First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 281 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    Well, the notch basically boils down to opinion. I like it. I even think it looks classy.

It does give a sensation of more screen expanse. In part, this is due to the very presence of the notch itself, which is slightly ironic.

Gruber perhaps has gone a little overboard with his reaction but as opinions go it's just one more for the pile.

Although I haven't touched one yet, and therefore have to reserve my final thoughts, I have serious doubts about the metal in the glass sandwich which looks overstated in the photos.

The camera bulge is fugly IMO but I'm not a fan of them even on a good day. Much less when they are off centre but again, this is design opinion and I might be in the minority.
    When Gruber really doesn’t like something he’s not shy about voicing it. I said earlier I’d like more Apple PR on how and why some of the decisions were made. If you go to the X product page on Apple’s website they clearly are embracing the notch, not trying to hide it in any way. Which makes me wonder if the thought was  the home button was something iconic and once we lose it iPhone will look like every other phone out there and so they embraced the notch because it would make the X unique. If you look at renders that put a black bar at the top and bottom the X becomes indistinguishable from many Android phones. I’m a little surprised we didn’t get dark mode as I think that would have made the notch less of an eyesore 
  • Reply 282 of 436
    Wow John Gruber is really harsh on the notch, much more so than other Apple bloggers/Apple podcasts I’ve read/listened to. He called it “offensive” and “a joke”. Even the ATP guys weren’t that harsh (and they can pick nits like nobodies business). 

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations
    What I get from that post is that he also confirms Apple has worked on Touch ID in display. It doesn't matter when Apple abandoned it, early or late. What matters is the relationship of this abandonment decision to the preservation decision of Touch ID on LCD models. As long as Apple maintains the LCD designs with Touch ID, I don't care whether Apple abandons it or implements it on the X model(s).

Edit:
    And indeed wow to him for the notch...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 283 of 436
    There is another function tied to the Home Button no one is talking about. And it is really useful.

If I double tap on the button I get the upper part of the screen to go down so I can easily can manage the phone with just one hand.

Is this useful function lost forever on the iPhone X? Deal breaker for me...

• Reply 284 of 436
    There is another function tied to the Home Button no one is talking about. And it is really useful.

If I double tap on the button I get the upper part of the screen to go down so I can easily can manage the phone with just one hand.

According to Rene Ritchie reachability is indeed gone from the X.
    raulcristian
  • Reply 285 of 436
    Actually 16:9 content will display as if on a 5" screen. 
    Solispheric
  • Reply 286 of 436

Wow John Gruber is really harsh on the notch, much more so than other Apple bloggers/Apple podcasts I’ve read/listened to. He called it “offensive” and “a joke”. Even the ATP guys weren’t that harsh (and they can pick nits like nobodies business). 

What I get from that post is that he also confirms Apple has worked on Touch ID in display. It doesn't matter when Apple abandoned it, early or late. What matters is the relationship of this abandonment decision to the preservation decision of Touch ID on LCD models. As long as Apple maintains the LCD designs with Touch ID, I don't care whether Apple abandons it or implements it on the X model(s).

Edit:
    Seems to me the 8 exists because they couldn’t manufacture enough X to meet demand. But the X is the future. Eventually Touch ID will be gone. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 287 of 436
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    k2kw said:
    melgross said:
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    I hope Apple does more media to explain their thinking behind what they announced because it is kind of confusing. IPhone X is the future yet there is an iPhone 8 which has the same A11 chip, nearly the same camera as the X, wireless charging like the X, video recording the same as the.X, true tone and wide color display same as the X. But the 8 still has home button, Touch ID and bezels. The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones. I have a feeling it will all be a bit confusing to consumers.
    "The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones."

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly what it feels like. It's a tough decision. i think Apple made the right one.
    Let's consider if Apple had been able to obtain unlimited OLED displays and no OLED displays.

Unlimited: They have the most radical iPhone announcement to date. In many ways it's even more radical than when the iPhone was first introduced in comparison to other "smart"phones on the market, but for an YoY release it's just an amazing jump for a company that I'd argue has a history of soft-stepping radical, customer-facing innovations. Not having Touch ID, having Face ID, that display permitter, and price point are far too many things, in my opinion, even if we discount OLED panel availability as a factor.

