Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 281 of 352
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    freerange said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
    My son and many of his friends use helmet comms to take calls, get directions via voice, that type of thing. Yeah they use their phones while riding, and it's common. 
    Well your son and his friends are idiots. No one should be unlocking their phones when they are riding/driving. That's just dumb.

You don't have to unlock the phone to take or make a call (unless things have changed).  I do both all the time.  Many GPS apps (including Waze, MapQuest and Google Maps, from my own experience, and probably Apple Maps as well, though I haven't tried it) have an option to keep the phone unlocked while the app is in the foreground, so no need to unlock there either.
    This.  The people raising these corner cases - specifically this one of saying they can't unlock the phone while wearing a helmut while riding a bike - are not thinking it through. 
    - Use of any smartphone while driving needs to be done by having hands-free system (legally, ethically, morally)
    - If necessary to use for app like maps/navigation, simply open before you go & it will stay open

In other words, FaceID is not an issue here.  It will introduce some limitations with sunglasses, and for some that were face coverings frequently.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 282 of 352
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    brucemc said:
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
    The new iPhone 4.7" model has been $649 for the last 3 years, ever since the 6 models. The 8 is $50 more. 

The 7 plus was $769, so the 8 plus is $30 more. 

A bit surprising that they had this increase, but I can see the reasoning:
    - increased the base storage one year after moving to 32GB on the 7 series
    - both the 7/7+ and 6s/6s+, as well as the SE remain in the lineup for the broadest iPhone line ever
    - it is small enough ($50 and $30 respectively) to not elicit too much blowback

As for the $999 price of the X, it is pretty much inline with competition, with the Samsung Note 8 at $950 and the Galaxy S8+ at $850.  Rumour is that the top-of-the-line OLED screens Apple is getting from S are significantly more. I will say I thought at that price the base model would be 128GB, but that thinking was before the rumours on screen cost. 
    Another possible reason for the increase in prices is rise in NAND flash prices.  iPad Pros were also increased by $50 today

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/12/ipad-pro-price-increase/
    Apple set a profit margin about 40% across all products. This is the reason Apple products are all expensive. But I see a problem here. Apple should not do that for high priced products. If Apple do that to AppleCar the price will be $100,000. But BMW profit margin is only 9.8%. Competition force BMW to low profit margin. Smartphones are in a high competitive market. I think the best way for Apple is lower the profit margin of iPhone X for the extra items like the OLED screen. Then a $899 price will become really attractive.
  • Reply 283 of 352
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    Full screen display has been done before on the Samsung S8 and Note 8, plus they have a higher resolution and higher DPI value and curved too.
    LG also has a couple of full screen display android phones. 

I think the jury is out on FaceID, this phone was most likely designed to have touch id in the screen but the technology just isn't there yet, what demos I've seen, it is slow too. Next year it might be ready, but then Samsung will release a phone with it first.

So FaceID might be a pain to use, it's not natural to lift a phone to point at ones face in my opinion, and it's certainly not as quick as touch id.

Also did you notice that Craig Federighi wiped his face after the epic fail, why did he do this, is there a flaw in FaceID with sweaty people causing FaceID fails?

Also if security is important, then you wouldn't use any biometric option anyway and you'd stick with a pin, as not easy to unlock that from ones head.

AR looks cool, but I can't imagine it being the next big thing, certainly won't be playing a game holding my phone out in front of me while moving around, make my arms ache for sure.

So yes, I can see why those in the know are not that blown away. I thought the LTE Apple watch was more exciting, but 1 day battery life just sucks!

edited September 2017
  • Reply 284 of 352
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:
    iPhone 8 and X both get a giant MEH from this fanboy. 

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!
    If you are satisfied with the 6, there is nothing wrong with that.

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    But when you realise it's still just a phone, the price will come into focus for many.

Not that I'm against it in this case.

If you think the phone is worthy of the price tag and you can afford it, great, but my guess is that demand will be spread out all along the line and the X will be a status thing for a much smaller group of users.
    But it isn't just a phone.

