MacBidouille posts PPC 970 benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 401 of 665
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Preach on brotha!
  • Reply 402 of 665
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Just a quick note: As someone who doesn't speak French myself, I sincerely do appreciate it when someone tries to put up MacBidouille translations.

BUT ... after you do a translation from French to English, how about a translation from Gibberish English to something logical? When you read your translation outloud and it doesn't make sense, you know there's a little extra work left to do.

No offense intended by this post...seriously translators...keep up the effort. It's appreciated.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 403 of 665
    Trust Programmer to come along and always say something with intelligence and experience. 8)
  • Reply 404 of 665
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

Is this really the guy shareholders want leading the company at a time when its future is very much being shaped by current actions?

Absolutely!!
  • Reply 405 of 665
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Look what you started

Let me remind everyone that we don't actually know if Steve threw a phone.......(idle speculation)

Yes, please remind them so they don't become confused.

From Sherlock:

Quote:

tale (t?l), noun.

1.\tA recital of events or happenings; a report or revelation: told us a long tale of woe.

2.\tA malicious story, piece of gossip, or petty complaint.

3.\tA deliberate lie; a falsehood.

4.\tA narrative of real or imaginary events; a story.

5.\tArchaic. A tally or reckoning; a total.

[Middle English, from Old English talu. See del-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

• Reply 406 of 665
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    ?? more ibm powerPC outsourcing?

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...pages=02&seq=3

articale says for phones and gadgets
  • Reply 407 of 665
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 408 of 665
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    yes. i know. phones and gadgets.

kinda nice though that ibm can leverage the tech from a $200k powermachine down to a phone in some sense.

is it June 23rd yet?
  • Reply 409 of 665
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

BUT ... after you do a translation from French to English, how about a translation from Gibberish English to something logical? When you read your translation outloud and it doesn't make sense, you know there's a little extra work left to do.

Hey, what makes you think it makes sense in French?

GI,GO
  • Reply 410 of 665
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Here's a little something to get the ball rolling!

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...2871_tc056.htm

BusinessWeek reports that although Apple won't talk about it, IBM has confirmed that it's developing a new set of chips for the Mac.

While Motorola has struggled in chips, IBM has soared. Under CEO Sam Palmisano, Big Blue has poured money into chip research and upgraded its factories. IBM says the new Apple chip will be of the 64-bit variety, which means it can process twice as much information per cycle as existing 32-bit chips. That's not even counting an anticipated initial speed boost in the new chip's clock cycle to well over 1.8 Ghz per second -- and likely well beyond that over the course of the year. The new chip could also prove extremely valuable for specialized IBM workstations -- and a possible means for Big Blue to compete with archrival Sun Microsystems and it 64-bit architecture. For Apple, it means a quick injection of speed and power.

_
  • Reply 411 of 665
    Quote:

That's not even counting an anticipated initial speed boost in the new chip's clock cycle to well over 1.8 Ghz per second -- and likely well beyond that over the course of the year.

Sweet Jesus!
  • Reply 412 of 665
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

That's not even counting an anticipated initial speed boost in the new chip's clock cycle to well over 1.8 Ghz per second -- and likely well beyond that over the course of the year.

Damn. Oh Steves gonna be so pissed if this is true
  • Reply 413 of 665
    nmr guynmr guy Posts: 22member
    Quote:

1.8 Ghz per second

GHz per second????

Er...

Do people from Business Week bother to even think about what they've written?
  • Reply 414 of 665
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NMR Guy

GHz per second????

Er...

Do people from Business Week bother to even think about what they've written?

What, you don't like extraneous redundantly redundant statements?
  • Reply 415 of 665
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

What, you don't like extraneous redundantly redundant statements?

• Reply 416 of 665
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Although Apple (AAPL ) won't talk about it, IBM (IBM ) has confirmed that it's developing a new set of chips for the Mac.

I wonder if they mean *confirmed* in the AppleInsider meaning of the word, or confirmed as in really confirmed
  • Reply 417 of 665
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NMR Guy

GHz per second????

Whew. with that kind of acceleration... clock rate will exceed the number of molecules in the universe in less than a few minutes

The article was surprisingly well informed despite the units snafu. Its almost as if this guy is lurking at AI and 'those other boards'. He touches on pretty much all the critical issues for Apple/Mac-users. Clock speed, Quark's delay, Panther, dis-interest of pro-sumers in slow powermacs, graphics and advertising industry slumps, education market share, iTMS, Motorolla relations, possibilities of real-apple-servers...

This is the first Apple-overview article I've read in a while that hasn't annoyed me. Its an article that while not technically verbose, is still accurate and educational to the average reader.
  • Reply 418 of 665
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

The article was surprisingly well informed despite the units snafu. Its almost as if this guy is lurking at AI and 'those other boards'. He touches on pretty much all the critical issues for Apple/Mac-users. Clock speed, Quark's delay, Panther, dis-interest of pro-sumers in slow powermacs, graphics and advertising industry slumps, education market share, iTMS, Motorolla relations, possibilities of real-apple-servers...

Ah, no. I don't think you can qualify a writer who perpetuates the 64bit myth as "well informed".
  • Reply 419 of 665
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I find that that article mentions 64bit = twice as fast as 32bit is kind of funny
  • Reply 420 of 665
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Well... he says 'can process twice as much information per cycle'. Which is technically true, although I would agree with your assumption that he doesn't really knows what this means.

But I think we should cut him a little slack. The article is much better than the usual drivel printed in non-technical publications. I often find myself lambasting people for being ignorant about the computer and software industries. Unfortunately, if everyone does this, the world becomes an incredibly unpleasant place. I'm sure automotive engineers are annoyed by inaccuracies in Business Week's half-page articles on Honda. Similarly, I'm sure dieticians could make a dozen minor clarifications to articles on fast-food menus. Too critical an eye, and no publication will satisfy.

Given the social ineptness of many in the computer industry, its not surprising that we like to humiliate BW writers... its our chance to shine. A visit to the auto-shop is a good chance to get a taste of our own medicine. Just sound slightly uniformed about break-pad-wear and watch what happens. They will crush you with overly specific details that aren?t really of interest to the average car owner. (Oooo... that hit a bit close to home)