None: They release an iPhone 8 series. It has Qi charging, USB 3.0 speeds over Lightning and fast charging, it has a better camera with OIS in both lenses and new SW features to go with it, it has a TrueTone display, and the A11 Bionic. That seems like a great update in and of itself, but there's also no reason—except that the iPhone X exists and that component supply may also be low-yield for Face ID—that Face ID could't have been added to it, had they wanted to.

So I agree that Apple made the right choice but I don't see how OLED supply not being a factor would mean the iPhone 8 series wouldn't still exist.

PS: If you adjust the factors so that the iPhone X displays is the same cost as the iPhone 7 then things get more interesting, but I can't see how that could ever be the case with what we know about OLED production right now. Perhaps the Toshiba factory was suppose to solve that, but then you still have the iPhone 8 series being $50 more than the iPhone 7 series last year. Where did that extra cost from? Is Apple just getting more profit because they're, like, super greedy? Is it just to make the price difference to the iPhone X seem like less of a jump? I'm guessing that adding Qi charging plays a big role in that.
    Apple is probably getting HUGE profits by even Apple's standards because didn't they drop Qualcomm for Intel modems.   

Aaand, of course, you don’t know that.
    You are right that I am just guessing, but wait till IFixIt does their tear down to see which modem is being used Intel or Qualcomm.  
    If intel then they are definitely paying less for licensing.
    Maybe by a couple of bucks, or so. But you’re talking about Trumpian differences “YUGE” profits. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 288 of 436
    k2kw said:
    melgross said:
    I hope Apple does more media to explain their thinking behind what they announced because it is kind of confusing. IPhone X is the future yet there is an iPhone 8 which has the same A11 chip, nearly the same camera as the X, wireless charging like the X, video recording the same as the.X, true tone and wide color display same as the X. But the 8 still has home button, Touch ID and bezels. The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones. I have a feeling it will all be a bit confusing to consumers.
    "The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones."

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly what it feels like. It's a tough decision. i think Apple made the right one.
    So are you guys saying there shouldn't be differing products based on differing needs and different constraints? Struggling to understand.
    Not at all. What we're saying (or at least I am) is given an ideal situation of no supply constraints on components, Apple would've probably liked to have released two iPhone X models: 5.8" & 6.4" (starting at say $799 or $899), no iPhone 8 models, and lower prices on the rest of the line-up (SE, 6S, 7).  Apple promotes the iPhone X as the future of the iPhone for the next ten years. If so, I'd imagine they want to get it in as many hands as possible, but as we know, key components are severely constrained right now.

That may not happen...

OLED is not a new tech, it is an  old tech existing since many years. If that OLED tech didn't reach the level of yield to support the iPhone, after so many years, if the best producer's yield is only 60%, let’s admit it we may be done with OLED. There may be no more OLED with the iPhone. The X may be the first and last OLED iPhone. Don't let your opinions be manipulated by Kuo, try to see the big surface, composed of hundreds of millions of LCD iPhones, iPads, iPods, LCD Macbooks and iMacs.

May that change? It may. Apple is powerful enough to lead that change. But at what cost, in how many years, and will Apple choose to do that?

LG had announced this year that they're investing billions into OLED production just to meet Apple's needs. If what you say is true, then they're essentially flushing billions of dollars down the toilet. I'm not convinced OLED is done, at least in the near future (ie: 5 years).
    OLED is a transitional technology. It’s still fairly new, and it has years ahead of it But it also has problems. Companies have been working on newer technologies, such as the MicroLED screens Apple is working on. Apple is making a big push in that area, and hopefully, we’ll see them at some point, likely in the Apple Watch at first. But when will that happen? Apple is considered to be ahead in that work, but we don’t know how far they’ve come. And making a small watch screen doesn’t mean they could suddenly move that up to phone size.

but by going OLED this year, we can assume they’ve got some time to go. I doubt they would make such a big deal about OLED this year, only to go MicroLED next year, or the year after that. If they can get enough screens next year, at a more reasonable price, I would expect all the flagship models (and there may only be two again) to use them, and to use them for at least a couple of years after that, if not longer.
    I think we will have a larger version of the iPhone X and iPadPro with OLED display before microLED hits production (if at all),
    Not sure about the he iPad Pro OLED. That would be really expensive. I’m not sure Apple is willing to go there. I can see the features that make it interesting for a phone, but less compelling for a device such as my 12.9” iPad Pro. But you never know.
  • Reply 289 of 436
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Multiply $699 by 40%. Simple enough. 
    WRONG.