Smartphones are essential to modern life.  I'd argue that smartphones are the most important product a person owns besides their car and home.  And many argue its even more important than those two.

The difference between owing the ELITE PHONE on the planet and a so-so phone is literally just pennies a day.  

IMO, the X will have massive demand and sell out almost instantly around the world.

Apple has raised the bar AGAIN. They have made the LUXURY phone mainstream.  

IN the next couple years we will be seeing larger iPhones selling for $1200-$1500 easy.  Which is a great thing.  I hate the race to the bottom most smartphone makers engage in.  I want QUALITY.  And I want the BEST.
    Much of the profit brought by that QUALITY will go to Samsung as OLED price. Apple may gain nothing on that X model. You are an "investor" right?

Just a few days ago Kuo was bragging about Samsung's success by managing to sell to Apple panels for $120-130 each, how did you forget that so fast?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 285 of 352
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ben20 said:
    I didn't notice but was the size of iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 and 8+? I know they mentioned 5.8" screen but how tall and wide is it?

iPhone X Height 5.65 inches (143.6 mm) Width 2.79 inches (70.9 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.7 mm) Weight 6.14 ounces (174 grams)

iPhone 8 Plus Height 6.24 inches (158.4 mm) Width 3.07 inches (78.1 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.5 mm) Weight 7.13 ounces (202 grams)

iPhone 8 Height 5.45 inches (138.4 mm) Width 2.65 inches (67.3 mm) Depth 0.29 inch (7.3 mm) Weight 5.22 ounces (148 grams)

I like the fact the the X is substantially smaller than the 8plus. Can't wait to see the difference!
    Yes, very impressive. I can't wait for them to do this to the SE model. Then it will be the perfect phone size for me -- compact size with maximum display area with a super Retina display for maximum legibility and scaling.
  • Reply 286 of 352
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    But even you would have a price limit where the Apple fashion tax would be too much.  Where is it?  $1,500?  $2,000? Higher?  Ferrari commands the prices they do, not because of their performance, but rather because of their exclusivity.  With very few exceptions Ferrari customers want to be seen in something the 99.9% can't afford and show off their wealth, not go as fast as the car will possibly go.

What I want from Apple is to get the Lexus of phones.  I want the highest quality produced in a quantity that supports a reasonable price.  I'm willing to pay for the newest technology, but I do not want to pay extra just for exclusivity.  There isn't anything cutting edge in the phone, but it is very nicely integrated into a cohesive product.  An honest evaluation of the specs of the iPhone X would find $799 to be a good base price for the entry 64GB model.  The Galaxy S8 starts at $725.  What does the iPhone X offer above that to justify a 50% premium?  Face ID that is no better than Touch ID?  A somewhat better camera?  At anything over $800 consumers are paying for fashion, not for the product.

Even if it is the "best phone on planet earth" customers will have a breaking point where they will not pay for it.  Yours is obviously higher than mine, which is fine, but that kind of fashion premium sours me on the Apple brand overall.  I hate feeling like my choice is to overpay or settle for something secondary.  The feeling of value for quality is just not there anymore as fashion & exclusivity are taking a leading role at Apple.
    edited September 2017 avon b7
  • Reply 287 of 352
    mac_128 said:
    ben20 said:
    I didn't notice but was the size of iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 and 8+? I know they mentioned 5.8" screen but how tall and wide is it?

iPhone X Height 5.65 inches (143.6 mm) Width 2.79 inches (70.9 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.7 mm) Weight 6.14 ounces (174 grams)

iPhone 8 Plus Height 6.24 inches (158.4 mm) Width 3.07 inches (78.1 mm) Depth 0.30 inch (7.5 mm) Weight 7.13 ounces (202 grams)

iPhone 8 Height 5.45 inches (138.4 mm) Width 2.65 inches (67.3 mm) Depth 0.29 inch (7.3 mm) Weight 5.22 ounces (148 grams)

I like the fact the the X is substantially smaller than the 8plus. Can't wait to see the difference!
    Yes, very impressive. I can't wait for them to do this to the SE model. Then it will be the perfect phone size for me -- compact size with maximum display area with a super Retina display for maximum legibility and scaling.
    If memory serves me right didn't Apple say they were going to be releasing a iPhone SE 2nd generation in sometime March of next year 2018.
  • Reply 288 of 352
    ben20 said:

Yup that might make it feel even better in your hand.
  • Reply 289 of 352
    k2kw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, I don't know how well this is going to work, but I'm pretty sure that FaceID is not a last minute switch because they couldn't get TouchID to work. This looks like something they've been sitting on for years, but didn't have the processing power to make it work instaneously. 

