Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 421 of 552
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

If you're going to unzip and pull it out, make damn sure you know what you're talking about, okay?

Oh relax....Listen to yourself. You certainly don't need to use me as the quote in your post. I didn't give a damn aside from saying Shift slows it down. Whatever the others were blathering about is your gripe.

Too bad you didn't just come in and solve the little mystery and leave it at that.

I love it, so typical of a web forum: some off the cuff remark leads to all out confusion and loathing. The less important the topic the worse it is... Perfect...

continue
  • Reply 422 of 552
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Oh relax....Listen to yourself. You certainly don't need to use me as the quote in your post. I didn't give a damn aside from saying Shift slows it down. Whatever the others were blathering about is your gripe.

Too bad you didn't just come in and solve the little mystery and leave it at that.

And too bad you decided to advertise the definitive answer to the problem, which wasn't the definitive answer. Rather than trying to solve the little mystery, you decided to make the people who didn't understand why they needed command feel like idiots. Everybody already seemed clear that shift slowed it down.

I agree, let's continue.

Anyone look into Finder scriptability yet or did I miss it?
  • Reply 423 of 552
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

The command key is used to open a folder in a new window if the default behavior is to open in the same window.

well I was doing this from the desktop... so you were half right...
  • Reply 424 of 552
    Quote:

And too bad you decided to advertise the definitive answer to the problem, which wasn't the definitive answer. Rather than trying to solve the little mystery, you decided to make the people who didn't understand why they needed command feel like idiots. Everybody already seemed clear that shift slowed it down.

I never said anyone was an idiot. I was groaning that someone was confusing the issue by joking about double Shift keys whilst the Apple key problem had come up.

"Always open folders in a new window" is such a colossally moot point, though. Of course it needs to be on, otherwise there is no new window to scale, is there.

Unfortunately I assumed people were trying it on the Desktop, which always makes a new window. Had I thought people were using a Finder window it might have occured to me that new windows were not spawning (and hence no animation) but I didn't catch any hints of that in their posts (I was giving people enough credit that they knew they needed to have "Always open folders in a new window" turned on in order to see, umm , new windows for folders opening...in slowmotion or otherwise.)

Regardless, Command/Apple isn't needed to make it scale slowly, it's needed to make it open in a new window at all.

No matter what, Shift is the only key needed to make it scale slower...

Definitive? I don't presume. Just my observation.
  • Reply 425 of 552
    Quote:

Regardless, Command/Apple isn't needed to make it scale slowly, it's needed to make it open in a new window - at all.

No matter what, Shift is the only key needed to make it scale slower...

Definitive? I don't presume. Just my observation.

well it doesn't work on my machine without command... can we drop it now?...
  • Reply 426 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

well it doesn't work on my machine without command... can we drop it now?...

Well, kudos for not bringing "Jesus" or "retards" into it at least

Of course there are any number of reasons why it might differ, shareware, OS version, slow double-click speed settings, corrupt prefs, who knows. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Only subtlety I didn't mention enough is, on the Desktop, the icon needs to be selected first. If you try it without first selecting the folder, you will only select then deselect the folder when double-clicking. In Finder windows (assuming, of course, that "Always open folders in new windows" is on), it need not be selected first.

This should be in a GUI nitpickers thread, I agree.
  • Reply 427 of 552
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, it should... shall we get back to the requests now?
  • Reply 428 of 552
    Quote:

on the Desktop, the icon needs to be selected first. If you try it without first selecting the folder, you will only select then deselect the folder when double-clicking.

ummm.... yeah....

I got it to work now...

sorry
  • Reply 429 of 552
    Sooo....um....does Panther use Shift to slow the folder and Dock animations?

<ducks>

No, really, we can talk about anything else...

Any new background images with Panther dev? Or will they roll them out with the retail version?

I want my black faux fur desktop...
  • Reply 430 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I've got one.

How is Full Keyboard Access in Panther? I've heard reports elsewhere that's been enhanced...

From the screenshot, it seems like it's reduced to a single checkbox...? Or does that checkbox toggle on and off a group of customizable shortcuts now?
  • Reply 431 of 552
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Symbolic Links vs. Aliases

Apple hasn't eliminated aliases in favor of symbolic links in Panther by any chance? I don't really see why they don't, as the current mix can be a bit confusing, but perhaps someone can enlighten me?
  • Reply 432 of 552
    Is Panther 64-bit iteslf or is it simply equipped to handle 64-bit packages for the processor?
  • Reply 433 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCommets

Is Panther 64-bit iteslf

Think of it this way:

If Panther was 64-bit itself, it would not run on our current processors.
  • Reply 434 of 552
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

Symbolic Links vs. Aliases

Apple hasn't eliminated aliases in favor of symbolic links in Panther by any chance? I don't really see why they don't, as the current mix can be a bit confusing, but perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Um, backwards compatibility? What's wrong with the current mix?
  • Reply 435 of 552
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What's wrong with the current mix?

They work differently, don't they? They seem to serve the same purpose, don't they? Though keeping them both as separate notions appears to be the only way to accomodate both Mac OS aliases and symbolic links from UNIX.
  • Reply 436 of 552
    I'd like it if things like the webserver could follow aliases. That is their biggest limitation for my uses.
  • Reply 437 of 552
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I'm happy... and so will my middle eastern studies friends...

Text Edit...

Just activate the Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi (Persian) keyboards, select the right font... and off you go typing away.

Now then... would be useful to have a keyboard layout of the keys!!!

As you can see, multiple laguages on one document

http://homepage.mac.com/zo66/.Pictures/arabic.jpg

[This post has incurred the angry wrath of Brad. Do not post large images inline!! LINK OR THUMBNAIL THEM.]
  • Reply 438 of 552
    check out the keycaps palette in the keyboard layout menu... not a physical layout on the keyboard... but you see what keys are where and it can be toggled to float over all other windows so you can see it at all times... in a way it is better then having the correct keys in the correct places...

could you save that document as a .doc and would it open correctly in word?
  • Reply 439 of 552
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I'm happy... and so will my middle eastern studies friends...

Text Edit...

Just activate the Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi (Persian) keyboards, select the right font... and off you go typing away.

Now then... would be useful to have a keyboard layout of the keys!!!

Cool, ZO, but this already works in Jaguar. What I'd like to see is if right-to-left works right:

Switch to Hebrew or Arabic, and to RTL. Type a few words, and then type a number (say, 123), then some more words. The number should be correctly ordered (left-to-right) even in the midst of RTL text.

If that works, take it to the next level. Type some character (no spaces), then a hyphen("-"), then a number. Try that in Hebrew. It took Microsoft years until they got that one right.

Thanks.
  • Reply 440 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Guys, c'mon, thumbnail.

And if someone does that, don't quote the thing.