White House says FBI wants access to one iPhone, not blanket backdoor from Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    enuf said:
    If Apple loses this fight, what's going to stop countries like China, Russia, etc from forcing Apple to do the same thing since the U.S. government did it. 
    What does or does not happen in American courts is meaningless to the Chinese and Russians. China already has a law to force tech companies to provide backdoors to connected devices. They are just beginning to enforce it. Neither the communists nor Russia's strong man government need wait upon America's FBI to give them ideas on this.

Apple should move to comply with the FBI immediately by making a counter-proposal. Either Apple maintains physical security of the hack effort on their own premises, giving nothing back to the FBI but the resulting data, or the fight climbs to the Supreme Court.

I would also appreciate hearing Apple demonstrate that they understand the nature of warfare has changed, or at least expanded. This is a war and they are not displaying the sort of comprehension they should have of what is reasonable to expected of good citizens.

China doesn't have any law that forces tech companies to provide back doors to devices. China initially wanted to have back doors in the law, but they took that out. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-security-idUSKBN0UA07220151228

Huh? What's reasonable is the government not forcing companies to provide back doors that compromises the security of millions of law abiding citizens. 
    edited February 2016 jony0
  • Reply 102 of 176
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    hammerd2 said:
    Has anybody bothered asking the FBI exactly what they're hoping to find, and what proof there is that any such information will actually be, on the phone. I think you Americans call it probable cause or something although I may have watched one too many police programmes for my own good.
    As I said in the other thread, I think this is just a fishing expedition by the FBI to get public support/court order for a back door. I'm sure they already have the terrorists iCloud data along with their e-mails, texts, computer hard drives, etc. I'm sure there is nothing on this iPhone that the FBI doesn't already know. Since the crime already happened, the FBI just needed to have a federal/local judge sign off on a search warrant to seize property (iPhone) for the investigation. It doesn't matter if there is something of value or not on the phone.
    After a murder, any murder at all, not just a terrorist attack, it is common practice at crimes scenes to leave no stone unturned.  It doesn't matter whether you think you've already milked the information dry of all possible good leads, you still turn over all stones.  That's what the FBI is doing, and they are right to try to do it.  The only problem is they are NOT right to force Apple to build a tool to help them... especially a tool which could be misused later.
    jony0
  • Reply 103 of 176
    enuf said:

Tim Cook deserves to be arrested, charged with Contempt of Court and jailed until he complies. If not for his failure to comply then for his failure to find a workable solution.

The FBI has stated repeatedly they are only asking for this one phone so as to determine what, if any, vital evidence there may be about other persons involved in this horrific attack. So, why does Apple fail to hold the FBI to that limitation? Apple should demand that Apple itself maintain physical security of the phone. Do all the work on Apple's premises, by Apple's employees. No network connectivity, in a space isolated from a Wi-Fi and Cell signals. Upon completion the FBI gets the data and Apple wipes the phone and it's own hack if they so desire.

At that point there is no more threat of Apple's internal hack reaching the outside world then there is of Apple's operating system source code or the formula for Coca-Cola or Kentucky Fried Chicken's secret recipe. If Apple cannot maintain physical security of information not connected to any outside system, not live on any powered system, then they are hardly worthwhile in any case.

Apple should move to comply immediately. With all the safeguards they can think to apply.

Short of that, jail time for the corporate officers and engineers who refuse is the only reasonable response.

Like anybody under such a court order, Apple has five days to file an appeal to have the order rescinded.  This signals that they will do that.

So either you were ignorant to that fact or you so hate Apple that you want them punished instantly whereas other companies and/or individuals would get their opportunity to fight the order.
    edited February 2016 jony0
  • Reply 104 of 176
    thompr said:
    Idea.  Give the phone to Apple, Apple gets the data off the phone, Apple gives the data to the FBI.  

Problem solved.
    Then the current 200+ pending requests all get the same treatment by their judges.  Then such cases accelerate after that.

New problem.
    Good. Apple should have foreseen this eventuality. It is not as if it hadn't been talked of by endless security experts, industry insiders, law enforcement agencies, politicians and news media bloviators for the last several years especially.

Had Apple shown the ability to plan ahead they would have had time to devise a plan that would protect everyone while making it possible to deprive cold blooded butchers of innocent people the means to hide their information.

Apple has only itself to blame for this mess.
  • Reply 105 of 176
    Who's to say once created the software wouldn't be copied by the FBI, CIA and every other government agency in the world. I mean who would think of coping it or corrupting someone to copy it for them. Thus every phone would be at risk
  • Reply 106 of 176
    enuf said:
    thompr said:
    Then the current 200+ pending requests all get the same treatment by their judges.  Then such cases accelerate after that.

New problem.
    Good. Apple should have foreseen this eventuality. It is not as if it hadn't been talked of by endless security experts, industry insiders, law enforcement agencies, politicians and news media bloviators for the last several years especially.

Had Apple shown the ability to plan ahead they would have had time to devise a plan that would protect everyone while making it possible to deprive cold blooded butchers of innocent people the means to hide their information.

