What happened to the "tower"?

rbrrbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The MDD had two (5 1/4") optical drive bays and room for four internal hard drives. The all new and improved G5 has room for only one optical drive and only two hard drives apparently. This does not seem very "pro" or tower. Is there another model we do not yet know about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

The all new and improved G5 has room for only one optical drive and only two hard drives apparently. This does not seem very "pro" or tower. Is there another model we do not yet know about?

Doubtful. With FW800 and USB2 ports, Apple probably figures there's no need for as many internal storage options anymore. Just guessing.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

The MDD had two (5 1/4") optical drive bays and room for four internal hard drives. The all new and improved G5 has room for only one optical drive and only two hard drives apparently. This does not seem very "pro" or tower. Is there another model we do not yet know about?

There could be another tower, but not for pros. Further:

1. You clearly don't know what a "Pro" tower is. Pros (i.e. Video Editors, Compositors, Motion Graphics,Pro Audio) use JBODs, networked storage and render farms linked to servers via fiber. No "pro" stores media on local drives. Period.

2. You can have 500 gigs in the G5 tower! That is plenty of room to store project files and folders. If you want to store large quantities of data, video, or graphic files get an XRaid! (or one of thousands of other applicable storage solutions)

3. Name one "Pro" use for a second optical drive.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I am sick of all of the comments on these forums about what a pro tower has coming from people who don't understand what industry professionals really need.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    when you look inside the tower. You will see a big chunk of space inside is occupied by fans and the massive CPU heatsink(s). There's just no space to fit anymore stuff in there
  • Reply 4 of 130
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

1. You clearly don't know what a "Pro" tower is. Pros (i.e. Video Editors, Compositors, Motion Graphics,Pro Audio) use JBODs, networked storage and render farms linked to servers via fiber. No "pro" stores media on local drives. Period.

2. You can have 500 gigs in the G5 tower! That is plenty of room to store project files and folders. If you want to store large quantities of data, video, or graphic files get an XRaid! (or one of thousands of other applicable storage solutions)

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I am sick of all of the comments on these forums about what a pro tower has coming from people who don't understand what industry professionals really need.

This may sound harsh also, but maybe you are just sick of hearing how poorly Apple's cases compare to even a cheap PC case in terms of funcitonality. Perhaps you simply do not know what a real tower is either. It sounds like the case fits your needs which is good, but not everyones. Real towers have more space than what Apple now offers. And yes there are people out there running multiple RAID arrays and other things, some internal and some external. There really ought to be more choice...that is what it is about.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but, you're an idiot.
  • Reply 6 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but, you're an idiot.

That's great. How mature for a moderator.

I layed out a case for my thoughts and instead of having anything intelligent to say, you stoop to calling me an Idiot? How articulate.

That's pathetic.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

This may sound harsh also, but maybe you are just sick of hearing how poorly Apple's cases compare to even a cheap PC case in terms of funcitonality. Perhaps you simply do not know what a real tower is either. It sounds like the case fits your needs which is good, but not everyones. Real towers have more space than what Apple now offers. And yes there are people out there running multiple RAID arrays and other things, some internal and some external. There really ought to be more choice...that is what it is about.

I agree with you completly that there are many more functional PC cases. I have both. I always choose the best tool for the job regardless of any personal bias towards Macs.

My point is that I think that Apple is taking the right STEPS towards developing a true pro tower. They couldn't please everybody with every feature so they included what was most important.

I work in Film/Telvision Visual Effects and I rely on Pro equipment everyday (currently PCs, Macs, and Unix workstations). I would love to see more people in my industry using and relying on PowerMacs. But, they will never bother with internal ATA drives for a storage solution. And they don't need two optical drives.

Unfortunately many people on these forums (maybe you, maybe not, clearly the moderator) seem to be complaining a lot about a lack of features, but they can't explain what they need them for.
  • Reply 8 of 130
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

That's great. How mature for a moderator.

