Great things to come from....APPLE, begin with this week,NAB.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

I've heard that version, too.

But would a Pig be happy in that? I know pigs like lots of stuff, but, sh*t?

I'd imagine that they wouldn't care all that much so long as it was moist. Isn't the deal that pigs can't sweat, and so they cover themselves in "whatever" to cool themselves down and protect their skin from the sun?

And to bring this back OT...how would one go about rendering that in one of these new apps?
  • Reply 102 of 122
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

=====================================

BOB == "Break Out Box" ???

Perhaps Avid is asking Apple for a custom Power Mac case to allow for the Avid board set and all of the video connections? Curently Avid uses an external box for all of the connections to the Meridian hardware. This is true for both Mac and PC based systems.

Avid at one time made their own system called an AMP. (Avid Media Processor) It was a large metal box that contained a PM 8100 motherboard, NuBus extension and had all of the connections directly on the back of the box. I used to use one of these things. The station I worked for liked it over previous Avid systems because they saw it as a big rackmounted piece of broadcast gear rather than a personal computer with a bunch of wires coming out of it. The AMP was just the same personal computer with all of the guts hidden.

======================================

I think this is the one APPLE is working on, except the other company is NOT AVID.

AJA, not AVID.

Quote:

NAB, Las Vegas, Nevada (April 6, 2003): AJA Video Systems Inc. raises the bar for professional post production with the introduction of Io, the first uncompressed audio/video FireWire capture device for Final Cut Pro 4. A high end, 8 or 10-bit broadcast video device, Io allows you to connect professional analog or digital audio/video to your Apple PowerPC G4 or PowerBook G4 through a simple FireWire interface. With its adherence to broadcast engineering specifications, Io lives up to the same high quality for which AJA?s other broadcast and post production solutions are known.

This innovative product is essentially the ultimate ?Break Out Box?. Io supports component and composite analog video, SDI digital video, balanced analog audio, AES/EBU digital audio, optical audio, RS-422 machine control, and genlock. Io has a unique form factor that is appropriate for professional post production facilities. Its sleek, silver box was designed to complement Apple?s Xserve and Xserve RAID in a rack, or sit conveniently on a desktop.

Who needs Io? Anybody needing to harness the power of uncompressed 10-bit video -- large or small post houses, corporate, industrial, government, edit boutiques, advertising agencies, local, regional, national, or international broadcasters, and news organizations. In short, anybody who does independent film or television work, from a desktop video workstation in someone?s home on up to the biggest post houses in the world. This is truly a versatile product whose time has come.

Io will be available in late Q2 and will work with Final Cut Pro 4. Io is made in the USA and carries a three-year, unconditional warranty, and will cost $2,290 U.S.

Press Release

Io

[edit] Although, on further inspection I see it's only using FW400.
  • Reply 103 of 122
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Kormac should be posting a reply anytime now. This is his break his wife gives him to play on the net.
  • Reply 104 of 122
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    A little 64 bit news. Here's an announcement from Digital Voodoo:

Digital Voodoo showcases Digital Voodoo

Digital Voodoo has introduced SD|Greed, an uncompressed 10-bit SDI 64-bit PCI card for Macintosh. SD|Greed has a single SD-SDI input and one SD-SDI output, 8 channels of AES/EBU digital audio, genlock as well as analog component input and outputs in NTSC or PAL. Digital Voodoo will be demonstrating SD|Greed at NAB, and it is expected to ship by SIGGRAPH 2003. SD|Greed is compatible with most popular editing and compositing applications including Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects and Photoshop. Pricing was not announced.
  • Reply 105 of 122
    where are you getting this pr at 12:00pm information?
  • Reply 106 of 122
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Good call 709 that is one hell of a box at that price. FW400 though? That's got to be pretty close to being maxed out. Theoretical limit is 50MB/sec but this box has to pumping at least 20MB/sec both ways. There is no way you will be able to capture to a FireWire drive as well...it'll have to be an internal raid. Informal tests have suggested that the max throughput via FW 400 is about 35MB/sec. Hmmm...I guess we'll have to wait for some reviews.

I'm hoping for a Panasonic box with built in DVPRO50 CODEC so that you can capture and playback from QT/FCP at a much more manageable 7MB/sec each way.
  • Reply 107 of 122
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    this is a re-post of a comment i made inthe software forum, but...

anyone notice that shake 3's minimum requirements include a desktop area of 1280x1024?

that means it supposedly won't work on lapzilla (aka the 17" powerbook) in its current configuration.

d'oh!
  • Reply 108 of 122
    OK well I suppose the Io is the much talked about Apple hardware product after all. Aja makes the thing but from what I can tell, the project was initiated, and directed, by Apple.

Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57 Good call 709 that is one hell of a box at that price. FW400 though? That's got to be pretty close to being maxed out. Theoretical limit is 50MB/sec but this box has to pumping at least 20MB/sec both ways. There is no way you will be able to capture to a FireWire drive as well...it'll have to be an internal raid. Informal tests have suggested that the max throughput via FW 400 is about 35MB/sec. Hmmm...I guess we'll have to wait for some reviews.

Yeah I'm tripping that all that is going through Firewire. Craziness. Jobs must has cracked the whip to get a super AltiVec-optimized codec and Audio Unit. I swear sometimes he just sits around and thinks up ways to make AltiVec more useful.

