Google Pixel revealed by resellers, shows remarkable similarity to iPhone design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,238member
    On a slightly related note there may be a really good opportunity to make a nice profit on Alphabet stock in the near-term. Based on what I'm reading a $100+ pop tomorrow wouldn't be out-of-the-question according to those who are supposed to know (but often don't). There's a LOT of hardware being revealed tomorrow.  
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 22 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hot damn. Watch the pundits praise the design and fawn over its headphone jack. 
    caliai46gilly017watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 23 of 84
    jungmark said:
    Hot damn. Watch the pundits praise the design and fawn over its headphone jack. 
    Based on pre-release renderings the design is not being fawned over. Far from it. Perhaps software and features will rescue the phones. 
    edited October 2016 big
  • Reply 24 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Cornholieo, that agreement specifically does not allow HTC to copy/rip-off the iPhone's look: "it's specified that Apple's design patents and trade dress are still off limits to HTC" http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/6/3734732/apple-htc-settlement-agreement-revealed-redacted
    Then why did HTC immediately copy the look of the iPhone without repercussion? 
    cali
  • Reply 25 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    sog35 said:
    This phone makes ZERO sense.

Why have the home button on the back of the screen (such a horrible place for a fingerprint scanner) and yet it still has a HUGE bezel?

..............................this gives me an idea about iPhone8

Apple can separate the fingerprint scanner with the home button.

The fingerprint scanner will be a virtual button. It will only appear when you need to unlock the phone or touch ID verification.

The 'home button' will be on the back of the screen. It will be much bigger than the old button. It will function just like it does on the iPhone7. It might even act as a touch pad with cursor support. I'm thinking a 2x2 square would be ideal.

This setup will allow Apple to decrease the size of the top/bottom bezel but still preserve a physical home button.

Where can they place that Home button, bottom font bezel? Lol...do that and call it gPhone...indistinguishable with iPhone. Done.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 84
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Fortunately Apple is adding more and more things to iPhone that the Alibabas cannot steal.  The A10 fusion processor, the lightening port, the lightening headphone, the Apple Watch.
    calibigwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 27 of 84
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Uhh no. There are more OLEDs on phones in circulation than iPhones. Apple makes their money using old technology which can be purchased for cheap, then optimizing their software to run on these cheap machines that sell at a premium. HTC and Apple signed an agreement, which allows for the companies to copy each other, which is why so may iPhones have been adopting HTCs look. I just hope the new phone comes with HTCs DAC, which offers the best sound quality of any phone on the market. While iOS is more efficient on cheaper machines, I still gravitate to Android for its Customizability, versatility, and flexibility. I also don't like the idea of being trapped in an ecosystem, people should be allowed to chose default apps, and not have them chosen for them. I do hope that Apple learns that people are different, think different, and not just a bunch of lemmings.
    Hmm, mind sharing your source of this? HTC and Apple signed an agreement? Please... we will wait here.
    caliai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 84
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

wood1208 said:
    We all know HTC has some agreement with Apple for cross licensing tech. Obviously, HTC will copy Apple's iPhone to please Google funding HTC ship to stay float building Pixel phones which somehow Google thinks can compete with iPhone which ain't going to happen. Currently I use android LG optimus but there is no other smartphone like iPhones and my 4 family members can vouch for., If Google or HTC does not make Pixel phones way cheaper(even needs to subsidized) than consider Pixel phones are DOA. Plenty android phones available with same or better spec and cheaper.
    Do we all know? Exactly what is your source for HTC and Apple agreement? Where did you read that?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 84
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Cornholieo, that agreement specifically does not allow HTC to copy/rip-off the iPhone's look: "it's specified that Apple's design patents and trade dress are still off limits to HTC" http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/6/3734732/apple-htc-settlement-agreement-revealed-redacted
    Then why did HTC immediately copy the look of the iPhone without repercussion? 
    Apple isn't going to bother suing HTC as long as they remain a barely viable bit player in the phone industry. Apple hardly ever launches offensive lawsuits, and when they do, they have always targeted their largest competitor. HTC was in that position when their lawsuit started, as was Samsung later.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Uhh no. There are more OLEDs on phones in circulation than iPhones. Apple makes their money using old technology which can be purchased for cheap, then optimizing their software to run on these cheap machines that sell at a premium. HTC and Apple signed an agreement, which allows for the companies to copy each other, which is why so may iPhones have been adopting HTCs look. I just hope the new phone comes with HTCs DAC, which offers the best sound quality of any phone on the market. While iOS is more efficient on cheaper machines, I still gravitate to Android for its Customizability, versatility, and flexibility. I also don't like the idea of being trapped in an ecosystem, people should be allowed to chose default apps, and not have them chosen for them. I do hope that Apple learns that people are different, think different, and not just a bunch of lemmings.
    Your name outs you as a troll before anyone even has to read your comment.  The iPhone has the highest benchmarks of all smartphones.  So right off the start, your statement that Apple is using old technology and that they are cheaper machines that need optimized software is completely false.
    caligilly017watto_cobrajkichlineargonautnolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 84
    ivlad said:
    Hmm, mind sharing your source of this? HTC and Apple signed an agreement? Please... we will wait here.
    I thought it was relatively common knowledge. Yes, Apple and HTC signed a 10-year cross-licencing agreement back in 2012. 

