Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 281 of 770
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NShirkey

Okay, Help me out here. Earlier posts stated that the lower end 970's will not be any faster than the current high-end Mac at running 32 bit apps.

(snip)

What I've heard is that the 970s will be almost twice as fast as the G4s (when compared at the same MHz), and that is not because the 970s are 64 bit. It's because of the overall design (FSB, Floating Pt Units, Branch Prediction, Etc., the list goes on) . . . errr, so my sources say, but they're a bunch of blue meanies anyway (ahh, too much yellow submarine I guess)
  • Reply 282 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

May 31 1985, Jobs loses job

Despite the great fanfare surrounding the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984, the computer's sales fell far below expectations in its first year. Steve Jobs, cofounder of Apple and champion of the Macintosh, had become general manager of the Macintosh group. The board of directors, led by Apple's president John Sculley, blamed Jobs for the Mac's dismal performance.

A highly publicized feud broke out between the two, and on May 31, 1985, Sculley removed Jobs as head of the Macintosh unit. Although Jobs retained the title of chairman of the board, he held little real power. Several months later, Jobs resigned to start a new company, called Next. Ironically, Macintosh sales took off after Aldus introduced PageMaker in the summer of 1985, launching an entire industry of desktop publishers, all of whom relied on Macs to run their software.
  • Reply 283 of 770
    From ADC

Quote:

ADC TV Open to All ADC Members

WWDC 2002 Sessions are now available FREE to all ADC members via

QuickTime stream online. Log in to the ADC Member Site and choose

"View ADC TV". Now is a great time to review some of the materials

from last year's conference to prepare for 2003.

http://connect.apple.com

• Reply 284 of 770
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Think this includes the keynote, or will it be broadcasted anyway?
  • Reply 285 of 770
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 286 of 770
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    D'oh! Sorry
  • Reply 287 of 770

June 1 1890, Counting machines used in census

On June 1, 1890, some 45,000 census counters set out to count America's sixty million plus population. The census takers took along hole punches and recorded the results of their surveys by punching out designated spots on the card, like a train conductor punching a ticket. Later, those cards were counted by a tabulating machine invented by 29-year-old Herman Hollerith. In a test run, Hollerith's counting machine had proven dramatically faster than other proposed counting methods.

Hollerith founded the Tabulating Machine Company in 1896. Through a series of mergers and reorganizations, the company eventually became IBM.
  • Reply 288 of 770

June 2 1993, Apple suit dismissed

On June 2, 1993, a district court judge dismissed Apple's suit against Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard for stealing the "look and feel" of its Macintosh interface. Apple had sued the two companies in 1989 for copying its point-and-click interface.
  • Reply 289 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    NETRO must be very bored
  • Reply 290 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

NETRO must be very bored

NETRO, keep it up! I think your WWDC countdown is awesome!
  • Reply 291 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

NETRO must be very bored

Thank you for pointing that out Leonis At least nobody needs to do the math themselves Starting to move next week so I may not be able to do the contdown then. Hey, maybe you'll even miss me being here counting down

Today it's only three weeks left for Apple to do the finising touches to the preview release of panther. It will probably be the best os that Apple has ever released. At least that is my hope and wish. I hope they don't let us down. Apple is entering the 64 bit era with powerful new computers. Major steps for a small computer company, and I think this will gain a lot of attention from the press and other people. And just imagine the orders coming in from all over the world. This is going to be huge.
  • Reply 292 of 770
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Thank you for pointing that out Leonis At least nobody needs to do the math themselves Starting to move next week so I may not be able to do the contdown then. Hey, maybe you'll even miss me being here counting down

Who else will bump this thread?
  • Reply 293 of 770
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

... Starting to move next week so I may not be able to do the contdown then

when will you be back?
  • Reply 294 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

when will you be back?

Don't know. Have to move my DSL and stuff. That will probably take a while I guess. Maybe a week or so. Have to call my DSL provider soon. Hopefully I will be back online some time before the WWDC.
  • Reply 295 of 770
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Don't know. Have to move my DSL and stuff. That will probably take a while I guess. Maybe a week or so. Have to call my DSL provider soon. Hopefully I will be back online some time before the WWDC.

Heh you call yourself a MacFan ... Any self respecting fan would have postponed their move till **AFTER** the countdown was over.

The 'on this day' posts will be missed so hurry back.

Dave
  • Reply 296 of 770
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    so what are we going to see at WWDC??? things are boiling quite nicely at apple these days...

Panther (a given)

the PowerMac line needs an upgrade (likely chance of 970 PM coming at WWDC or right after)

but with price cuts to the PB line and bundle incentives with the iBook it seems we may also get laptop upgrades too (it is the year of the laptop ) so it seems likely we will get updated PB and maybe (much less chance) even updated iBooks

would apple really use WWDC to release all that??

that would seem insane, nice, but insane

WWDC--panther and PM to run panther....oh an one more thing is we will have an apple special event on July 4th weekend (and that is were all laptops are updated--new 15.4 and 12 and 17 PB and "surprise" new iBooks and updated iMacs too---every mac is now above 1 gig and all power line is 970....iMac and iBooks are either G4 or Gobi (if gobi gets altivec)...

it is fun to go insane before a show....when is the next macworld??

g
  • Reply 297 of 770
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

so what are we going to see at WWDC??? things are boiling quite nicely at apple these days...

there is certainly boiling something at intel on the 23rd of june.
  • Reply 298 of 770
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Curious timing, indeed. Mind you, expect them to be recalled six weeks later because of "heat issues."

Screed
  • Reply 299 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    On what grounds did the Judge dismiss the Apple case against M$/HP?

You can't copyright an idea...but only it's form. Was it deemed M$ had something that was sufficiently different in look and 'feel'? (Well, guess they did...heh...looked and felt like crap...heh...heh...)

Netro. You just gotta keep the updates coming...can't you log on via a mate's house?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 300 of 770
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

there is certainly boiling something at intel on the 23rd of june.

"It will cost $637 and will be Intel's top offering for months." Good night Intel.

In related news here comes the Clown Tree.