I don't think it's safe to capture to any FW drive with SD anyway. Too slow. Maybe FW 800 has changed this.

Quote:

I'm hoping for a Panasonic box with built in DVPRO50 CODEC so that you can capture and playback from QT/FCP at a much more manageable 7MB/sec each way.

Built in codec? You mean protocol? Yeh I'd love to have a DVPRO50 deck. Although I geuss you mean to use the DV50 codec for future A/D conversions? Interesting.
  • Reply 109 of 122
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

this is a re-post of a comment i made inthe software forum, but...

anyone notice that shake 3's minimum requirements include a desktop area of 1280x1024?

that means it supposedly won't work on lapzilla (aka the 17" powerbook) in its current configuration.

d'oh!

Hook up an external DVI flat panel... if one is spending $3200 on a PB, then they should be able to afford a $600 DVI flat panel.
  • Reply 110 of 122
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Hook up an external DVI flat panel... if one is spending $3200 on a PB, then they should be able to afford a $600 DVI flat panel.

That tends to defeat the point of using a laptop, though.

Ah well. I'm sure they didn't make that resolution requirement lightly, so if it can't be done it can't be done. Apple seems to be pushing the idea that a PowerMac should be the primary workstation in any case, so they're probably figuring that it's not too much of a loss. Especially not for something as compute intensive as compositing.
  • Reply 111 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Ah well. I'm sure they didn't make that resolution requirement lightly, so if it can't be done it can't be done. Apple seems to be pushing the idea that a PowerMac should be the primary workstation in any case, so they're probably figuring that it's not too much of a loss. Especially not for something as compute intensive as compositing.

Yeh Shake is definately not a portable product. We're not yet in an age where we see Hollywood film post compositing by a guy at Starbucks. Editing with FCP yes, but not Shake.

Quote:

Errr, not to mention the $5,000 Shake now retails for ($10,000 on non-Mac *NIX stations.)

If you really want to do film/video compositing on a portable compter, I'd suggest After Effects, and maybe CinePaint. Don't laugh, AE is actually starting to be used by some pretty major post houses for trailers and such. At least on a limited basis. Not the kind of thing they want to let their potential customers know about though.
  • Reply 112 of 122
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Now the time is coming!

Read this again!

• Reply 113 of 122
    Matsu's going to have an aneurysm. Clear the room, guys.
  • Reply 114 of 122
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Now the time is coming!

Read this again!

Hooooow abouuuuut...no.
  • Reply 115 of 122
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Good job K-Man and glad to see you back!

Thanks for the inside scoop!

• Reply 116 of 122
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Hooooow abouuuuut...no.

• Reply 117 of 122
    gnurfgnurf Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Yeh Shake is definately not a portable product. We're not yet in an age where we see Hollywood film post compositing by a guy at Starbucks. Editing with FCP yes, but not Shake.

Errr, not to mention the $5,000 Shake now retails for ($10,000 on non-Mac *NIX stations.)

If you really want to do film/video compositing on a portable compter, I'd suggest After Effects, and maybe CinePaint. Don't laugh, AE is actually starting to be used by some pretty major post houses for trailers and such. At least on a limited basis. Not the kind of thing they want to let their potential customers know about though.

1. Well, I ran Shake 2.1 to 2.3 on a bog-standard 450 MHz Pentium 3 for well over a year. We did all kinds of stuff that wasn't supposed to be done on such a cheap "workstation". No problem whatsoever running it on a Dell Inspiron 8200 (pc laptop, 1.7 GHz, yadayada), disk is slow, that's all. And since it's WAY faster than AfterFx at EVERYTHING, well...

2. You pay for speed and kick-ass tools.

3. And the thing about AfterFx being used for this, and that and whatnot. Of course! It's a tool, and pretty good. It's just not Shake. Shake is all about efficiency and an open workflow, while AfterFx is heavily tied to Adobe products and thinking. Did I mention slow? Cinepaint is just GIMP with a frame manager and 16-bit support. It's slow, but it beats Photoshop if you need 16-bit functionality. But then, there are other options.

I suggest you mail the people at Apple and ask if you can get a demo license for Shake and check it out. If you're used to AfterFx it will be a slight learning curve but the docs are extremely good and your rendering time will be cut in half, or more if you have a dual machine! Not to mention way easier farm rendering, if you ever use that. Precision and quality is also greatly improved if you come from the AfterFx side of the fence. You have to see it to believe it. Not to mention the great macro functionality. Superb keyers that actually get a pretty decent key on DV footage even. And plain-text project files (ties in nicely with scripting). Or just simply using the commandline for quick previews and tests. Can't be beat.

Shake IS the best thing since sliced bread if you're a comper. Shame about the high price for freelancers, but it's actually worth it. And it pays itself over time. Oh, and I still keep AfterFx around for some things. Most people do.

Rant over. \
  • Reply 118 of 122
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Now the time is coming!

Confirmed. By the way, what time do you mean?

Quote:

Read this again!

Done.
  • Reply 119 of 122
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Kormac mentioned clusters.
  • Reply 120 of 122
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

Kormac mentioned clusters.

Clusters have been mentioned a lot of times by a lot of people but I'd be surprised if most of them had any internal knowledge. It's worth noting Apple has made reference to realising the importance of clustering at several talks, going back as far as early 2002, aimed at scientists and engineers so they have hardly been discreet.