Name one use for a 2nd drive you say?

A small software company burning their own CDs (disc-to-disc copying, or two discs at a time).

A DJ playing two CDs at a time.

Restoring from a CD-R backup faster.

Need I go on? I think it's fairly obvious you didn't think fully about what you posted.

I want my 2nd external drive, but the G5 rocks so much I just don't care anymore.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 130
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

A small software company burning their own CDs (disc-to-disc copying, or two discs at a time).

Need I go on? I think it's fairly obvious you didn't think fully about what you posted.

I want my 2nd external drive, but the G5 rocks so much I just don't care anymore.

Barto

Again, there are many external drives for this (USB, USB2 or Firewire). I'm sorry, but so far I agree with everything Buckeye has said.... including the maturity post, sorry Applenut .
  • Reply 10 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Barto

You win. Thanks for the examples.

But, I think you proved my point. It's fairly obvious that all of those things can be done on the current G4 towers or on a similarly configured PC.

This new G5 tower caters to the demands of people that need something more powerful for more intensive tasks than burning multiple CD-Rs.

2 optical drives? Sure it's handy, but not necessary.

Does a DJ need a G5 Tower to play music off of CDs? Sounds like a stretch.
  • Reply 11 of 130
    i don't understand all the complaints about not having enough internal drive bays. there are plenty of external drives that do the job really well. Apple is not trying to built a hobbyist pc, nor are they trying to built a one-size-fits-all machine. for most pro users, the G5 is pretty sweet in terms of what it can do and what it can support. can't put another hard drive or dvd burner in there? buy an external one, then.
  • Reply 12 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

i don't understand all the complaints about not having enough internal drive bays. there are plenty of external drives that do the job really well. Apple is not trying to built a hobbyist pc, nor are they trying to built a one-size-fits-all machine. for most pro users, the G5 is pretty sweet in terms of what it can do and what i can support. can't put another hard drive or dvd burner in there? buy an external one, then.

Exactly.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    alright....

here's from my "reactions" post

Quote:

PowerMac G5

uhg....

1. Reduced hard drive bays from 4 (supported) to 2.

2. Reduced PCI slots from 4 to 3

3. Reduced external drive bays from 2 to 1

4. They got rid of the door. What the hell? It was a signature part and advantage of Apple's towers. And now its gone.

Apple greatly reduced expansion options all while RAISING the price. Not only that, they raised the entry level model 500 dollars. As if that wasnt bad enough, the entry level model is NEUTERED... no PCI-X, no DDR-400, no 8GB RAM max. The standard video card situation is not impressive considering the price of these machines... and the only difference between the high end and mid range is an additional processor yet the price increases 600 dollars.

Most of all, the entry price point for a user who wants an upgradable graphic card and/or PCI slot(s) and a choice of displays shot up today and Apple offers no suitable "prosumer" option.

here's for your post.

Quote:

all "pros" have thousands of dollars to spend on unneccessary RAIDs and render farms? If that is the "pro" market Apple is concerned about they are focusing on a very small demographic. And that's the last thing they need. Apple is already a niche company.... if they start producing niche machines they will go under. Apple's machines while focused have to appeal to a wide range of people. Apple completely ignored prosumers with these powermacs and they completely ignored "pros" as you say who dont have thousands of dollars and who dont NEED renderfarms and Xserve RAIDS when all they really need is possibly 3 cheap 200 dollar ATA hard drives in a case. Which, I hate to tell you, MANY people have. I have 3 ATA hard drives in my G4 and I am far from a power user. Why do I have them? Because I needed more space and an internal ATA hard drive is cheap. PowerMac prices already went UP with this revision.... the expansion cuts are just adding more hidden costs to the overall cost of the machine.

Quote:

when I bought my PowerMac G4 it was advertised at 360GB of storage potential internally I believe. Now I can have 1,200 GBs internally due to the 4 drive bays and new 300GB HDs.

