Samsung tells Galaxy Note 7 users to turn off, stop using device

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 is in the throes of death. The Korean tech giant on Monday issued a statement telling owners to power down and stop using the handset as it could pose a safety hazard.

Samsung is urging owners to discontinue Note 7 use as it works with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on an investigation into a "battery cell problem" that could in some cases cause the handset to catch fire or explode.

"Because consumers' safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place," the company said. "We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available."

The news comes after two more replacement Galaxy Note 7 units caught fire over the weekend. On Sunday, reports claimed Samsung temporarily suspended production of the combustible device in cooperation with U.S. and China authorities.

The Galaxy Note 7 issue surface shortly after the device launched in August, with initial reports of exploding handsets emerging from Samsung's domestic market of South Korea. Subsequent incidents -- including dozens in the U.S. -- prompted Samsung to halt shipments and issue a voluntary global recall of some 2.5 million devices.

Reports have indicated that Samsung rushed the Galaxy Note 7 to market in an attempt to capitalize on what officials at the company believed was Apple's "boring" iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus update. Among the new features in the Galaxy Note 7 is a high capacity, quick-charge battery 16 percent larger than last year's Galaxy Note.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    Measure twice, cut once. 

Samsung's error was thinking, and acting on the thought, that they needed to have the Note 7 out before the iPhone 7. Then when problems arose, they thought that they had to act quickly to recall the existing product and replace it. Somewhere in there, a failure to determine the exact cause occurred. That was a concern of mine that I noted at the time, and now it has come to pass.

FUBAR.
    nolamacguywatto_cobrabaconstanggilly33Deelron[Deleted User]calijbdragonlostkiwijony0
  • Reply 2 of 68
    "Reports have indicated that Samsung rushed the Galaxy Note 7 to market in an attempt to capitalize on what officials at the company believed was Apple's 'boring' iPhone 7 ... update."

Samsung has a point. Next to the Note 7, every other smartphone is boring. The Note 7 has captured headlines around the globe. It is simply the hottest consumer product of the year -- by hundreds of degrees!
    lolliverwatto_cobra80s_Apple_Guybaconstanggilly33dasanman69goodbyeranchmonstrosity[Deleted User]kudu
  • Reply 3 of 68
    I can't imagine a bigger PR fuck up for a company. I'm very curious to see what high-level firings come out of this. I'm not automatically against Samsung, I love technology and competition breeds innovation throughout the industry. This, however, is just incredible. 
    slprescottbaconstangstompygilly33bdkennedy1002Deelronequality72521Maurizio[Deleted User]kudu
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Too little too late and the lawsuits haven't even started yet. Steve Jobs is bathing in the karma.
    edited October 2016 baconstangwatto_cobra[Deleted User]calijbdragonlostkiwijony0
  • Reply 5 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    There are also at least 5 Edges burned up recently, and 3 S7 models as well. I wonder if the problem exists on all the models but to a much worse extent with the Note, which had its battery changed at the last minute to a larger model.
    baconstangwatto_cobraDeelron[Deleted User]calilostkiwijony0
  • Reply 6 of 68
    tmay said:
    Measure twice, cut once. 

Samsung's error was thinking, and acting on the thought, that they needed to have the Note 7 out before the iPhone 7. Then when problems arose, they thought that they had to act quickly to recall the existing product and replace it. Somewhere in there, a failure to determine the exact cause occurred. That was a concern of mine that I noted at the time, and now it has come to pass.

FUBAR.

The Note 5 came out before the iPhone 6S. I don't think it had anything to do with trying to beat the iPhone 7 - Samsung already altered the release date of the Note last year to come out earlier than the iPhone.

It's nothing more than piss-poor quality control. 
    watto_cobraMaurizio[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 68
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    As with people still driving right into flood swollen rivers there's going to be far too many people who will keep right on. Carriers shut off service to force conversion? Possibly. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 8 of 68
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tmay said:
    Measure twice, cut once. 

FUBAR.

The Note 5 came out before the iPhone 6S. I don't think it had anything to do with trying to beat the iPhone 7 - Samsung already altered the release date of the Note last year to come out earlier than the iPhone.

