• Reply 341 of 770
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    he knows. believe me.

</cryptic>
  • Reply 342 of 770
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NewOrder

The 12" Powerbook and the 1.42 Power Mac are EOL. In fact Apple stopped making the 1.42 about a week ago. If you order a BTO they are basically taking a stock machine and making the changes you requested.

Where does that leave the rest of the current PowerMac line?
  • Reply 343 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

The 12" Powerbook and the 1.42 Power Mac are EOL. In fact Apple stopped making the 1.42 about a week ago. If you order a BTO they are basically taking a stock machine and making the changes you requested.

That further proves that the current 1.42Ghz G4s are the overclocked chips
  • Reply 344 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member

1977 Apple II released

On June 5, 1977, the Apple II personal computer went on sale. The machine, which sold for $1,298, was the first commercially successful personal computer. Developer Steve Wozniak had created the Apple I to impress his friends in the Homebrew Computer Club in the early 1970s. Wozniak's sidekick, Steve Jobs, urged his friend to create a computer they could sell, and the two started Apple Computer in Jobs' garage. The Apple II boasted a color screen and a built-in version of the BASIC computer language.
  • Reply 345 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I can offer further evidence of the 1.42's demise:

A local seller was told by Apple to not order any more of the 1.42s. They are EOL.

Dare one even type the word: confir----
  • Reply 346 of 770
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

I can offer further evidence of the 1.42's demise:

A local seller was told by Apple to not order any more of the 1.42s. They are EOL.

Dare one even type the word: confir----

Or it's just because of this.
  • Reply 347 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Or it's just because of this.

That rumored "technical update" would be invisible to consumers and resellers alike. EOL status would not be necessary for such a change.
  • Reply 348 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

That rumored "technical update" would be invisible to consumers and resellers alike. EOL status would not be necessary for such a change.

Since the updated model will have a new SKU, wouldn't the existing model get an EOL status?
  • Reply 349 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Since the updated model will have a new SKU, wouldn't the existing model get an EOL status?

Who says it will require a new SKU? From the TS article:

"Apple is set to finalize P58C in the next week or so, and will then quietly begin shipping the updated models to the retail channel."
  • Reply 350 of 770
    Quote:

Who says it will require a new SKU? From the TS article:

"Apple is set to finalize P58C in the next week or so, and will then quietly begin shipping the updated models to the retail channel."

From the same article:

"On the outside, P58C will probably be indistinguishable from the current Power Mac, aside from a new product number."
  • Reply 351 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

From the same article:

"On the outside, P58C will probably be indistinguishable from the current Power Mac, aside from a new product number."

Are product numbers and SKUs the same thing? Does it really matter? TS said this was to have gone into effect two weeks ago, so maybe the whole thing is bogus anyway.
  • Reply 352 of 770
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

i love you neworder...will you marry me??

neworder is always right....so what is replacing them...i see 970 PM and the 12" powerbook going with a new MB to stop it from being crippled...

g
  • Reply 353 of 770
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    That TS article has been gone over three or four times. Let it die people. Nick DePlume himself came on here and said it basically meant nothing.

I think he was just using it so he could put that little 970 teaser on the end.
  • Reply 354 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    The reseller I spoke with mentioned only the 1.42s, not the others. Surely a technical update would be across the board?
  • Reply 355 of 770
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

The reseller I spoke with mentioned only the 1.42s, not the others. Surely a technical update would be across the board?