I was concerned that it wouldn't be as reliable as TouchID, and Craig's demo didn't do anything to help with that. 

That is a lot tech going on there. 

Works if you grow a beard.
    Works at night. 
    Works (I think) at an angle. 
    Won't trigger if you're not looking at the phone, or if you're eyes are closed, which will stop the kids raiding your bank account while you're asleep. 

I'll wait and see, but at least they didn't put a fingerprint reader on the back. 
    I like touchid and would have been untested if they had gotten that to work.  Or at least let us use the Apple logo on the back as the touchid Sensor.

Right now it seems like this phone is an old Apple design (iPhone 4) mixed with Samsung note features like wireless charging and OLED screens.   Even the Essential phone has a much smaller bump at the top.

Having gone through Hurricane Irma what would have been a great improvement would be doubling or tripling battery time.

If anyone figures out that they will revolutionize the world.
    And a lot less functionality. That's the thng that kills me. If you don't give a crap for the added functions, it will bother you, otherwise it won't.
  • Reply 290 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    saltyzip said:
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    Full screen display has been done before on the Samsung S8 and Note 8, plus they have a higher resolution and higher DPI value and curved too.
    I'm shocked that's the part you focus on, not the actual quality the display¡ Shocked, I tell you¡
    edited September 2017 StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 291 of 352
    saltyzip said:
    LG also has a couple of full screen display android phones. 

I think the jury is out on FaceID, this phone was most likely designed to have touch id in the screen but the technology just isn't there yet, what demos I've seen, it is slow too. Next year it might be ready, but then Samsung will release a phone with it first.

So FaceID might be a pain to use, it's not natural to lift a phone to point at ones face in my opinion, and it's certainly not as quick as touch id.

Also did you notice that Craig Federighi wiped his face after the epic fail, why did he do this, is there a flaw in FaceID with sweaty people causing FaceID fails?

Also if security is important, then you wouldn't use any biometric option anyway and you'd stick with a pin, as not easy to unlock that from ones head.

AR looks cool, but I can't imagine it being the next big thing, certainly won't be playing a game holding my phone out in front of me while moving around, make my arms ache for sure.

So yes, I can see why those in the know are not that blown away. I thought the LTE Apple watch was more exciting, but 1 day battery life just sucks!

The curve is A BEZEL, seriously, I'm tired of this shit. You lose a hell of a lot of real estate on the side that is distorted as crap because of the curve.

Also, you don't lift your phone to look at it? What? Make a better argument.

You could argue that sometimes you want to unlock the phone without looking at it at all (not often but it happens), but you choose this lame argument.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 292 of 352
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

But when you realise it's still just a phone, the price will come into focus for many.

If you think the phone is worthy of the price tag and you can afford it, great, but my guess is that demand will be spread out all along the line and the X will be a status thing for a much smaller group of users.
    But it isn't just a phone.

Smartphones are essential to modern life.  I'd argue that smartphones are the most important product a person owns besides their car and home.  And many argue its even more important than those two.

The difference between owing the ELITE PHONE on the planet and a so-so phone is literally just pennies a day.  

IMO, the X will have massive demand and sell out almost instantly around the world.

Apple has raised the bar AGAIN. They have made the LUXURY phone mainstream.  

IN the next couple years we will be seeing larger iPhones selling for $1200-$1500 easy.  Which is a great thing.  I hate the race to the bottom most smartphone makers engage in.  I want QUALITY.  And I want the BEST.
    Much of the profit brought by that QUALITY will go to Samsung as OLED price. Apple may gain nothing on that X model. You are an "investor" right?