Its $799 for the iPhone 8+

The iPhone 8 screen area is significantly smaller than the X.

You can be so silly. The OP plainly and obviously was comparing prices between the 8 and the X. For him the 8 will be fine and dandy if he can buy it for $699 , but 40% more for the X not so much.  You're saying wrong does not make it so.
    Sorry bro.  You are wrong.

This is like someone bitching that a 70 inch TV cost more than a 50 inch TV.  Duh.  Of course its going to cost more.

Comparing the price between the 8 and X is dishonest.

Dishonest? The OP doesn't see the personal value for him in spending 40% more on the X, the 8 checking the boxes for the features he thinks he wants. Seems an honest enough opinion.
    The only one being dishonest is Sog with his comment about the screen size means you can't compare the iPhone 8 to the iPhone X when it comes to a purchase decision even though the unobstructed display size is 5.15", not 5.8", and the display width is the same as the iPhone 8 which means that size plays a big part in the purchase decision. Personally, I won't even consider the iPhone X design until there's a Plus equivalency.
    What is it that you think is obstructing 0.65" of diagonal display size?  Where did the 5.15" diagonal come from?  Last I heard of that was back when Kuo was predicting a touchbar panel at the bottom, but it didn't work out that way, did it?  At most there's 0.15" shaved off from the notch.  Where's the other 0.5" missing from? 
    I can’t talk about what Soli wants, or thinks, but I’m all in with the + series, having had a 6+ and now the 7+. If the X was of that size, and by size, I mean screen width, I’d buy the X in a moment. I’m hoping that next year, when we’re ready on our two year cycle, that we’ll have that. I suspect we will.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 290 of 436

I ignore it when guys like Gruber complain. Most of the time I agree with him, but sometimes I don’t. I’ve written to him a number of times over the years, AMD he’s replied back about half the time. I happen to think the notch is brilliant. I also,think that since some people, including Gruber don’t completely understand it, they don’t like it. I’m surprised at his response, and haven’t written him yet.

but if people understand that the “ears” save screen space for apps, and give us that info without having apps blank it out, requiring us to tap out to see it, then maybe they’ll appreciate it more.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 291 of 436

avon b7 said:
    Well, the notch basically boils down to opinion. I like it. I even think it looks classy.

It does give a sensation of more screen expanse. In part, this is due to the very presence of the notch itself, which is slightly ironic.

Gruber perhaps has gone a little overboard with his reaction but as opinions go it's just one more for the pile.

Although I haven't touched one yet, and therefore have to reserve my final thoughts, I have serious doubts about the metal in the glass sandwich which looks overstated in the photos.

The camera bulge is fugly IMO but I'm not a fan of them even on a good day. Much less when they are off centre but again, this is design opinion and I might be in the minority.
    Well, it’s now come down to the fact that pretty much every phone that has any pretentious of having a good camera system has some sort of hump for it. Some are worse than others. Yes, it’s slightly annoying, but as most of us use a case anyway, it doesn’t mean anything. I’m now using a case from Moment, the lens maker. I’ve got two of their lenses so far, and they’re surprisingly good. I have the macro and the tele. For add on smartphone lenses they’re somewhat expensive. But the cheap ones out there are total junk.

so I don’t see a problem with these humps, bumps or whatever people want to call them.
  • Reply 292 of 436
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,570member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    WRONG.

You can be so silly. The OP plainly and obviously was comparing prices between the 8 and the X. For him the 8 will be fine and dandy if he can buy it for $699 , but 40% more for the X not so much.  You're saying wrong does not make it so.