Apple has only itself to blame for this mess.
    It seems to me that Apple did foresee this and that they are planting their flag in the sand to fight against every bit of it.  Whether that is a "mess" only depends on which side of the issue you fall and which side of the issue wins in court.
    jony0theunfetteredmind
  • Reply 107 of 176

White House says FBI wants access to one iPhone, not blanket backdoor from Apple

Well...That's always how it starts. One phone. One case. Then another. And another. Apple said yes to those, now it can't draw the line anywhere and say no if the requests become more spurious, which will happen as law enforcement becomes used to their new iPhone unlocking powers. Other governments will want their access requests filled under the laws of their countries, and this can be used against dissidents or critics of authoritarian regimes (like China). Where do you draw the line, once this train gets moving?

The answer is: here and now. You take a stand here and now, on this case and this phone.
  • Reply 108 of 176
    The White House has taken issue with Apple's suggestion that creating a backdoor to iOS would threaten the security of all its customers, instead arguing that the issue applies to just one iPhone in question.

In a press briefing on Wednesday, spokesman Josh Earnest said the government does not want Apple to "create a new backdoor to its products," according to Reuters. Instead, he suggested the issue is related to just one case: The December terrorist shooting in San Bernardino, Calif., that resulted in 16 deaths and 24 injuries.
    The White House believes this is about one case, but Apple believes creating a backdoor could set a dangerous precedent.
    "(President Barack Obama) certainly believes that this is an important national priority," Earnest told reporters at the White House.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook himself predicted this argument in his open letter to the public on Wednesday, saying that the government "may argue that its use would be limited to this case." But in Cook's view, "there is no way to guarantee such control."

From Apple's perspective, creating a tool to access a single iPhone could open the flood gates for future issues rippling well beyond the investigation into the San Bernardino shooting.

"In the wrong hands, this software -- which does not exist today --?would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone's physical possession," Cook said.

The controversy began Tuesday, when a U.S. magistrate judge ordered Apple to comply with FBI requests to help extract data from an iPhone owned by one of the shooters involved in the terrorist attack. The device in question is an iPhone 5c that was password protected by the gunman, and is set to erase a stored decryption key after ten unsuccessful login attempts.
    Honest we only had sex once!
    matrix077
  • Reply 109 of 176
    Honest we only had sex once!  
    With a less than 16% approval who would trust this Government with a candy bar much less a back door to an iPhone?

• Reply 110 of 176
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This case seems like US government is seeking the work from Apple.  If Apple cooperate eventually I think the government will need to pay Apple for the costs.  This is unlike the government seeking a civilian help to solve a crime.  The killers are already killed.  The government is simply using imagination on the suspect's phone.  
  • Reply 111 of 176
    Apple does not support USA, it sends all profits to Ireland, why would they be interested in National Security of Americans ? Let apple go to Ireland or China. As far as i am concerned they are not Patriotic and I am boycotting all Apple products!
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 112 of 176
    volcan said:
    enuf said:

The FBI has stated repeatedly they are only asking for this one phone so as to determine what, if any, vital evidence there may be about other persons involved in this horrific attack. 

Because it won't just be one phone. Once a precedent has been established, every Podunk Sheriff from Hazard county will try to force Apple to unlock Duke's iPhone because of a parking ticket.
    We have a legal system in this country. Courts and judges make decisions based upon law and precedent. The likelihood of such a court order being issued over a trivial and non-criminal charge is extremely low. The constant need for such in the face of serious crimes is, on the other hand, very real.

Which is why Apple's failure (and other companies) predates this one incident by years. They had endless warnings of what was coming and they made the fully informed choice to make a mess of it.

• Reply 113 of 176
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    A backdoor for one is a backdoor for All. 
  • Reply 114 of 176
    Yeah.. and China would tell Apple to hack one specific phone also. And then UK. Then France. Then Turkey. Then Russia... etc.

..then of course, the US for another terrorist phone.. ad infinitum.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 115 of 176
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    jungmark said:
    A backdoor for one is a backdoor for All. 
    A once only phone hack is like an alcoholic only having one little drink from a full bottle.
  • Reply 116 of 176
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    As I said in an earlier post - Apple should start talking about moving their entire OS development overseas so that they can then honestly not comply with orders like this as they would then no longer have the technical capability.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 117 of 176
    I have a feeling this will end up at the Supreme Court and congress will be forced to act. With regards to this specific case is the FBI asking Apple to develop special software that they (FBI) would be in possession of? That part seems unclear to me. And the FBI/White House says that's NOT what they're asking for.

How would the FBI get access to this special software if Apple was given the phone and everything was done at Apple HQ? Heck the phone could be destroyed once the process was complete. It seems to me there is a bit of grandstanding on Apple's part and throwing out the word backdoor isn't helpful when this is a specific and very narrow request. As far as potential abuse of this process well that is a whole other discussion and I am assuming Apple would have the right to appeal any order they received?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 118 of 176
    So this is how Liberty dies.  Perhaps not with thunderous applause, but with providing the government with the keys to every home in the nation!
    mattinozjony0
  • Reply 119 of 176
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member
    buzdots said:

The uhh, White House believes this uhh, is, uhh about one case, but Apple believes, uhh, creating a backdoor, uhh, could set a dangerous uhh, precedent.
    "The President certainly, uhh, believes, uhh, that this, uhh, is an important national priority - OK?" 

There, that's what he really said.

Josh Earnest is a verbal delinquent.
    Thanks, hadn't heard the WH statement. Josh Earnest -1
  • Reply 120 of 176
    Apple needs to crack this phone to help the FBI fight terrorism.  It's common sense.
    jony0