Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 301 of 770
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

In related news here comes the Clown Tree. [/B]

U R Evil. I demand a refund for the bandwidth wasted.

Screed
  • Reply 302 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

"It will cost $637 and will be Intel's top offering for months." Good night Intel.

Wow! That is a huge speed bump and for only $637
  • Reply 303 of 770
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 304 of 770
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

On what grounds did the Judge dismiss the Apple case against M$/HP?

You can't copyright an idea...but only it's form. Was it deemed M$ had something that was sufficiently different in look and 'feel'? (Well, guess they did...heh...looked and felt like crap...heh...heh...)

Netro. You just gotta keep the updates coming...can't you log on via a mate's house?

Lemon Bon Bon

Fom memory (please correct me I'm wrong...), a document turned up that detailed an agreement (Scully signed?) basically saying that M$ could indeed copy elements from the Mac OS, as long as it continued devlopment of applications such as Word and Office for the Mac platform...
  • Reply 305 of 770
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    there deffinetly was something about microsoft having to always make software for mac (or they would be split apart into two different companies [dont know about this to be a fact though])
  • Reply 306 of 770
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

there deffinetly was something about microsoft having to always make software for mac (or they would be split apart into two different companies [dont know about this to be a fact though])

IIRC that was the agreement which ended something like 6 months ago. Remember all the hubbub about whether Microsoft would stop developing for Mac at all? There isn't any contractual agreement between Microsoft and Apple now, just a large world out there with eagle eyes on the monopoly of the desktop software and OS market.

The being split into two (or three) companies came from Judge Jackson and was eventually laughed out of dodge because of his 'extraordinary' extracurricular activites regarding the case (too bad that). The software for Apple agreement was completely seperate from that case.

I also find it hilarious that Microsoft continually bitched about modularizing their products as a remedy (it would kill us!) - which they are apparently now actively pursuing (in accordance with their new liscensing schemes).

Course I could just be making this all up too...
  • Reply 307 of 770
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Ditto

The Clown Tree sheds a tear.
  • Reply 308 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    The agreement that just ended was tied to the $150 million MSFT invested in preferred, non-voting Apple stock shortly after Jobs returned to Apple.

THat investment, along with certain other commitments was the basis for the resolution of several long-running lawsuits that Apple had filed against MSFT, but was unrelated to anything Scully might have done, IIRC.

The terms of the agreement have never been made public, except in part.

Part of the deal was that MS would continue to make Office for at least 5 years from the date of the agreement.

Apple would make Internet Explorer the default browser on the Mac OS (although it was free to include Netscape Navigator or others).

MSFT got the preferred stock which the sold at a premium and made quite a bit of green.

Apple and MSFT agreed to cross license a whole slew of technologies that they had been fighting over in court.

MSFT agreed to stop using some Apple-patented items, which, no one knows.

There were othe various items on the list, and some of those terms are permanent (crosslicensing, for instance), or may be subject to patent expirations.

That's all I can recall at the moment.
  • Reply 309 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member

1985 Jobs changes job

On this day in 1985, Apple Computer announced that chairman and cofounder Steve Jobs would no longer control the manufacturing and marketing of the Macintosh computer. The thirty-year-old Jobs had led the development team that designed the machine.
  • Reply 310 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

1985 Jobs changes job

On this day in 1985, Apple Computer announced that chairman and cofounder Steve Jobs would no longer control the manufacturing and marketing of the Macintosh computer. The thirty-year-old Jobs had led the development team that designed the machine.

Way to go Kurt! On behalf of NETRO, I thank you.
  • Reply 311 of 770
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

In related news here comes the Clown Tree.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • Reply 312 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Heh you call yourself a MacFan ... Any self respecting fan would have postponed their move till **AFTER** the countdown was over.

The 'on this day' posts will be missed so hurry back.

Dave

LOL Thanks man! I'll try to be back as soon as possible.
  • Reply 313 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Netro. You just gotta keep the updates coming...can't you log on via a mate's house?

I'll try to get online once in a while, but I can't guarrantie regular updates. Kurt will probably do a fine job while I'm gone though. Thanks for the fine words BTW

On a side note: Finished my final exam today!!! Jiippiiiii
  • Reply 314 of 770
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Don't know. Have to move my DSL and stuff. That will probably take a while I guess. Maybe a week or so. Have to call my DSL provider soon. Hopefully I will be back online some time before the WWDC.

a week or so!??
  • Reply 315 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by wwwork

a week or so!??

he-he. One week may be a bit on the optimistic side I guess. Do you think they'll do it faster if I tell them 'bout the WWDC???
  • Reply 316 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

On a side note: Finished my final exam today!!! Jiippiiiii

So you said you have messed up some medicine?
  • Reply 317 of 770
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

there is certainly boiling something at intel on the 23rd of june.

What a strange coincidence that it happens on the first day of WWDC. The following day, this happens. Interesting.
  • Reply 318 of 770

June 04 1996, Microsoft licenses Visual Basic for Applications

Microsoft announced it would license Visual Basic for Applications, a programming tool that made it easier to customize Microsoft applications. The program let companies enhance Microsoft programs and link them to other products: For example, programmers could create scripts to import information from a database program into a spreadsheet or word processing program. Although Microsoft had not licensed Visual Basic for Applications before, the company hoped it would compete with Java as a programming language for Internet applications.
  • Reply 319 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

So you said you have messed up some medicine?

• Reply 320 of 770
    silvergunsilvergun Posts: 62member
    my expectations for wwdc2003

Panther preview..of course, including demos of ichat 2 with new apple cam, demo of new safri features and other updates. New user interface demos and the like

Official unveiling of pal and how it works as a stand alone product and with a powermac.

new range of ibooks running on a 1.5 ghz gobi

64 bit towers clocking in at 1.4ghz, dual 1.6, dual 1.8 and top spec of dual 2 ghz with shed loads of ram and high end nvidia or ati rendering cards costing just under £3000.

Unveiling of new 64 bit power books 12inch at 1.2ghz, 15.4 inch at 1.4 and 17 inch at 1.6ghz