This is like someone bitching that a 70 inch TV cost more than a 50 inch TV.  Duh.  Of course its going to cost more.

Dishonest? The OP doesn't see the personal value for him in spending 40% more on the X, the 8 checking the boxes for the features he thinks he wants. Seems an honest enough opinion.
    The only one being dishonest is Sog with his comment about the screen size means you can't compare the iPhone 8 to the iPhone X when it comes to a purchase decision even though the unobstructed display size is 5.15", not 5.8", and the display width is the same as the iPhone 8 which means that size plays a big part in the purchase decision. Personally, I won't even consider the iPhone X design until there's a Plus equivalency.
    What is it that you think is obstructing 0.65" of diagonal display size?  Where did the 5.15" diagonal come from?  Last I heard of that was back when Kuo was predicting a touchbar panel at the bottom, but it didn't work out that way, did it?  At most there's 0.15" shaved off from the notch.  Where's the other 0.5" missing from? 
    I can’t talk about what Soli wants, or thinks, but I’m all in with the + series, having had a 6+ and now the 7+. If the X was of that size, and by size, I mean screen width, I’d buy the X in a moment. I’m hoping that next year, when we’re ready on our two year cycle, that we’ll have that. I suspect we will.
    That's only because you can't afford the best. :)
    (Totally 100% kidding Mel)
  • Reply 293 of 436

avon b7 said:

When Gruber really doesn’t like something he’s not shy about voicing it. I said earlier I’d like more Apple PR on how and why some of the decisions were made. If you go to the X product page on Apple’s website they clearly are embracing the notch, not trying to hide it in any way. Which makes me wonder if the thought was  the home button was something iconic and once we lose it iPhone will look like every other phone out there and so they embraced the notch because it would make the X unique. If you look at renders that put a black bar at the top and bottom the X becomes indistinguishable from many Android phones. I’m a little surprised we didn’t get dark mode as I think that would have made the notch less of an eyesore 
    What I think is that Apple looked at all,the sensors, mics, speaker, camera, etc. and asked the engineering guys to see how small a bar they needed. When they found that they had a lot of,space left over, which I imagine they were hoping for and expecting, and possibly asked for, they decided to make use of it. By putting that bar info up there, though not having enough room for the carrier name, which isn’t really useful most of the time anyway, they moved it out if the full width screen right below, allowing developers to take advantage of that extra space without having to push the top info off screen, as most do now.

that is a great idea! And it gives the look some extra pizzazz. Sure, there will always be a small number of people to whome something different like this will be a problem. It’s really petty though. But at least I’m seeing fewer complaints that when Apple removed the earphone jack.
    radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 294 of 436

Edit:
    Seems to me the 8 exists because they couldn’t manufacture enough X to meet demand. But the X is the future. Eventually Touch ID will be gone. 
    X may be the future but Apple has implemented that future into the 8 series already.

And that future is available with the 8 series today...
  • Reply 295 of 436

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    WRONG.

Ignorant.

The X screen area is significantly bigger than the 8. Learn basic math.  And watch your tone
    Just to set the record straight...

iPhone 8, 4.7"
    actual display measurements:  4.69" on the diagonal, 4.092" tall, 2.3" wide.
    total display area: 9.41 square inches

iPhone 8+, 5.5"
    actual display measurements: 5.4935" on the diagonal, 4.788" tall, 2.6932" wide
    total display area: 12.895 square inches (37% larger than iPhone 8 display)

iPhone X, 5.8"
    actual display measurements*: 5.8586" on the diagonal, 5.3188" tall, 2.456" wide
    total display area*: 13.063 square inches (38.8% larger than iPhone 8, just 1.3% larger than iPhone 8+)

* does not account for rounded corners or sensor notch

thanks for the screen stats.  I've been looking for them, but could not find them.