Yes, I would think it would be across the board unless...maybe....Apple is thinking on releasing the 970 from the top down. Would that make sense? Start with the top end as a 1.4 GHz 970 and leave the others as G4 for a few more months. Then bring in the higher rated 970's over the next couple of months while they get rid of the old G4's and make a killing $$$$ charging a premium for the 1.4 GHz 970. If they have to drop the prices to get rid of the G4's, they get a lineup with both cheap PowerMacs and a high margin (if the rumors regarding the 970 pricing are to be believed) top end -that most will spring for becasue its so much better. Then Sep/Oct they go all 970. Just a thought-let the flames fly....
  • Reply 356 of 770
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    jccbin:

It's entirely possible (if not likely) that they EOL the 1.42 GHz systems because they would expect the existing stock to last until the big update. The lower-end systems are logically more affordable for most, so they need to be produced over a longer period of time. While Apple would certainly want to clear out their stock by the time the PPC 970 hits (assuming it hits this summer), they don't want to have a premature shortage!
  • Reply 357 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

[B]Yes, I would think it would be across the board unless...maybe....Apple is thinking on releasing the 970 from the top down. Would that make sense? /B]

No. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to buy a hypothetical new G4 when a 970 based machine is available. I don't care what the price points are. The Power Mac line will go all 970, from top to bottom, all at once.

The cheapskates out there will be able to get the remaining stock of 1.0/1.25/1.42 G4s at firesale prices for a few weeks. (God knows Fry's will have old G4s out on the floor until Christmas.)
  • Reply 358 of 770
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If they gave the 12" model just SOME of the features of the current (and upcoming) 15" and the 17", I'd happily buy it instead of the upcoming aluminum 15" I'm currently saving/planning for, and not feel bad or like I'm compromising.

I'd MUCH rather have - for "on the go" and all - the small, sexy-as-can-be 12" model, to be honest. Then I'd simply buy a righteous Apple or other nice digital LCD for "serious" work and home use. Along with an external keyboard/mouse. And maybe even that cool iPerch announced today!

Required for me to buy 12" model:

- L3 cache

- DVI

Not required, but would make me part with my money even quicker (the following are in addition to the two previous features):

- FireWire 800

- 2x SuperDrive w/ 16x CD-R (as opposed to current 1x/8x)

- Both RAM slots user accessible (again that word...did I spell it right?)...a PowerBook (ANY PowerBook) should have 1GB RAM expansion capability. 640MB for a "pro" laptop is goofy!

That's it, really. Apple does those first two and that's my new Mac, hands down. They do the OTHER three and I'll buy two of them!

Otherwise, it's 15" city...
  • Reply 359 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

If they gave the 12" model just SOME of the features of the current (and upcoming) 15" and the 17", I'd happily buy it instead and not feel bad or like I'm compromising.

Required for me to buy 12" model:

- L3 cache

- DVI

Not required, but would make me part with my money even quicker (the following are in addition to the two previous features):

- FireWire 800

- 2x SuperDrive w/ 16x CD-R (as opposed to current 1x/8x)

- Both RAM slots user accessible (again that word...did I spell it right?)...a PowerBook (ANY PowerBook) should have 1GB RAM expansion capability. 640MB for a "pro" laptop is goofy!

Add a decent graphics card to that must have list and you've got it. I am a happy 1GHz TiBook owner, but would sell it for the 12" you describe in a heartbeat. Throw in a 20" Cinema Display for use at the house and you have the perfect Mac experience both at home and on the road.

Hhmmm, on second thought I think a lot of people would do exactly this and sales of of the 15"and 17" would suffer. The 12" is crippled for a reason.
  • Reply 360 of 770
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Add a decent graphics card to that must have list and you've got it. I am a happy 1GHz TiBook owner, but would sell it for the 12" you describe in a heartbeat. Throw in a 20" Cinema Display for use at the house and you have the perfect Mac experience both at home and on the road.

Hhmmm, on second thought I think a lot of people would do exactly this and sales of of the 15"and 17" would suffer. The 12" is crippled for a reason.

The difference should be screen size not features. (well maybe a slight difference in CPU speed). The price difference between FW800 / FW400 or DVI / VGA are probably very small and wouldn't hurt profit margins. They could even help since Apple could buy more in bulk.

People will always buy the more expensive Powerbooks simply to get the bigger screens even if the specs are the same as the 12".