XRaid? why? have you seen the prices? you may as well buy 2 more PowerMac G5s instead. you aren't making sense and you seem to have this horrible misconception that all PowerMac buyers are loaded with cash to throw around. Even people with loads of cash have to spend it wisely. And Xraid is way overkill when having just a bit more EMPTY SPACE in a tower that already increased greatly in size would serve most people much better.

Quote:

. Name one "Pro" use for a second optical drive.

Superdrives write CD-Rs and CD-RWS horribly slow. The whole point of the MDD PowerMac's 2nd drive bay was so that you could very cheaply add a very fast CD-R/CDRW burner to compliment the DVD burner.

Quote:

you're spoon fed propaganda and never take the time to take a step back and think.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Again, there are many external drives for this (USB, USB2 or Firewire). I'm sorry, but so far I agree with everything Buckeye has said.... including the maturity post, sorry Applenut .

i do believe one of the main PURPOSES of the tower design of computers is to allow internal expansion so that you do not have dozens of external devices connected via a tangle of cables to the computer.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    Quote:

You win. Thanks for the examples.

This new G5 tower caters to the demands of people that need something more powerful for more intensive tasks than burning multiple CD-Rs.

somehow an increase in power has to mean taking away expansion?

i dont understand your logic at all, perhaps because it doesn't make sense
  • Reply 16 of 130
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

i do believe one of the main PURPOSES of the tower design of computers is to allow internal expansion so that you do not have dozens of external devices connected via a tangle of cables to the computer.

I'm not sure the PURPOSE of the tower was to limit cable clutter.. considering that towers were around before USB or Firewire was.....................................

Sh*t man, I don't actually know the original intent of towers so, maybe you're right.... I don't know. All I know is that I have absolutely no problem with then new towers. I can get anything externally and don't think it's a big deal what so ever.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I can get anything externally and don't think it's a big deal what so ever.

you don't have a problem with paying an extra 100 bucks to get a device external?

i do
  • Reply 18 of 130
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

you don't have a problem with paying an extra 100 bucks to get a device external?

i do

at least $100, of course I got a dual FW bay for $50... but thats way off-topic...8)
  • Reply 19 of 130
    Yeah, try $179.00 for a Firewire 800 enclosure (no drive)...

I agree with both arguements though. Making this nicely expandable case like they did with the MDD and then taking it all away less than a year later is pretty stupid. Obviously it was only because Apple was lacking in every other department that the MDD case was designed in order to calm at least a few complaints if not hopefully most of them. Pretty silly if you ask me. On the other hand, I can also see the side of expandability and buying external drives. Personally, external drives are the way to go. You can put your tower on the ground, have your drives on the desk (to turn them on or off, or if a burner to open and close them), reduce the clutter and space taken up, take them with you to bring all your files and projects to another computer, or in my case, have your entire system on an external drive and boot from that disk, enabling you to literally have your computer with you (and all your files, and your apps) where ever you may be. With Firewire 800, external drives are now every bit as fast as internal ones(well, at least close enough). I do understand about the money, but if your into computer gear, chances are you're willing to pay for what you need/want anyway, so money isn't your first concern, only utility. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that, but really, the best things are never cheap.

-CFPC
  • Reply 20 of 130
    Internal expandability should not just be available from a financial, but even more so from an esthetical point of view. If there is one thing that I - as a former PC user - admire about Apple, it is the way they succeed(ed) at combining performance, functionality and design. The way Apple computers are designed, the fact there's eye for detail and perfection, ...

If I buy a Mac, I am willing to pay more because it is not just raw integer floating processor ramming speed! Are there other reasons why people prefer an Apple over an ordinary PC? Sure, probably hundreds ...

My point is, design obviously matters to Mac buyers, even to users of high end machines. And tell me what remains of that perfect design if you have got ten external devices sitting around it and making it look like ... well, an ordinary PC again?

High end => high demand for internal customization /expandabilty

Not so high end => everything your heart may desire already neatly integrated