Screenshots show iOS 13's Dark Mode, new Reminders app

Posted:
in iOS
Backing recent reports, new screenshots are claimed to show iOS 13's rumored and long-demanded Dark Mode, as well as a redesigned Reminders app.

iOS 13 Dark Mode

Switching on Dark Mode makes docks and tab bars darker, and switches some app backgrounds from white to black, the shots indicate. A representative example is Music, shown with an all-black background on the Radio tab.

The option can reportedly be enabled through the Settings app or Control Center. Dark Mode has been a long-standing request from iOS users, initially to reduce eyestrain at night, or just for aesthetic purposes. Since the launch of the iPhone X the feature has taken on more significance, since OLED screens can save power and boost contrast by shutting off all-black pixels.

The screenshots were shared by an unspecified leak source for 9to5Mac.

An image of the new Reminders app on the iPad depicts a large sidebar, and separate inboxes for items marked "Today," "Scheduled," and "Flagged." It's also easier to add and search for lists.

iOS 13 Reminders

Also revealed in the latest leak is that Apple's merger of Find My Friends and Find My iPhone is tentatively named "Find My." On iPads a map fills the screen, with just a small corner window containing tabs for switching between friend and device lists. Though no screenshot was shared beyond an icon, the map is said to look identical to Apple Maps for macOS with Mojave's Dark Mode turned on.

iOS 13 Find My

iOS 13 should launch this fall, but premiere at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose alongside the next major versions of macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. Other iOS 13 upgrades should include new health features, and updates to Screen Time, iMessage, and Apple Books.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Si, please!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    1. Very glad that it is OLED black. Wonder what it will look like on LCD.

2. Will they please please start showing Reminders on the Calendar. Then I can finally ditch Fantastical.
    Solitoysandmedewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Maybe like this?  iPhone 7 Plus.  Facebook Messenger’s Dark Mode.  Looks great to me.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    royboy said:
    Maybe like this?  iPhone 7 Plus.  Facebook Messenger’s Dark Mode.  Looks great to me.
    I might be the only person in the world who isn’t a fan of Dark Mode hysteria. To my eyes, the white with black type is much easier to read than black with white type. Maybe it’s how my brain’s been programmed over the last 30+ years, but I much prefer the lighter themes. For example, the light theme Microsoft just introduced in Win10 is beautiful, in my opinion.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    techsavytechsavy Posts: 34member
    Im glad that apple is reintroducing the theme back into their OS. The more options for a consumer to customize their phone to their preference. 
    caladaniandewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    AF_Hitt said:
    royboy said:
    I might be the only person in the world who isn’t a fan of Dark Mode hysteria. To my eyes, the white with black type is much easier to read than black with white type. Maybe it’s how my brain’s been programmed over the last 30+ years, but I much prefer the lighter themes. For example, the light theme Microsoft just introduced in Win10 is beautiful, in my opinion.
    Hysteria?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Nice if the appleinsider app also would go dark. ;)
    edited May 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member

2. Will they please please start showing Reminders on the Calendar. Then I can finally ditch Fantastical.
    Try Calendars 5. Great app. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 15
    toysandme said:

Try Calendars 5. Great app. 
    I don't want a 3rd party app for Calendar/Reminders. Too low level. I expect the device to handle it natively, for the best possible features and reliability, and no-effort syncing between iOS and macOS. No 3rd party app has been able to provide what Apple can. Part of that may be Apple's doing, but it is for good reason.
    lollivercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Can the new Reminders app add pictures of items to shop and smart enough to show me the prices prices of where I usually go and suggest me where they are cheapest or the end day of promotion period? Not to mention it will reorganise them in a logical route to save you time to pickup inside a supermarket. For items purchased will the app fill up warranty period and remind you to check before expiry?

Can I set a multiple reminder, 3 times a day, to remind me to take the right medicine, or I still need to set 3 different reminders for breakfast, lunch, and dinner separately?

can I set a reminder at the end time of an event?  Or, can I say, “hey Siri, I’m leaving home.” Then Siri will remind me to bring my insulin pen, check closure of windows and door, automatically turn off lights and heaters 2 minutes after I lock the door and drive away?

Or, the Reminders app just give a cosmetic facelift?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    So if these are legit screenshots, why is the titlebar digital time different from the analogue time on the clock app icon?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    jcs2305 said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    royboy said:
    Hysteria?
    Is giving users a choice and some personalized control over visual preferences a hysterical thing? Call me crazy, but I think it sounds like a long needed step in the right direction by Apple. You are obviously pleased by Microsoft's decision to allow you to choose light themes in Windows 10. Why deny those who prefer dark themes the same choice?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 493member
    It goes a long way toward reducing the awkward appearance of the notch.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    So if these are legit screenshots, why is the titlebar digital time different from the analogue time on the clock app icon?
    Well spotted.

either way, reminders could do with an overhaul. Hopefully also fix its somewhat spotty reliability (for me).
    watto_cobra