Just a few days ago Kuo was bragging about Samsung's success by managing to sell to Apple panels for $120-130 each, how did you forget that so fast?
    I doubt the panel is $120, though if there is a 50% loss because of the cutout it may cost Apple $120 (that's a difference).
  • Reply 293 of 352
    AirPower...you mean the US Air Force doesn't have an iron grip on that word? Or is there a letter already inbound to Bruce Sewell, Apple's GC? 
  • Reply 294 of 352
    melgross said:
    If they’re doing it legally…
    Since when have they cared about that, Mel? Not for decades now. The protections of the Constitution have been almost fully eroded. And that’s all I’ll say on the political matters in this thread.
  • Reply 295 of 352
    If memory serves me right didn't Apple say they were going to be releasing a iPhone SE 2nd generation in sometime March of next year 2018.
    Why would they have said that? And why would they do it? The SE exists for the people who desire a smaller phone, but Apple obviously doesn’t care about that or they’d’ve made a new 4” phone with a case that looked like the iPhone 7’s when it was first launched.
  • Reply 296 of 352
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    freerange said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
    My son and many of his friends use helmet comms to take calls, get directions via voice, that type of thing. Yeah they use their phones while riding, and it's common. 
    Well your son and his friends are idiots. No one should be unlocking their phones when they are riding/driving. That's just dumb.

You've very obviously never owned a motorcycle. 
    I own a very fast sport motorcycle and am used to southern California traffic. It's dangerous enough without fucking around with your phone. When you ride you have one job -- pay attention to the road and dont get killed, because car drivers aren't going to see you. 

As for phone use while riding, note that you dont need to unlock to accept a call. I would never attempt to unlock my phone while riding. That's just stupid.
  • Reply 297 of 352
    is the 8 really necessary?  and why don't they just call it 7s?  I mean, it's a nice stop gap till the X is out in 6 weeks' time but it's not that much cheaper than the X anyway.  If they want the average price per unit to go up, why have the 8 cannibalise X sales?
  • Reply 298 of 352
    I own a very fast sport motorcycle and am used to southern California traffic. It's dangerous enough without fucking around with your phone. When you ride you have one job -- pay attention to the road and dont get killed, because car drivers aren't going to see you. 

As for phone use while riding, note that you dont need to unlock to accept a call. I would never attempt to unlock my phone while riding. That's just stupid.
    Absolutely.
  • Reply 299 of 352
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

Nope, bogus premise -- it's not "just a phone". Were that true we'd still be using flip phones. it's a computer. in your pocket. 

Would you prefer I used 'smart' before every instance of phone?

I think it's clear I mean 'smart' and not 'feature' but as you wish.

Is there something the X has that other smartphones are not?

I don't mean how they do it but what they do.

You know, something that screams I must have that feature and the only way I'll get it is on the X?
    If you change your original claim to "it's just a smartphone" it doesn't make sense -- there is no limiting ("just") factor with a smart-phone, which indicates "pocket computer that oh btw can also take calls". "just" a phone indicates limited usefulness. But smartphones, being computers, can do all sorts of use cases beyond plain old calls. That's what makes them smart, that's what makes them computers, and that's what makes them pricey. So moving the goalposts to "it's just a smart-phone" doesn't make sense as a complaint in the way that pretending "it's just a phone" does.

As to the rest, I never said anything about what the X does or doesnt compared to competitors. I only took issue with the bogus claim that it's "just a phone", which you have now retracted. But personally, I'm looking forward to the cameras and virtual lighting, the unrivaled A11 processing power to run my apps even faster, the size, etc.. All without having to use a crappy Android OS and knockoff hardware.
  • Reply 300 of 352

saltyzip said:
    I thought the LTE Apple watch was more exciting, but 1 day battery life just sucks!
    I take it you don't own an AW. Battery life is a non-issue, as you charge it every night next to your phone, the device it's an accessory to.