The X with an almost 40% larger screen area than the 8 is very significant
    For me, the + is all about screen width, not height. Most of my typing is done with the phone held vertically, as most people do. I find it easier to type on the wider screen. I also like the fact that you can turn the phone to horizontal and get an even wider keyboard with the extra keys. While I’ve looked at the X pages on Apple’s site, I didn’t notice whether we can do that with the X as well. It would be a shame if we couldn’t, so that would be another reason I’m not going to run to buy one, out of our two year cycle, this year.
  • Reply 296 of 436
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

I ignore it when guys like Gruber complain. Most of the time I agree with him, but sometimes I don’t. I’ve written to him a number of times over the years, AMD he’s replied back about half the time. I happen to think the notch is brilliant. I also,think that since some people, including Gruber don’t completely understand it, they don’t like it. I’m surprised at his response, and haven’t written him yet.

but if people understand that the “ears” save screen space for apps, and give us that info without having apps blank it out, requiring us to tap out to see it, then maybe they’ll appreciate it more.
    I agree the Notch is the best option available right now.

IMO, its much better than the much larger top and bottom bezel on the Samsung phones.  Or the horribily bad non-symetrical bottom bezel on the Essential phone.

The X gives the impression of a true bezeless phone on all 4 corners and on 3 of 4 sides.  It really is amazing looking.

Of course I'd prefer a phone with no notches and no bezels, but that just isn't possible yet.

Gruber is also forgeting that the Notch is necessary to make FaceID a reality.  Sure Apple could have put less sensors and made the notch smaller. But then it would have to use a shitty fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone like Samsung/Essential and all the other trash Android junk
    I really don’t think Gruber gets this. This seems to one place where he’s being small minded. Apple could have easily not had a notch if they just brought the top bezel across the entire screen as others do. That would have completely “solved” the notch problem in an easier, and apparently, cheaper way. Then, of course, they would have had to decide about what to do with the bottom, with the rounded corners, because people would then be complaining that the top of the screen was straight to the corner, but the bottom wasn’t, and that it looks bad. Samsung uses a bezel there as well, likely, at least in part, because of that. If Apple did that though, they would then be accused of copying Samsung’s design

so then they could round off the top of the screen below the full width bezel to make it symmetrical. But then some people would complain that Apple cut off usable space on the screen up there, and so Apple could....

well, you get the idea.

not only is the notch actually a better way to do things with a full size screen, but it’s actually easier, from a design viewpoint.
    edited September 2017 radarthekatpscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 297 of 436

Edit:
    Agreed.
  • Reply 298 of 436
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,990member
    sog35 said:
    MplsP said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    WRONG.

My original comment was comparing the 8 to the X. Sog changed it to the 8+ vs the X to make the price difference smaller. 

Actually, comparing the 8 plus and the X is dishonest. If you want to move from the 8 to the X you have one path. That path costs 40% more. If all you compare is diagonal screen sizes then you miss major points, but Sog seems to miss that.  
    WRONG AGAIN BRO!!!

Your original comment was reply to someone comparing the 8+ to the X.

You are the one who went 'off topic'

If you want to compare the 8 to the X you should have started a new thread instead of replying to someone comparing the 8+ to the X.
    To quote my original post - "The bottom line is you're still paying over 40% more to get an iPhone X vs an iPhone 8." Pretty clear. To most, anyway. 
  • Reply 299 of 436
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,570member
    MplsP said:
    sog35 said:
    MplsP said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    WRONG.

My original comment was comparing the 8 to the X. Sog changed it to the 8+ vs the X to make the price difference smaller. 

Actually, comparing the 8 plus and the X is dishonest. If you want to move from the 8 to the X you have one path. That path costs 40% more. If all you compare is diagonal screen sizes then you miss major points, but Sog seems to miss that.  
    WRONG AGAIN BRO!!!

Your original comment was reply to someone comparing the 8+ to the X.

You are the one who went 'off topic'

If you want to compare the 8 to the X you should have started a new thread instead of replying to someone comparing the 8+ to the X.
    To quote my original post - "The bottom line is you're still paying over 40% more to get an iPhone X vs an iPhone 8." Pretty clear. To most, anyway. 
    Ignore Sog. He has a bone to protect. Far too space already given over to that very petty disagreement with you. 
    edited September 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 300 of 436

According to Rene Ritchie reachability is indeed gone from the X.

If that is true, it's terrible. I use the double tap a lot, and this screen is even larger!