Apple updates 13-inch MacBook Pro, adding Touch Bar to entire range

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple has just updated the 13-inch MacBook Pro, bringing Touch Bar, Touch ID, T2 and True Tone to all MacBook Pro models.

New MacBook Pro
New MacBook Pro

Apple has quietly updated the MacBook Pro range with a new speed-bumped 13-inch MacBook Pro model that brings Touch Bar to the whole range. The new small-size laptop also features the usual T2 security, Touch ID and True Tone.

Promoted as being part of this year's Back to School scheme, Apple says that the new entry-level MacBook Pro adds an eighth generation Intel quad core processor, which it says runs at up to twice as fast as the previous edition.

The models already had a Retina display, but now gain True Tone across the board.

Pricing remains the same at $1,299 for the entry model, but as part of the promotion there is a student discount which cuts that to $1,199. Students also receive Beats headphones, and further discounts on unspecified accessories and services.

The new models replace the lower-end of the MacBook Pro range, leaving the previous 2.4GHz versions intact.

The $1,299 entry-level model now comes with 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory and 128GB SSD storage. The next model, a $1,499 edition, is the same but with 256GB SSD storage.

The release of a revamped MacBook Pro comes as reports begin of a 16-inch model going into production for a Fall release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    I was hoping for a Touch Bar free variant with the corresponding price reduction (including the 15" model).
    ElCapitanelijahgcurtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 62
    wreighvenwreighven Posts: 70member
    Those are CRAZY good deals.
    h4y3srandominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 62
    McJobsMcJobs Posts: 29member
    A premium Pro laptop with 128GB of soldered storage is a joke in 2019.
    RayerindiekidukElCapitanelijahgpeteoSpamSandwichmacseekerAI_liascurtis hannah
  • Reply 4 of 62
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Looks like the Touch Bar is here to stay. Also these have the butterfly keyboards so it’s possible Apple isn’t ditching butterfly and the rumors of a new keyboard are for the rumored new 16” model. That could end up being an uber-pro machine, the laptop equivalent of a Mac Pro.
    tmayelijahgcaladaniandoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 62
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    I personally have yet to meet anyone who likes the touchbar..
    HPDKElCapitanelijahglogic2.6chemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 62
    HPDKHPDK Posts: 7member
    And the keyboard? Still the cheap flimsy butterfly kind?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ziadjk said:
    We haven't met.  Hi, I love mine.   I would love a standalone keyboard for my Mac Pro that incorporated one.  Once you get used to it the old keyboards feel ... mmm. what's the term I am looking for ...   well do you use floppies, SCSI, Optical drives a dial up modem? 
    SolicaladanianchasmchiamacplusplusAppleExposedStrangeDayscornchipfastasleepFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 62
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    Also only 8GB RAM standard. 240€ to bump it to 16GB. That is supremely disappointing.

elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

McJobs said:
    I have to agree there.  Even with a very spartan set up with a lot of use of cloud based storage once you add a few apps and especially if you have a large iPhotos collection on the cloud despite optimization, 256 GB seems the more comfortable minimum.
    elijahgcaladanianAI_liasktappedoozydozenchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 62
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    Rayer said:
    McJobs said:
    Completely agree. Either have a flush SD card option or have the base storage be at least 256GB. My base 13" 2013 Macbook Air has 128GB of storage. It is sad that in 6 years time, we haven't gone to at least 256GB.
    They want you to subscribe to iCloud to use the optimise storage feature offloads old unused files meaning you can get away with a smaller SSD, probably not 128GB small though.

1.4Ghz on a Pro is a joke too
    edited July 2019 elijahg
  • Reply 11 of 62
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Looks like the Touch Bar is here to stay. Also these have the butterfly keyboards so it’s possible Apple isn’t ditching butterfly and the rumors of a new keyboard are for the rumored new 16” model. That could end up being an uber-pro machine, the laptop equivalent of a Mac Pro.
    Agree on the rumored 16” to 16.5” model. $3500 entry price, maybe $4000. In return, you get 45W Xeons and 128 GB ECC memory support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 62
    All I want is a redesigned, updated iMac with thin bezel and the T2 chip. Apple is still holding out on that update. 7 years will the same old design.
    AppleExposeddoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 62
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    One suggestion is have at least 3 TB USB ports(2 on left, one on right) for Macbook Air and cheaper Pro models. Base storage on Air and Pro must start at 256GB and for students, starting price for Air $1149 and 13" Pro $1299. And where is WiFi 6 ?
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 14 of 62
    I hope Apple will change entry level storage soon. Due to budget hard ceiling, I’ve fallen on the trap of keeping with 128 GB, which is hardly “enough” storage nowadays.

My iCloud Photo Library is just shy of 50 GB, and I have less than a handful of multi gigabytes applications I need to run on a daily basis. That leaves me with a 20–30 GB free space that I constantly have to manage. And that is only true because, currently, I’m not a gamer, or that free space left would be blown out of the water (along with a lack of virtual memory, and the kernel panics associated with such).

Just to point out, most (if not all) new iOS devices comes with, at least, half of that (64 GB). Given that most of what we keep in our iOS devices is mirrored in the Mac. That leaves little storage left for our macOS heavy lifting applications.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    ziadjk said:
    I like mine.
    caladanianchiaAppleExposedJWSCdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 62
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    McJobs said:

They shoud be blasted for this just like them selling 16gb iPhones in 2017
    edited July 2019 caladanianlogic2.6
  • Reply 17 of 62
    jagnutjagnut Posts: 24member
    ziadjk said:
    Well, you have now met one, I absolutely love it on my MacBook Pro.  
    caladanianchiaAppleExposedJWSCdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 62
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    avon b7 said:
    Also only 8GB RAM standard. 240€ to bump it to 16GB. That is supremely disappointing.

That is reason I buy second hand only. Price is set by demand then.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    HPDK said:
    And the keyboard? Still the cheap flimsy butterfly kind?
    That’s the big question for me - a top of the line computer with a crap keyboard is a no-go.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,297member
    MacPro said:
    ziadjk said:
    We haven't met.  Hi, I love mine.   I would love a standalone keyboard for my Mac Pro that incorporated one.  Once you get used to it the old keyboards feel ... mmm. what's the term I am looking for ...   well do you use floppies, SCSI, Optical drives a dial up modem? 
    What specific software do you use that takes special advantage of it?