The WSJ calling the iPhone XR a failure that 'can't sell' is ludicrously mistaken

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 78
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,132moderator
    DED is on a rampage! Someone attacks apple, and here he comes with his venomous anger to defend apple
    Haha!  And they deserve every bit of vitriol he directs their way.  
    magman1979racerhomie3brucemccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 78
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,132moderator
    woolie said:
    Everyone who disagrees with the apple fanatics are always called trolls...   I currently own 10 apple products & it is no surprise that apple is in deep trouble since their focus under Cook is profits & providing tv shows, cars which clearly demonstrates they have taken their off their core customers & products...  The XR & Mac Air are the latest examples of mediocrity...  I was looking forward to buying the updated Mac Air...   I took my 2015 MacBook to the apple store to compare it...  It turned out to be a total joke...  They picked the cheapest, most unpowered processor on the market, the display is flat awful & dull & apple had the audacity to raise the price $300...   They say it's display is 300 nits, but fail to tell you the computer doesn't actually display all 300 nit, but rather something far less...   It is great for email & surfing the web...     My iMac performance has been brought to its knees by the last few operating system updates...  Even after increasing my ram 60%, Excel software & other similar software struggles mightily to work...  I have 2 ipads & again after a few software updates apple killed my oldest one & it barely works, it is now been regulated to be a book reader only...  My suggestion for any one buying any apple product is for them to review the internal specs on everymac.com to see if the update is spending thousands of dollars for a tiny incremental update...  Buyer beware!!!   What you will see is that year after year apple actual hardware updates, though highly hyped are actually very minimal as a rule...  Do I trust apple, not anymore, they overhype & overprice...  Due to all my sluggish software performance (apple calendar gives me the spinning ball several times a week, iPhoto crashes several times an hour) I have decided to give apple one more try...  I purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro 13", 16gig, i5, 500, 4 core, 500 nits screen, laptop last week & it arrived today...  This is my 4th apple laptop, if its performance fails, I am getting off apple train...  OK apple fanboys, call me a troll, all others, apple buyers beware, do your research to find the rare apple gems...

    Ellipses are cool.  

    By the way, leading by referring to people as fanatics is probably not the way to win friends or influence opinion.  You could have just made your points without that intro.
    magman1979brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 78
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,132moderator
    sacto joe said:

    Actually, although the writer clearly doesn't understand her subject matter, I'm glad to see these stories:
    They help take Apple down off its pedestal so that they get back to focusing on creating great products that make people's lives better -- instead of always striving for a mark to be always growing, always climbing and always better than any competitor -- regardless of who the competitor is or what they do.

    That's a mountain built on pride that is a lot easier to climb than to stand on top of.
    Now they can get back to just making great products and services.
    Oh, please, George. Apple has ALWAYS focused "on creating great products that make people's lives better". If you don't know that, you don't know Apple.
    You need to reread my post.   What I said -- and what you said I said are quite different.

    The truth is:  they got trapped trying to meet expectations.  I neither said nor implied that they didn't make great products.   Just that the expectations created a distraction -- everything they did had to be bigger and better or it was a failure.   The expectations that were placed on them left them with no middle ground to work from.  Now that we know they're human, they can get back to the basics that they do so well.

    Hmm, bigger and better?  Apple has long been criticized for making their phones slimmer, with smaller batteries.  How is that bigger, or better (than phones with larger batteries, which some seem to equate to better, but I don’t, but then I kinda have an environmentalist/conservatist bent).  

     Sometimes I don’t understand the thinking of some posters.  They want this, they want that, and this and that are often in diametric opposition.  Like, you want Apple to just make great products, but complain that Apple has been focusing on being better than their competition.  Hmm.  
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 78
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,132moderator

    daye said:
    plantdude said:
    Why would anyone pay $749 or more for a phone? That is a ridiculous amount of money.
    Someone in Seattle asked this same question 12 years ago when iPhone just came out.


    Best!  Lol.  Made my day.
    magman1979racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 78
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 112member
    sacto joe said:

    plantdude said:
    Why would anyone pay $749 or more for a phone? That is a ridiculous amount of money.
    ...and yet another plebe makes his first post on Appleinsider....
    Although you’re probably right, not everyone cares to share their opinions on what you or Tim Cook ate for breakfast.  What evidence do you have?  I am an avid AppleInsider reader but haven’t posted in probably over a year. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,874administrator
    tbornot said:
    This probably should have been marked as an editorial.
    It is.


    dedgeckomagman1979dsdbeowulfschmidtracerhomie3GeorgeBMacbrucemcmacseekercornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 47 of 78
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,009member
    Often WSJ plays manipulative tool for Wall Street investors.Two words.. Boycott WSJ.
    magman1979racerhomie3radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 78
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,802member
    jdgaz said:
    Just wish there were an XR mini. Size of XS or smaller.
    Yeh, that was one of two things that stopped me from getting one for my grandson this past fall.   The Xr is bigger than his pockets.
    Yep, I think they would get a lot of sales that would make up a lot of their decline.  I expect it out in September .
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 78
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,802member
    I’m not sure who’s more defensive about Apple these days: Tim Cook or DED.
    I don’t know if the WSJ is correct with their Assessment of the XR , XS, and XSMax or if these surveys give an accurate insight to the market or are cow patties.   but it is easy to criticize these journalists when there will be no data released that would validate or refute the stories.

