Apple says some 2018 iPad Pro units ship with bent chassis, not considered a defect

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    No bent on my 12.9". Are we being paranoid again? Not sure why when it comes to Apple, a 1% occurance is always treated as 100%.
    andrewj5790
  • Reply 22 of 87
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Got an iPad that was bent out of the box?  Return it and move on with your life.  Why people raise such a stink about it is beyond me. Apple manufactures a gazillion of these units and it is impossible that every one of them is perfect right out of the box.  There are going to be defects.

Just the typical whiners, trolls, and crybabies that have to chime in with their Apple-hating nonsense.

I'm not giving Apple a free pass, nor any other company.  However, Apple does back up their products and if one pays a premium for their products, it better be perfect.
    pscooter63macplusplusandrewj5790
  • Reply 23 of 87
    I just bought a 12.9” iPad Pro today. Guess I’d better check it...

FWIW, this is holiday period so the typical 14-day return period doesn’t start until Christmas. That gives people a little leeway, for now.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    saltyzip said:
    It's clear these devices are easy to bend and now even more worrying they are bending during manufacturing too.

Apple are cutting corners in an attempt  to sustain their profits, it's a sad indictment of shareholder greed.
    Don't blame the shareholders...we don't manufacture the product, price it, or sell it. We don't write the PR releases or defend Apple's mistake (of which there are many). What we do is invest in the company because it represents good value. It has nothing to do with greed, unless you think that taking a risk that you can lose your money on the chance that you will perhaps make money is greed. And by the way, that investment in Apple is what has made possible your ability to buy its products. If you don't like them, don't buy them, but learn something about stock investment before you make a stupid claim about greed.
    pscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 87
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    ronn said:
    Just checked the newish iPad Pro. No bends. But it's mostly in a case. A bit paranoid now.  :#

Steve Jobs wouldn't tolerate this? The same Steve Jobs that told iPhone customers with reception issues that they were "holding it wrong?" That Steve Jobs?  ;)
    There was nothing wrong with the iPhone 4’s reception, it was a total beat up.  Apple sold tens of millions of them that worked for years.

Bent iPad pros out of the box, for which you pay a substantial price for, is totally unacceptable and a demonstration of the recent absolute pursuit of form to the detriment of function. There needs to be balance. How did Jobs put it? Oh, yes, the intersection of engineering and liberal arts. This is example number eleventy that Apple has veered too far down the arty farty road and the engineers are  being treated with little regard. It’s a dead end eventually.
    williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 26 of 87
    WTF - Apple, this is not what I signed up for
    muthuk_vanalingamboredumbwilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Several years ago I bought the 3rd version of the iPad from the online Apple Store. Out of the box it had some adhesive residue on the back. I didn’t want to take the chance of using anything more than a water damped cloth to get it off and so I couldn’t get it off. It probably wouldn’t have bothered me if it was some other brand but Apple is supposed to care about getting everything right. I called the Apple Store and they connected me with Apple Care even though I did not pay extra for Apple Care. Apparently Apple Care was also in charge of dealing with regular warranty issues. The guy kept telling me that the defect was not possible because no adhesive was used in production. He wanted me to take pictures and kept asking questions and sent out packing to me so I could send it back for repair. During this process a customer service rep at the Apple Store (in contrast to Apple Care) told me I could just send it back for a full refund instead of hassle of dealing with Apple Care which is what I ended up doing.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Time to use some more of that expensive 7000 Series Aluminium methinks.
    elijahg
  • Reply 29 of 87
    sflocal said:
    Got an iPad that was bent out of the box?  Return it and move on with your life.  Why people raise such a stink about it is beyond me. Apple manufactures a gazillion of these units and it is impossible that every one of them is perfect right out of the box.  There are going to be defects.

Just the typical whiners, trolls, and crybabies that have to chime in with their Apple-hating nonsense.

I'm not giving Apple a free pass, nor any other company.  However, Apple does back up their products and if one pays a premium for their products, it better be perfect.
    I thought the point of the article was that Apple doesn’t consider it a defect.
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 30 of 87

Under Steve we had the following less-than-polished products.

MobileMe iPod shuffle that died from sweat Many NVIDIA MBPro recalls IPod socks IPod Nano recalls IPhone 1G (no MMS, no App Store, etc) Plastic MacBook that cracked everywhere iMac G5 - Logic board would die IMac Core Duo - known display issues IPhone 3G - plastic would crack on the corners AppleTV 1st gen - would overheat ITunes Ping MobileMe IPhone antennagate iBook G3 (CPU separation issue)

Yeah, this iPad news is interesting to see, but let’s not forget this isn’t anything new to Apple.

muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 31 of 87
    It resembles the Santa’s sleigh. It’s a limited special edition released for Christmas. Enjoy!
  • Reply 32 of 87
    hentaiboy said:
    Time to use some more of that expensive 7000 Series Aluminium methinks.
    Apple uses the highest quality Reynold’s Wrap.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Since 1984, this is unacceptable - both as a Consumer , but also as a stockholder.  I don't care what the "reason" is, it is not acceptable - because someone noticed.  I would take mine back, but it is a little older and thicker - it does not bend.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 87
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    I think most Apple customers would agree just return it. Apple has a great reputation in customer service so USE IT!
    radarthekat
  • Reply 35 of 87
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Yeah!! …..Bent Chassis, out of the Box, is 100% COMPLETE FAIL !! My purchase would be immediately returned, within my 14-day, return window. and I am an AAPL stock holder.
    Is there an upgraded return policy for stock holders?  Oh wait..for STOCKHOLDERS!! Haha seriously?  

Stock or no stock if my new $800.00 device is bent out of the box or after a week of normal use, I would simply make an appointment at the Apple store and have it swapped out for a new device..period. I would only have an issue with Apple's handling if they would for some reason not honor returns of the problem devices because they are claiming no defect or something silly like that. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 87
    What are these guys smoking? 

And can I have some, seems to be strong.. :)
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 87

Whelp! Looks like I'll buy next year's model 'cause I can wait.

I'm sure they'll use a stronger alloy in the next model. This looks very similar to Bendgate. The difference, of course, is Apple saying "sure it's bent, but it won't affect performance. We're not doing jack shit about this till the next model".

• Reply 38 of 87
    sflocal said:

If this was Samsung or some other Apple competitior they would rightfully be getting shit here. There’s nothing normal about a product being bent out of the box or bending during use. IF it’s a very small number of units then Apple’s response shouldn’t be that it’s normal. The response should be if you have one that happens to be bent you can get a replacement no questions asked. I can only hope someone in Apple PR misspoke and the company doesn’t really believe slightly bent products are acceptable. They’re not, and certainly not at the prices Apple charges.
    boredumbmuthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 39 of 87
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    dunks said:
    Apple on Wednesday confirmed "some" 2018 iPad Pro models ship out to consumers with a slightly bent chassis, though the company says the deformation does not degrade performance and is not considered a defect. 
    Translation: The defect is widespread and would be too expensive for us to acknowledge, retool and replace affected units.

Alternative translation: Apple are first to market with a curved display tablet.

Apple Marketing translation: An iPad so powerful it bends the space-time continuum!
    I can only say this, there are two things one can do return it and get a refund or start a suit to create a stink. It’s a choice the buyer  has a choice. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 40 of 87
    I just read post pulled out my iPad Pro 10.5 LTE and like article reads, my iPad is slightly bent on the antenna line.

Lay it on a table opposite the bend and it rocks. Not sure how this can classified as not an issue - especially with time. Had it almost a month. 

Sucks! This is my first post. Was hoping it would be cheerful. 
    muthuk_vanalingam