the software to enable this in the future, it's the same thing.
    Both the GOP and Dems are talking crap on this subject : they are of the same demagogic voice.

Also, they don't realize that if they allow this, this will essentially kill most Apple sales world wide...

There is some huge hellish mound of myopia from all politicians in the US.
    LOL!  I don't agree with Apple doing anything to reduce the privacy or security of even 1 iPhone - but your statement that "this will essentially kill most Apple sales world wide" seems pretty ridiculous.  All this would do would reduce the security of an iPhone to the same level as all other phones.  It sounds like you're saying that the ONLY reason people buy iPhones is because they have better security than Android phones - but in fact, security is just one of many things that make iOS the better choice.

This would definitely not have a significant impact on iPhone sales.
  • Reply 125 of 176
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The White House lies again. No surprise.
  • Reply 126 of 176
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

White House says FBI wants access to one iPhone, not blanket backdoor from Apple

Well...That's always how it starts. One phone. One case. Then another. And another. Apple said yes to those, now it can't draw the line anywhere and say no if the requests become more spurious, which will happen as law enforcement becomes used to their new iPhone unlocking powers. Other governments will want their access requests filled under the laws of their countries, and this can be used against dissidents or critics of authoritarian regimes (like China). Where do you draw the line, once this train gets moving?

The answer is: here and now. You take a stand here and now, on this case and this phone.
    That's inane. They still need court orders. They can bust doors open, but they don't go around busting down doors on a whim. 
  • Reply 127 of 176
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    This sounds like: you make me a master key for every lock out there, but I only use it on one lock in this case...Do you believe in this bullshit? China, Russia and other countries will follow. Thank you, Apple for protecting our privacy.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 128 of 176
    The Constitution is inconvenient for a reason!
     I am not a lawyer but I think Apple is within its rights to appeal this order. I do not particularly like Apple and I hate the terrorists but the responsibility for managing the access to this particular iPhone belongs to the government. I will explain why:
     The phone belongs to a government agency.
     The government agency was supposed to implement MDM (mobile device management) on all the mobile devices handed out to the employees.
     All the mobile devices (phones, laptops...) that are registered under the MDM have to be audited at least every year The IT department of the government agency will have a separate dedicated Apple ID capable to unlock the phone when presented with the proper judge order.
     The fact that the government agency does not follow the law either by incompetence or disregard (like in we are the government, the laws do not apply to us) does not have to create a liability on everybody else right to privacy
    Trump reaction show what a moron he can be!
     quote: "To think that Apple won't allow us to get into her cellphone — who do they think they are?" Trump told Fox News. "No, we have to open it up."
     The court order refers to a phone owned by a government agency that handed out iPhones without following the proper security rules. Mobile device management has been available for quite some time. Did the government agency read the memo?
    A legal precedent can be established if Apple will comply in removing the brute force protection.
     Any back door can and will be exploited outside this single case either by hackers or governments (note the plural)
  • Reply 129 of 176
    The White House has taken issue with Apple's suggestion that creating a backdoor to iOS would threaten the security of all its customers, instead arguing that the issue applies to just one iPhone in question.

Guess the almighty NSA is not that almighty after all
  • Reply 130 of 176

What part of "if we make the OS vulnerable for one phone, we make it vulnerable for EVERY phone" does Obama not understand? How many times does Tim have to explain the fact that once a phone is locked, it's either unlocked by the user or wiped by Apple or someone failing to enter the correct passcode multiple times? 
    According to the "customer letter" which Apple posted, they seem to think they (Apple) could create a new version of iOS, with security disabled, and load it onto a phone, if they had the phone in their possession.
    If that's possible, would it be possible for others.
    If that's possible, could it be done remotely?
    If that's only possible for Apple, wouldn't they be required by the Patriot Act to secretly give the insecure version to the Government? And, in fact, to every government where they want to sell or manufacture Apple products?
  • Reply 131 of 176
    What part of "if we make the OS vulnerable for one phone, we make it vulnerable for EVERY phone" does Obama not understand? How many times does Tim have to explain the fact that once a phone is locked, it's either unlocked by the user or wiped by Apple or someone failing to enter the correct passcode multiple times? 
    Our elected community organizer doesn't understand much. 
  • Reply 131 of 176
    Our elected community organizer doesn't understand much. 
  • Reply 133 of 176
    enufenuf Posts: 19member
    He has to
    Tim Cook has failed to explain why his claims should be taken seriously. How does this hack escape into the rest of the world if it is contained within an Apple lab? If the phone is wiped by Apple before leaving their lab?

How is it that Apple is so pathetically ignorant of physical security of highly isolated, non-networked data while being so paranoid over global digital security?

• Reply 134 of 176

That's true.
    The FBI and the Federal Government only want access to one iPhone AT A TIME!

Not to worry. 
    What could go wrong?

Remember: Vote Democrat; Early and Often
    For more lunacy like this.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 135 of 176
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Obama is a mongrel idiot.

Out.
  • Reply 136 of 176
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    dorg said:
    Apple does not support USA, it sends all profits to Ireland, why would they be interested in National Security of Americans ? Let apple go to Ireland or China. As far as i am concerned they are not Patriotic and I am boycotting all Apple products!
    Good. You do that, patriot. You buy your phone from someone who doesn't manufacture in China, and keeps all their profit in the USA. You get bonus patriotism points if it runs an easily hackable OS that the FBI would have no trouble cracking.
    Would it be too much trouble to ask you to boycott this message board?
  • Reply 137 of 176
    apple ][ said:
    If I'm not mistaken, the White House is Obama, so I'm waiting to read all of the Obama bashing soon that will be in this thread.
    You asked for it, you got it.

Attention, Democrats! YOUR president has a worse record than even George W. Bush with regard to the protection of our constitutional guarantees. He is openly hostile to the foundational principles of this country and has openly violated his sworn oath.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 138 of 176
    Apple needs to crack this phone to help the FBI fight terrorism.  It's common sense.
    This site is suddenly crawling with pro-FBI trolls. I'm sensing a paid army of trolls is at work here.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 139 of 176
    ...China has backdoors in all of their products and probably half of our products made there.
    Dragon Day was not a documentary. Actually, I only ever saw a trailer for it. Whatever became of that? Never heard of it later.
  • Reply 140 of 176
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Rbaumdr said:
    So this is how Liberty dies.  Perhaps not with thunderous applause, but with providing the government with the keys to every home in the nation!
    Unfortunately yes.  Especially when special interests, politics, money, and hysteria is involved. Two hundred plus years of freedom built on the sacrificial lives of millions of patriots is thrown out the window for contemporary paranoia and government laziness. Interesting to see the same presidential candidates refusing to consider even the most trivial of purchase controls on gunpowder fueled devices that have been used on many occasions to slaughter innocent children and civilians while at the same time trivializing the loss of personal freedom from spying by government agencies on its own citizens. Pure laziness, greed, and elitism by the political powers to enforce their personal will on those whom they view as their "subjects." Sad.
    jony0