Apple reduces price of accessories not included in iPhone 12 box

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Guys, I created the petition, again. In my opinion, they should make the power adapter as opt-in option.
    Hope to have the same luck as we had with flexgate issue.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    alex.p said:
    Guys, I created the petition, again. In my opinion, they should make the power adapter as opt-in option.
    Hope to have the same luck as we had with flexgate issue.
    A petition.  Wow, you're right there on the ramparts aren't you.  I'm pretty sure people spending $700 on a phone have plenty of chargers and cables already.
    ronnGG1EsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    seankill said:
    Effectively Apple increased the price of a complete new iPhone by $19. Don't think they are doing you any favors. Sure I have bricks but they are all just 5W.......

Plus, those old chargers only accept an older USB-A cable -- so they are completely obsolete.   Apple should have been replacing them way, way back when they released the iPhone 8!

Many customers will be shocked to open the box when find that not only is there no new charger to go with the upgraded, fast charging phone, but the cable Apple so kindly "gave them" won't work without them spending an extra $19 on a new charger.

Many, maybe most customers will rightly consider that a "shake down" by a company they had always before been able to trust.
    If any customer comes home with a new phone and is surprised that they don’t have the charger or cable they need, then the store that sold it to them didn’t do their job properly! The seller has to know what is in the box, what is needed to use the product, and ask the customer if they have everything they need.

Personally I welcome this change, and would have gladly accepted it even without the price change, for exactly the reasons Apple gave.
    ronnfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 54
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I have lots of iPhones and iPads. What I don't have is even a single USB-C charger.

Apple makes a strong case for the environment, but their argument that people have dozens of chargers lying around falls flat when this will be the first iPhone with a USB-C charging cable.
    The other 5W bricks or iPad 10-12W chargers that people may have don't stop working? It just won't provide the same fast charging that an 18w or above USB-C charger does. It's also not the first with USB-C to lightning cable provided with an iPhone either. Last year iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max came with a lightning to USB-C cable and 18w USB-C charger. It's the first non pro model to come with a USB-C to lightning cable, but not the first iPhone.

I have commented before that I respect the E waste reduction aspect of this whole thing, but what about new customers? If someone is coming from an older Android device they have been using micro USB to charge. So if they decide to pull the trigger on a new iPhone you will also need to spring for a charger?  I also thought Apple wasn't too keen on using just any off the shelf charging cables and accessories? Which was the reason for the MFI program?

• Reply 25 of 54
    Ofer said:
    I have a bunch of USB-A charging bricks. I have zero USB-C charging bricks. 
    You can buy a lighthing to usb cable for 6 bucks, I guess. Oh wait, you might have tons of them already.
    ronnEsquireCatsfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    seankill said:
    Effectively Apple increased the price of a complete new iPhone by $19. Don't think they are doing you any favors. Sure I have bricks but they are all just 5W.......

Plus, those old chargers only accept an older USB-A cable -- so they are completely obsolete.   Apple should have been replacing them way, way back when they released the iPhone 8!

Many customers will be shocked to open the box when find that not only is there no new charger to go with the upgraded, fast charging phone, but the cable Apple so kindly "gave them" won't work without them spending an extra $19 on a new charger.

Many, maybe most customers will rightly consider that a "shake down" by a company they had always before been able to trust.
    Any older lightning cable and charger will work with this year's iPhones. So existing customers won't need to buy anything actually.  People will be more pissed that the USB-C cable doesn't fit their old charging bricks. Go to Amazon and look at the comments for the Airpods pro.. People saw a USB-C to lightning cable in the box and thought that they couldn't charge their headphones and Apple ripped them off and was forcing them to buy a new charger! Not realizing that USB-A to lightning still works.. and wireless is also an option.

New customers will feel this change the most.. if they hadn't been using a USB-C charger previously.

ronn
  • Reply 27 of 54
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,648member
    fred1 said:
    The price reduction is nice and would be even better if it were enough to appease the people who want a price reduction for the iPhone 12es that don’t have these. 
    I hope the USB-C adaptor price is reduced for the European version too. That bad boy is expensive!
    I prefer to look at it as they were able to improve the phone with more expensive tech in the phone without raising the price even more.  

In the end, it's all about margins.   Making the iPhone boxes smaller and shipping 70% more per pallet will save Apple a LOT per quarter.  Moe than the savings of the cable and the brick combined, probably.  They will produce less headphones and chargers.   

As for that supplied cable being USB-C, and I have not a one USB-C charger or port in my tech (yet), my wife has a MBP and can use it.   But the USB cables are piling up as are the 5W bricks.    

