Temporary iPhone X activation problems occur as AT&T, Verizon servers get slammed [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Some users with a new iPhone X are being stymied by error messages when trying to activate the device, caused by massive load on AT&T and Verizon's servers.

Scattered reports on social media venues note the issues, with it being seen by AppleInsider staffers as well. The connectivity problem manifests as either an error exhorting users to try again, or a persistent screen saying that it may take a few minutes to activate the phone.

Should the user get the former error, Apple recommends hitting Try Again when it is convenient for the user to do so, until the device is activated. A stuck activation screen may necessitate a reboot of the device by holding the power button on the right and swiping to shut down.

AppleInsider has contacted sources familiar with the matter within AT&T, Verizon, and Apple outside the customer service representative chain but not authorized to speak on behalf of the company. All three sources told us that the fault is on the carrier side, and should clear up over time.

While originally for a different reason, long-time iPhone users from the original iPhone through the iPhone 4 were subject to multi-hour long wait periods before a phone was activated and ready to use.

Update: It appears that the activation problems have cleared up, as expected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    I called Apple support about the issue and after checking into it, they said the problem was my iPhone X shipped with IOS 6! Apparently many other of the phones have the same issue.

• Reply 2 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    bluefire1 said:
    I called Apple support about the issue and after checking into it, they said the problem was my iPhone X shipped with IOS 6! Apparently many other of the phones have the same issue.

Shipped with iOS 6? Sounds like someone is just being an asshat...
    calimike1JFC_PA
  • Reply 3 of 25
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    bluefire1 said:

I don't know if this is sarcasm.

It is hard to believe that the newest iPhone X will allow an iOS 6 installation.

calimike1
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Apple support checked my serial number and confirmed it shipped with IOS 6. 
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    bluefire1 said:
    They may have told you that, but even if they're correct there is precisely zero chance of that actually being anything more than a database aberration. It wouldn't even get this far, as iOS 6 is 32-bit, and the Bionic has no runtime for 32-bit at all.

We've got the word from all three of the horse's mouths. Server load.
    edited November 2017 StrangeDaysnetroxmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    My roommate got X and he had trouble activating on T-Mobile as well but it got through after a second try.
    dhawkins541
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Worked for me 5 mins ago with AT&T. It’s updating to iOS 11.1 now.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    bluefire1 said:
    Not possible. iOS 6 won't even run on Bionic chip. iOS 6 is the old skeuomorphic OS.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I had the same problems but just clicked on Retry a few times and I was activated. Love my new iPhone X and learning a lot of new stuff. 
    I wish more apps would be updated for FaceID. 
  • Reply 10 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    bluefire1 said:
    Did you recently switch to Pixel knockoffs and trying to stir sh**?

Does Apple even have iOS 6 available somewhere?

Even iOS 10 would have been more believable. 
    mike1gregg thurmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Anniversary nostalgia.

Reminds me of the stories about AT&T experiencung overload from the first iPhone users. 
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    bluefire1 said:
    They may have told you that, but even if they're correct there is precisely zero chance of that actually being anything more than a database aberration. It wouldn't even get this far, as iOS 6 is 32-bit, and the Bionic has no runtime for 32-bit at all.
    Not to mention the fact that FaceID wouldn't work, so there's no way you could even get started using the phone.
    mike1gregg thurmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member
    bluefire1 said:
    Better than coming with no OS at all (looking at you, Google).
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Well, there is at least one real issue with versions of the iOS.

i upgraded to iOS 11.1, the latest version, then backed up my iPhone 7 Plus, which I was upgrading from, to iTunes. The iphoneX ships with a previous iOS 11 version and restore from iTunes detected incompatibility between the iPhoneX iOS and the iTunes backup. The iPhoneX had to updated to 11.1 before the recovery could run. 

Ps: be sure to unpair your Apple Watch before upgrading. The Apple Store people forgot to tell me that, and I wasted time having to reset then restore the Apple Watch in order to pair the watch to iPhoneX. 

JFC_PA
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Carriers getting slammed, servers over loaded?  Gee, I thought nobody would buy a $1000 smartphone.

I'm guessing the iPhone X is smarter than WS analysts.
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I've upgrade every year, never had a problem activating.

AT&T activation failed because -- suddenly -- my billing zip code reverted to an address I lived at 4 YEARS ago.

Took awhile to diagnose that little gem! Thanks for the ass pain, AT&T.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Mine on Xfinity: 5 min. Boom!
  • Reply 18 of 25

Ps: be sure to unpair your Apple Watch before upgrading. The Apple Store people forgot to tell me that, and I wasted time having to reset then restore the Apple Watch in order to pair the watch to iPhoneX. 

Thanks for the reminder about unpairing my watch.  I just did that while iOS 11.1 is installing on my X.
    bluefire1JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    After Apple support took me through a number of steps to be sure that my OS was 11.1, everything progressed fine after that. One last glitch was that backup didn’t work, but I went to an Apple store and it finally loaded. I’m guessing you guys were100% right that it was more of a carrier system overload, and probably Apple overload as well.
    This stunning new phone was well worth dealing with the earlier issues.  I has the Apple guy put on the Belkin screen protector and also purchased  Apple’s silicon case and Applecare ( anyone who owns an iPhone X and doesn’t buy AppleCare is making a huge mistake). Love this phone!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Not good for Apple if their phone can’t even connect to the carrier to activate. I’m waiting for pundits and tech media to spin this into turd... wait... for.... it...
    watto_cobra