TAIPEI, Taiwan and CUPERTINO, California--November 10, 2012--HTC and Apple® have reached a global settlement that includes the dismissal of all current lawsuits and a ten-year license agreement. The license extends to current and future patents held by both parties. The terms of the settlement are confidential.

'HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation,' said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

'We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC,' said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. 'We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation.'

edited October 2016
  • Reply 32 of 84
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,358member
    gatorguy said:
    ivlad said:
    I thought it was relatively common knowledge. Yes, Apple and HTC signed a 10-year cross-licencing agreement back in 2012. 

TAIPEI, Taiwan and CUPERTINO, California--November 10, 2012--HTC and Apple® have reached a global settlement that includes the dismissal of all current lawsuits and a ten-year license agreement. The license extends to current and future patents held by both parties. The terms of the settlement are confidential.

'HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation,' said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

'We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC,' said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. 'We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation.'

There are strict anti-cloning clauses that prevent "look and feel" conflicts with Apple products, and this is similar to the clauses that Apple and MS have with each other, but otherwise, it's pretty expansive.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,743member
    Two things:

1) so... the Pixel isn't a a chromebook?

2) another rip-off of an older iPhone design that can't even match the Apple elegance of two years ago. 

Google led needs to read some iBooks on branding, stat!
    caliwatto_cobrajkichline
  • Reply 34 of 84
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    It's extraordinary how Apple is sued by every tom,dick and harry for infringing patents, and yet Google can release something that is so blatantly copied, most people would not be able to tell the difference. How can this happen?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 84
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sog35 said:
    I'm curious why all these POS brands can release super HD OLED screens and Apple can't?
    What makes you say that Apple can't?
  • Reply 36 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ivlad said:

wood1208 said:
    We all know HTC has some agreement with Apple for cross licensing tech. Obviously, HTC will copy Apple's iPhone to please Google funding HTC ship to stay float building Pixel phones which somehow Google thinks can compete with iPhone which ain't going to happen. Currently I use android LG optimus but there is no other smartphone like iPhones and my 4 family members can vouch for., If Google or HTC does not make Pixel phones way cheaper(even needs to subsidized) than consider Pixel phones are DOA. Plenty android phones available with same or better spec and cheaper.
    Do we all know? Exactly what is your source for HTC and Apple agreement? Where did you read that?
    You could do a quick search and find a plethora of sources for said agreement. 
  • Reply 37 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Your name outs you as a troll before anyone even has to read your comment.  The iPhone has the highest benchmarks of all smartphones.  So right off the start, your statement that Apple is using old technology and that they are cheaper machines that need optimized software is completely false.
    Another troll trait? He came in here, dropped his turd on the floor, and left. Now we all stand around smelling it, poking at it with a stick, and commenting on it. Why do we do that? Meanwhile the troll has left the building laughing and won’t be back to defend his turd.
    kevin keewatto_cobraargonautmuppetry
  • Reply 38 of 84
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "looks like an iPhone"

Like %99 percent of androids.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 84
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    This design is superior to the iPhones, unfortunately. First off, HTC came out with aluminum and those antenna lines before Apple. Second, the phone has large battery, and as an added bonus, no camera bump. The iPhones since 6 are not really good designs. Apple has a captive audience because everything else, including the ecosystem. This way they can still get away with bad designs, and slippery phones which are unusable without a case. 
    singularity
  • Reply 40 of 84
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    This design is superior to the iPhones
    As this is a matter of opinion, I think mostly people will disagree with you. One word that comes to mind when one use iPhone: elegance. One word that comes to mind when one use Android Phone: cheap.

HTC came out with aluminum and those antenna lines before Apple.
    It's not just 'aluminium and antenna lines', they have a purpose in the design. Apple use superior aluminium and superior signal reception, both are results of years of R&D in their HQ lab, not because some company use them first.

the phone has large battery,
    So? It doesn't mean anything without good efficiency design from software to hardware.

no camera bump.
    So? Does iPhone tilted when sit flat on its back? Superior camera requires room to fit in.

The iPhones since 6 are not really good designs.
    Again, this is a matter of opinion. Judging from the sales, you are in the minority for this.

Apple has a captive audience because everything else, including the ecosystem.
    Apple produce quality product, everyone know this. Well, beside the small irrational number of people.

This way they can still get away with bad designs,
    Apple may create some unusual design for their products (cube, can, etc.) but ugly is not the way I'd describe it and certainly not iPhone. 99% of smartphones are a copy of iPhone, that's how the make the "ugly" standard.

and slippery phones which are unusable without a case. 
    On the contrary, they make the phone so 'unslippery' that it becomes a magnet for fingerprints like the jet black version.
    caliwatto_cobraargonautnolamacguy