    I would be impressed if DED used his deep knowledge of IPhones and the smartphone market to say/predict how many phones Apple will sell in Q1 for what amount of revenue.   I’m predicting 65 Million phones for $52 Billion in IPhone Revenue plus $32 Billion all other.  Unfortunately I think the Q2 falloff will be worse.   It’s easy to be a backseat driver both in product development and journalism.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 78
    woolie said:
    Everyone who disagrees with the apple fanatics are always called trolls...   I currently own 10 apple products & it is no surprise that apple is in deep trouble since their focus under Cook is profits & providing tv shows, cars which clearly demonstrates they have taken their off their core customers & products...  The XR & Mac Air are the latest examples of mediocrity...  I was looking forward to buying the updated Mac Air...   I took my 2015 MacBook to the apple store to compare it...  It turned out to be a total joke...  They picked the cheapest, most unpowered processor on the market, the display is flat awful & dull & apple had the audacity to raise the price $300...   They say it's display is 300 nits, but fail to tell you the computer doesn't actually display all 300 nit, but rather something far less...   It is great for email & surfing the web...     My iMac performance has been brought to its knees by the last few operating system updates...  Even after increasing my ram 60%, Excel software & other similar software struggles mightily to work...  I have 2 ipads & again after a few software updates apple killed my oldest one & it barely works, it is now been regulated to be a book reader only...  My suggestion for any one buying any apple product is for them to review the internal specs on everymac.com to see if the update is spending thousands of dollars for a tiny incremental update...  Buyer beware!!!   What you will see is that year after year apple actual hardware updates, though highly hyped are actually very minimal as a rule...  Do I trust apple, not anymore, they overhype & overprice...  Due to all my sluggish software performance (apple calendar gives me the spinning ball several times a week, iPhoto crashes several times an hour) I have decided to give apple one more try...  I purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro 13", 16gig, i5, 500, 4 core, 500 nits screen, laptop last week & it arrived today...  This is my 4th apple laptop, if its performance fails, I am getting off apple train...  OK apple fanboys, call me a troll, all others, apple buyers beware, do your research to find the rare apple gems...

    I would have to say is go back to school and learn how to write. Then maybe your writing and spelling will be taken more seriously.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 78
    tbornottbornot Posts: 107member
    Looks like ANOTHER 10% production cut for iPhones today.  Rut roh Raggy!
    cornchip
  • Reply 52 of 78
    tbornot said:
    Looks like ANOTHER 10% production cut for iPhones today.  Rut roh Raggy!
    Maybe you’re new here. 

    A long history of “ production cut!!” stories have not told us anything about supply or demand for iPhones in any region or globally. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 78
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,156member
    woolie said:
    Everyone who disagrees with the apple fanatics are always called trolls...   I currently own 10 apple products & it is no surprise that apple is in deep trouble since their focus under Cook is profits & providing tv shows, cars which clearly demonstrates they have taken their off their core customers & products...  The XR & Mac Air are the latest examples of mediocrity...  I was looking forward to buying the updated Mac Air...   I took my 2015 MacBook to the apple store to compare it...  It turned out to be a total joke...  They picked the cheapest, most unpowered processor on the market, the display is flat awful & dull & apple had the audacity to raise the price $300...   They say it's display is 300 nits, but fail to tell you the computer doesn't actually display all 300 nit, but rather something far less...   It is great for email & surfing the web...     My iMac performance has been brought to its knees by the last few operating system updates...  Even after increasing my ram 60%, Excel software & other similar software struggles mightily to work...  I have 2 ipads & again after a few software updates apple killed my oldest one & it barely works, it is now been regulated to be a book reader only...  My suggestion for any one buying any apple product is for them to review the internal specs on everymac.com to see if the update is spending thousands of dollars for a tiny incremental update...  Buyer beware!!!   What you will see is that year after year apple actual hardware updates, though highly hyped are actually very minimal as a rule...  Do I trust apple, not anymore, they overhype & overprice...  Due to all my sluggish software performance (apple calendar gives me the spinning ball several times a week, iPhoto crashes several times an hour) I have decided to give apple one more try...  I purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro 13", 16gig, i5, 500, 4 core, 500 nits screen, laptop last week & it arrived today...  This is my 4th apple laptop, if its performance fails, I am getting off apple train...  OK apple fanboys, call me a troll, all others, apple buyers beware, do your research to find the rare apple gems...

