Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 521 of 1072
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    This thread should be kept in an archive

I wonder if anything will ever get this many hits [esp. in such a short duration]

8)
  • Reply 522 of 1072
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boy_analog

b. The specs are conservative, and were leaked to whip up interest in the WWDC address, yet still provide for a few pleasant shocks.

We can rule out a deliberate leak of exaggerated specs: this would do Apple no good, and would almost certainly invite a lawsuit.

Option b is the intriguing one, is it not? What if the top of the line box is somewhat faster still, perhaps 2.5GHz as some rumours have suggested? You can easily imagine Steve smirking as he remarks: "Well, as many of you would know, there was a small mistake in our Apple Store the other night...."

(Don't get too excited by this speculation, please! Refer to the above probabilities!!)

Oh, and just one more thing, to coin a phrase. Nothing in this leak makes me think that I need to "hit the weights room" as Moki put it. So even if Option b is still just a fantasy, we have reason to think that there's still a few surprises in store (no pun intended). [/B]

Hmm this has be postulated, wouldn't that be another turn up for the books !

Either way i am still giggling
  • Reply 523 of 1072
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

The tech specs are all mostly catch-up to the PC world.

The dual 2 GHz will be the fastest computer available for the home PC market at launch by a considerable margin in any software that is MP aware. Single processors are catch up. The dual is going to make a lot of engineers and creative professionals very happy.

Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

Another thing that I question is the 2 Ghz speed. From what I recall, none of the rumors or any of the info released by IBM has indicated that large quantities of 2 Ghz 970s are available.

IBM hasn't been releasing public information really and those who do know how production is going are under NDAs. You can choose not to believe it if you want but I wouldn't making any bets on slower speeds if I were you.
  • Reply 524 of 1072
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    What if that image isn't real and akamai wasn't hacked?

People at Apple makes those images. Suppose, some bored graphics artist, who works on the online store pages, one day made a specs graphic for the most killer 970's he could imagine, just for fun. I mean, it's pretty likely that the guys doing those graphics are all Mac-heads, right? It's not too far of a stretch to think they might, just for fun, make crazy graphics like that. "Hey, Joe, check out these specs!"

Something I noticed about that page with those new specs displayed on it: if I didn't know I was looking for them, I would never have seen them. I'd have read the title of the page, looked at the pretty picture(s), checked the prices and the stuff under the prices, but not those specs. The font is small and kind of faint. They would have completely slipped by me.

So, now I'm thinking what if this goofy graphic that some bored GA made happened to slip by the one, two or three (or 4, etc.) people that should have been paying attention and voila...
  • Reply 525 of 1072
    reactorreactor Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

What if that image isn't real and akamai wasn't hacked?

People at Apple makes those images. Suppose, some bored graphics artist, who works on the online store pages, one day made a specs graphics for the most killer 970's he could imagine, just for fun

According to Steve Wozniak, the script and play in 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' are remarkebly close to truth, so in this scenario Steve Jobs would pull the plug on this person's computer and give him rants 'till he shivers. Perhaps lifting this guy up against the walls out of furious madness, wasting Steve's time playing.....
  • Reply 526 of 1072
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    So there was no graphic of the Powermac 970 case? Damn. That's what I was most apprehensive about. But I am swept up in frenzied masturbation anyway!
  • Reply 527 of 1072
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Whoa.

How can the new PM have "Three" USB 2.0 ports?

Two on the back, two on the keyboard. That's how Apple counts them. (e.g. Apple's specs say the iMac has five USB ports.)

Did they gut one on the keyboard? Does that make sense?

I am gonna guess three on the back and wireless keyboard/mouse.
  • Reply 528 of 1072
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    Poor Arn over at Macrumors. He is having a tough time keeping his forum up and running due to massive traffic.

• Reply 529 of 1072
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

Actually they only litigated against workerbee to find out who he was(origianlly it was against jon does 1-9 or something. once they found out who he was, he was basically warned(he had been a temp that worked for apple). not to do it again(and can never work for apple again). I dont think they would go after someone for $ damages, because, quit frankly, the guy wouldnt have it to give em. (where-as some companies still would do it anyways).

Interestingly enough, I found this in an old Mac magazine the other day...

Brings back memories

Amorya
  • Reply 530 of 1072
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    AAPL $Ê19.42 +0.28 +1.46% Vol: 505,678
  • Reply 531 of 1072
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Damn. I should have bought a whole warehouse of Apple stock about a month ago. So let me get this straight: No pictures of the actual G5 were up on the Apple website. Only the specs? Nothing but those mother****ing SKY-HIGH specs? And no prices, I take it. I'm guessing $2800 for the top machine, $2000 for the middle, and $1700 for the low?

Monday seems a lot like Christmas to me.
  • Reply 532 of 1072
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

The dual 2 GHz will be the fastest computer available for the home PC market at launch by a considerable margin in any software that is MP aware. Single processors are catch up. The dual is going to make a lot of engineers and creative professionals very happy.

Yeah, think of an altivec- and dual-aware app. This thing is gonna kill at encoding video and the like.

But that dual 2Ghz will also generate a helluva lot of heat.
  • Reply 533 of 1072
    enaena Posts: 667member
    We finally break free of the system bus. 1ghz!!! This thing is going to scream.
  • Reply 534 of 1072
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    1,000,000 shares traded after an hour
  • Reply 535 of 1072
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

.......will also generate a helluva lot of heat.

What are the specs on the 970 for heat? I know the power 4 is fairly warm.

• Reply 536 of 1072
    Originally posted by Perdo at Geek.com

"There is a new breed of troll in town, and they are called Mac Zealots.

And they have 5 years of pent up frustration to vent. And they have big ammo.

Dual 2.0 Ghz PPC 970, considering the specmarks of the 1.8 trash the P4 3066 and Oppy 1.8 both, is a monster piece of desktop hardware."

Yeah Baby! Yeah! - Lets go troll

• Reply 537 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

So would investing a lot in AAPL really pay off? I need to pay for college and this would help.

God if they intro new PBG4 12"ers I'm going to hate them.

And OPTICAL AUDIO was the most interesting part for me. I wonder the price. This was the scoopiest scoop EVER. I did not even expect an ANNOUNCEMENT, I was VERY cynical.

It's so awesome I puked in my mouth and swallowed it.

This made me laugh so hard, getting so excited that you vurp is the best. Man, I just read all every post so far and I am now completely out of my mind. So dual 2Ghz G5=what kinda pentium? Man, four cups of coffee, nine cigarettes and four trillion G5 post have made me very shakey. My G3 iMac looks very slow right now...must resist career change to male prostitute...not worth it....
  • Reply 538 of 1072
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    (I have been unable to post!)

Anyway, I think this thread should be a sort of ROLL CALL. Every registered user should at least post here, even if just to say WOW!

I've got tons of money just waiting to buy a new Mac!

Thank heavens that we won't have Moto as an anchor around our neck any longer.

This is REVOLUTIONARY!

JRC - oldest known AI forum registrant.
  • Reply 539 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Newflash: Cupertino June 20th 4:12am

Body found outside of Apple.com HQ:

Dead men weave no websites
  • Reply 540 of 1072
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

This made me laugh so hard, getting so excited that you vurp is the best. Man, I just read all every post so far and I am now completely out of my mind. So dual 2Ghz G5=what kinda pentium? Man, four cups of coffee, nine cigarettes and four trillion G5 post have made me very shakey. My G3 iMac looks very slow right now...must resist career change to male prostitute...not worth it....

Work it baby work it!!