I still have Firewire and dock cables from my iPods and pre-lightning iPhones!  The junk is piling up in my home!
    ronnrandominternetpersonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 54
    This is just a bunch of BS from Apple.  They are not saving the environment because they just announced a USB-C charger to go with the new phones, for an additional $19, after they increased the price of the most popular model by $130.  The USB-C cable doesn’t work with the older USB-A chargers, that everyone apparently loves to claim that people have hundreds of lying around.  When I sell my old phone, I include the charger, cable, and earphones so the new owner can use them with the phone.  It’s nice to get a new charger, cable, and earphones with a new phone purchase. Now Apple is going to make people buy them as accessories, not really saving the environment at all.  

Not to mention their deceptive and false advertising on pricing.  The mini and 12 are not $699 and $799.  The real prices are $729 and $829.  They intentionally left out carrier incentives from only two carriers, AT&T and Verizon, which is why Verizon got such a big plug during the presentation.  Pretty shady Apple.  They have never pulled this stunt before.  
    GeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Error in the article.  The iPhone 11 included a 5w charger.  Only the expensive Pro got the USB-C charger.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike1 said:
    seankill said:

How are they obsolete? The new phones still have Lightning connectors so all the USB A - Lightning cables will still work with whatever USB A chargers that are kicking around. I would agree with this being an issue if the phones now had USB C connectors.

They are obsolete because, ever since the iPhone 8, iPhones have had fast charge capability -- which those old 5W chargers cannot do.   It's like watering your garden while the hose has a kink in it.   You get a trickle but that's it.

Apple should have been shipping 20watt chargers for years now.   But, for some reason, never upgraded -- and now they're making you buy what they should have been shipping for the past 3 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 54
    seankill said:

If any customer comes home with a new phone and is surprised that they don’t have the charger or cable they need, then the store that sold it to them didn’t do their job properly! The seller has to know what is in the box, what is needed to use the product, and ask the customer if they have everything they need.

Personally I welcome this change, and would have gladly accepted it even without the price change, for exactly the reasons Apple gave.

You would think the manufacturer would know what was needed to make a phone work. 

You live in a dream world if you think a salesmen would endanger his sale by telling his customer that Apple got cheap and he'll have to buy a separate charger to charge his new $1,000 phone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 54
    jcs2305 said:
    seankill said:

Any older lightning cable and charger will work with this year's iPhones. So existing customers won't need to buy anything actually.  People will be more pissed that the USB-C cable doesn't fit their old charging bricks. Go to Amazon and look at the comments for the Airpods pro.. People saw a USB-C to lightning cable in the box and thought that they couldn't charge their headphones and Apple ripped them off and was forcing them to buy a new charger! Not realizing that USB-A to lightning still works.. and wireless is also an option.

New customers will feel this change the most.. if they hadn't been using a USB-C charger previously.

So they are to keep using their old, obsolete 5W chargers -- which are so old they won't even connect to the cable Apple shipped with their phone?

K-Mart wouldn't have pulled a stunt like that.   

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 54
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    I never used Lightning EarPods so that is no loss for me and, like most others, I have tons of Apple chargers, particularly the 5W variants, that I have saved "just in case". I primarily use either Qi chargers or Anker multiport chargers instead with the USB-C that came with the 11Pro last year is the *only* Apple charger in daily use.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 54
    seankill said:
    So? They will still work. I use an Apple iPhone 6 charger to charge a Samsung Tablet using a USB-A to USB-C cable.
    Yes they are slower but we managed for over a decade didn't we?

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 54
    I use a 4-port charger and a cradle so I couldn’t care less. Still I can’t quite get my head around the fact the iPhone 12 is still offered with 64 GB of store at $699 before taxes even though they’ve done away with the accessories
  • Reply 36 of 54
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Yet the price reduction is completely absent when buying an iPhone. 
    It is the price increase that DID NOT happen that you don't see.
    I believe Apple are taking a margin hit on the Pro models (with mmWave components), as they kept the pricing the same as last year's models. I don't know the price difference between the Intel 4G modem/parts vs. Qualcomm 5G modem/parts, but mmWave adds more parts (RF filters, antennas) that are not yet sold in commodity quantities. So yeah, Apple absorbed that cost on the Pro models.
    techconcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54
    This is likely a good move. Like a lot of people I already have a lot of chargers and headphones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 54
    ronnronn Posts: 661member
    Given that many expected a price hike for iPhone 12, once you factor in $19 for a USB-C charger, it's a minimal charge. We have three USB-C chargers at home and probably will get at least one more with another purchase later this year. Most Apple users I know have at least one USB-C charger. Those that don't will buy one at the time of purchase or forego fast charging.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 54
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "Greedy Apple" up to their old tricks again reducing the price of accessories. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Beats said:
    "Greedy Apple" up to their old tricks again reducing the price of accessories. 

Somehow having to spend $19 to now have to buy something that always been included and that should have been included with the USB-C cable & $1,000 phone does not seem like a reduced price.  It sounds more like a screw job.