    I suggest you upgrade your older Macs with SSDs rather than increase RAM. I have a 2008 Unibody MacBook,with SSD & it runs fine & smooth, with only 3GB of ram. As for your iPads ,I suggest you wipe the old ones and set them up as new. I did this with our old iPad 2 & now it works great.
    GeorgeBMaccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 5,138member
    sacto joe said:

    Actually, although the writer clearly doesn't understand her subject matter, I'm glad to see these stories:
    They help take Apple down off its pedestal so that they get back to focusing on creating great products that make people's lives better -- instead of always striving for a mark to be always growing, always climbing and always better than any competitor -- regardless of who the competitor is or what they do.

    That's a mountain built on pride that is a lot easier to climb than to stand on top of.
    Now they can get back to just making great products and services.
    Oh, please, George. Apple has ALWAYS focused "on creating great products that make people's lives better". If you don't know that, you don't know Apple.
    You need to reread my post.   What I said -- and what you said I said are quite different.

    The truth is:  they got trapped trying to meet expectations.  I neither said nor implied that they didn't make great products.   Just that the expectations created a distraction -- everything they did had to be bigger and better or it was a failure.   The expectations that were placed on them left them with no middle ground to work from.  Now that we know they're human, they can get back to the basics that they do so well.

    Hmm, bigger and better?  Apple has long been criticized for making their phones slimmer, with smaller batteries.  How is that bigger, or better (than phones with larger batteries, which some seem to equate to better, but I don’t, but then I kinda have an environmentalist/conservatist bent).  

     Sometimes I don’t understand the thinking of some posters.  They want this, they want that, and this and that are often in diametric opposition.  Like, you want Apple to just make great products, but complain that Apple has been focusing on being better than their competition.  Hmm.  
    No, you didn't understand.   "Bigger & better" is a phrase, similar to "new & improved".  You took "bigger" in the literal sense and got stuck -- which caused you miss the point:  "Expectations" placed on them of "bigger & better", "new and improved" and, well, perfection -- where only something truly exceptional could meet the expectations -- year after year after year.  So, I'll repeat:

    The expectations that were placed on them left them with no middle ground to work from.  If it wasn't exceptional it was a failure.  Now that we know they're human, they can get back to the basics that they do so well.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,540member
    I’m not sure who’s more defensive about Apple these days: Tim Cook or DED.
    You whine when Apple doesn't say anything to the media, and then whine that Cook is defensive when he comes out to talk up the optimism he has about Apple.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 78
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,540member
    tbornot said:
    This probably should have been marked as an editorial.
    It is.


    It would seem that most trolls can't read and have a difficult time writing.  Yet believe their opinions should be taken very seriously...
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,105member
    brucemc said:
    tbornot said:
    This probably should have been marked as an editorial.
    It is.


    It would seem that most trolls can't read and have a difficult time writing.  Yet believe their opinions should be taken very seriously...
    Even the smartest Apple fans sometimes miss that. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 78
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,563member
    sacto joe said:

    Actually, although the writer clearly doesn't understand her subject matter, I'm glad to see these stories:
    They help take Apple down off its pedestal so that they get back to focusing on creating great products that make people's lives better -- instead of always striving for a mark to be always growing, always climbing and always better than any competitor -- regardless of who the competitor is or what they do.

    That's a mountain built on pride that is a lot easier to climb than to stand on top of.
    Now they can get back to just making great products and services.
    Oh, please, George. Apple has ALWAYS focused "on creating great products that make people's lives better". If you don't know that, you don't know Apple.
    Exactly. The notion that they don’t is absurd. The notion that they need negative press to take them off their pedestal is likewise absurd as the press has always been negative to Apple. 
    cornchipradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 78
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,563member

    r1sko said:
    plantdude said:
    Why would anyone pay $749 or more for a phone? That is a ridiculous amount of money.
    Since you asked......there’s no reason why anyone would pay $749 for a phone, but probably a few good reasons why anyone would pay $749 for a smartphone.
    Indeed. I got my SO one for a birthday present, it’s a great device that serves so many use cases — phone, camera, cam corder, web browser, email, GPS, home automation controller, etc etc... Anyone who calls these phones has an extra hole in their head letting all the hot air out. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 78
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,563member

    Two one-post trolls only minutes apart? Is that a record?
    Not even close.
    The 1-post troll accounts are becoming legion. Sure do miss the old AI policy of not letting a brand new account post. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.