Note 7 is aimed directly at iPhone 7.  The previous version is Note 5.  Samsung purposely skipped 6. 
    ronnr00fus1napoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobracalijbdragonlostkiwijony0
  • Reply 9 of 68
    melgross said:
    There are also at least 5 Edges burned up recently, and 3 S7 models as well. I wonder if the problem exists on all the models but to a much worse extent with the Note, which had its battery changed at the last minute to a larger model.
    Just looked this up. Does this happen to other phones? How many burned up iPhones or Nexus models are out there? If not, Samsung really f*d something up bad this iteration. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S7-edge-buirns-while-charging_id84946
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 10 of 68
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    The CPSC is irresponsible again. They should demand an official recall of all versions of the Note 7 immediately. That is the only way to ban the use of this dangerous product. That is the only way to ensure that consumers can get refunds and have these time bombs taken out of circulation. It's another example of big business given the benefit of the doubt. They should have never allowed "safe" Note 7s to go on sale so quickly after the recall.

Apple would've been in a death spiral weeks ago had they been part of such a shitstorm.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracalilostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 68
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Not only is the Galaxy Note 7 dead but they will be unable to use this sub-brand forever.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwichcali
  • Reply 12 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Because consumers' safety remains our top priority..."

is that why Sammy took a long time for a recall?
    watto_cobrastompyRosynacalilostkiwi
  • Reply 13 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Samsung is very fucked now!
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 14 of 68
    tzeshan said:

Note 7 is aimed directly at iPhone 7.  The previous version is Note 5.  Samsung purposely skipped 6. 
    Wow - they definitely reaped what they sowed, if they cut corners and skipped testing to beatdown on an Apple that was "beleaguered" (where have we heard that one before)?
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracali
  • Reply 15 of 68
    tmay said:
    Measure twice, cut once. 

FUBAR.
    And now there's talk about releasing the Note 8 early. Yeah. that'll do it.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwichbestkeptsecretsockrolidcalilostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 68
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    All of this happening and still no ban by the FAA? Unbelievable!
    watto_cobrasockrolidmonstrositycalilostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 68
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

iPhones sometimes catch fire as well you know.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/10/iphone-6-plus-explosions/

dasanman69
  • Reply 18 of 68
    This huge Samsung mess should serve as a warning to all of you guys out there whose portfolio has significant percentage in aapl shares.
    As a long term share holder myself, looking at this mess I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IF this happen to iPhone.  For so many years, I've read so many complains (including myself) why so low PE on an extremely profitable company comparing to other tech company.

Well, the short and simplify answer is exactly what we're seeing here with the problem happening at Samsung.  Despite unheard profit margin for a hardware company, aapl is still a hardware company.  Yes, it take great software to make these hardware run but the hardware still bring in the most of the revenue and profit. 
    This nightmare scenario is very real for any hardware company, a new manufacture process, a supplier fault etc. Some of these problem will not show itself until product is enmass.  By that time it only need small number of incident in millions to bring down a product line.   

Unlike company like googl, fb, amzn, msft etc.  Think about what it will take to dethrone anyone of these company, which is why they command high PE.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
    Cheers.. 
    dasanman69
  • Reply 19 of 68
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    jayjay28 said:
    This huge Samsung mess should serve as a warning to all of you guys out there whose portfolio has significant percentage in aapl shares.
    As a long term share holder myself, looking at this mess I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IF this happen to iPhone.  For so many years, I've read so many complains (including myself) why so low PE on an extremely profitable company comparing to other tech company.

Well, the short and simplify answer is exactly what we're seeing here with the problem happening at Samsung.  Despite unheard profit margin for a hardware company, aapl is still a hardware company.  Yes, it take great software to make these hardware run but the hardware still bring in the most of the revenue and profit. 
    This nightmare scenario is very real for any hardware company, a new manufacture process, a supplier fault etc. Some of these problem will not show itself until product is enmass.  By that time it only need small number of incident in millions to bring down a product line.   

Unlike company like googl, fb, amzn, msft etc.  Think about what it will take to dethrone anyone of these company, which is why they command high PE.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
    Cheers.. 
    Are you a shareholder of Google too?  Do you know Google is jumping into the hardware business with the Pixel XL which has much bigger battery than iPhone 7 Plus? 
    gilly33perkedelronnchiasockrolidcalilostkiwi
  • Reply 20 of 68
    hentaiboy said:

iPhones sometimes catch fire as well you know.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/10/iphone-6-plus-explosions/

Highly likely they were using third party cheapo  chargers. They're usually the culprit. They fry the charging port all the time, and harm batteries all the time. I know because I repair iPhones. Given that the iPhone 6 is two years old, there's really a million things that could have happened. If it ends up being a manufaturing defect, I'd expect Apple to handle the problem much more quickly and professionally than Samsung. If they don't they deserve whatever retribution they get. 
    gilly33Bluntchialostkiwi