sick of waiting... Powerbook/iBook info, guesses, wild speculation anyone?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 304
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Escher, its not that I disagree in theory with

"Avie Tevanian's new position certainly has to do with de-emphasizing Steve Jobs as well. Apple has clearly de-emphasized major shows, e.g. Macworld, and made announcements by press release when they are ready. Now it's time to de-emphasize Jobs as the only vehicle for live announcements."

It is that I disagree in practice. Steve Jobs is the face of Apple and . Of course, it could be as simple as Steve not being able to get "Keynote" to work so soon after his major effort at the WWDC.

As noted above, why do we have to scrabble for critical information? September is far too late for planning for back to school, and that goes doubly for faculty and administrators. The budgets come in in July, and the money's spent by the end of this month (if there was any at all.) Those of us who've been saving private monies since Pismo Year need to get that stuff loaded up in our new little G4s, but I cannot DVI out from the runt of the litter, as portable as it may be, sooooo..... Has it come to simply skipping another year, or will they get me to try to act non-chalant and gallant with a 17" clipboard superscreener? Watch this space.
  • Reply 62 of 304
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    ThinkSecret says that Apple's MW booth is "wide open" ahead of Wednesday's exhibit floor opening, suggesting that the lack of security means no product introductions by Joz during his keynote. If updated PBs are announced tomorrow (Tues., 7/15), couldn't they just be carted out just prior to the exhibits opening?

Jeez, I hope we don't have to wait until Paris for new PBs and I hope MacWhispers is wrong about updated TiBooks. No, please, not that!

Hey, macnews.net.tc says that a new mouse & keyboard is confirmed by a NY source. They'd be aluminum, similar to the AlBooks, but not Bluetooth, just USB. Sure would go with the G5 but also would make nice accessories for AlBooks. Maybe they'll show up this week at MWCP.
  • Reply 63 of 304
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Jeez, I hope we don't have to wait until Paris for new PBs and I hope MacWhispers is wrong about updated TiBooks. No, please, not that!

It could be that Jack's just trying to be overly pessmistic after being overly optimistic before WWDC. That way, on average, he can be right.
  • Reply 64 of 304
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by halode

But I am still loath to buy something that was introduced 8 months ago. By definition, I think it's not the best it could be.

The flip side of buying an 8 month old model is that Apple has most likely worked any kinks out by then (they silently revise their models over time), so you're getting the model at its most reliable. Given your experience with Apple laptops, it's probably not a bad idea to buy a model on its way out. The odds are better that it won't go funny on you.
  • Reply 65 of 304
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    I might just be clutching at straws, but if you check Cancom UK's (www.cancomuk.com) website, they only have the 12" Superdrive and the 17" in stock, the others saying a couple of days. Maybe that's a sign of some running down of stock for an announcement within the next couple of days?

I really hope so
  • Reply 66 of 304
    halodehalode Posts: 21member
    Didn't someone say 6 pm tomorrow (not that they put forth any justification, but still...)

If nothing happens by the keynote, I guess we're pretty much waiting until September.

If they aren't shipping new notebooks until late fall, they're missing out on hordes of students.

I was hoping they'd announce something this week, and then have it shipping by Sept at the latest.

I am afraid that 'no security at Apple booth' fact sounds pretty damning...

I feel that the naiads may win. Damn snobby naiads.
  • Reply 67 of 304
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    I'm still optimistic for new 15" PowerBooks this week. They are very much due for a revision and the revision people expect wouldn't warrant a major announcement, the 15" PB's are still shipping in 7-10 days from Apple, and there's the threads about Berkeley changing their requirements with a note to wait until Wednesday (it was Berkeley, wasn't it?) Also, my university is announcing it's back to school deals on computers in "late July" and has traditionally been a big Apple supporter, and I have very good reason to believe there's going to be a 15" PowerBook in one of those bundles, updated or not - I'm hoping updated. Perhaps I should've bought the 15" TiBook with SuperDrive they were offering for ~$2150. Plus there were those rumors about the new 15.4" case from the Register..

Plus it's only Monday. I'm still very hopeful.
  • Reply 68 of 304
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    ThinkSecret reports that the Apple Booth is wide open and unmasked at MacWorld. This really bodes badly for new Powerbooks this week.
  • Reply 69 of 304
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

ThinkSecret reports that the Apple Booth is wide open and unmasked at MacWorld. This really bodes badly for new Powerbooks this week.

crap, i want that powerbook
  • Reply 70 of 304
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

If the upgrade is just incremental - minor screen size change, aluminium case, small speed bump, would Apple necessarily be exhibiting it?
  • Reply 71 of 304
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

If the upgrade is just incremental - minor screen size change, aluminium case, small speed bump, would Apple necessarily be exhibiting it?

Sure. Nonetheless, it would probably take less than 20 minutes to swap old "decoy" Titanium PowerBooks for new 15-inch Aluminum PowerBooks during the Jozwiak keynote on Wednesday morning.

I'm definitely still hoping... because hope springs eternal.

Escher
  • Reply 72 of 304
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the Apple booth can be stocked with G5s, iMacs, iBooks, 12 and 17" PBs right now and no security needed. Ah, but what's under the hood of those AlBooks? Are there any TiBooks on display in the booth? We don't know. Maybe 15" AlBooks will be rolled out at the last minute.

Here's something else to consider: Suppose PB revisions are announced Tues. morning but aren't expected to ship for a couple of weeks. Would they necessarily need to be on display in the booth?

Come on PB15! Bring it on! 8)
  • Reply 73 of 304
    jaedrethjaedreth Posts: 20member
    It seems like to me that Apple is *trying* very hard to make it look like they won't be announcing any products.

I'd say we'll get a minor update on Wednesday. If not then, then we won't see it in Paris, but January.

Even if there is a minor update now, they usually save big updates on Powerbooks til January.
  • Reply 74 of 304
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaedreth

It seems like to me that Apple is *trying* very hard to make it look like they won't be announcing any products.

I'd say we'll get a minor update on Wednesday. If not then, then we won't see it in Paris, but January.

Even if there is a minor update now, they usually save big updates on Powerbooks til January.

ahhhhh, NO. You seriously think that Apple would wait a year between updating their pro product line? That's insanity! I don't understand how some of you have become close-minded in thinking that just because there is "no security" at the Apple booth that Apple can't set up laptops on the day they are announced. I have labs of iBooks at work, and I can take them out and set them up in about 20 minutes. Why can't Apple do the same? Greg Joswiak may be recapping the G5 and Panther, but it does seem like there is time to at least reveal something new, including a new 15-inch. I'll be pissed otherwise. The Ti has been sitting with an 867 and 1GHz processor now for EIGHT months. In another other facet of the PC market that's pathetic. If it turns out that Motorola has mucked up the works again, piss on them.
  • Reply 75 of 304
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    My ideal scenario?

They unveil the aluminated (hey, that's pretty good...feel free to use it from here out ) 15" model, with all the goodies of the 12" and 17" (including the backlit keyboard of the 17"!).

But it sports the '57 and every PowerBook (12", 15" and 17") is now at 1GHz and above (say, 1GHz for the 12" and 1.whatever for the 15" and 17").

All models now have L3 cache and DVI (ahem...).

And just for them to do that would be enough. Even if they don't ship until September, that's fine. At least THIS DAMN WAIT AND UNCERTAINTY IS OVER!!!

And then we can spend another 2 months shopping for bags and sleeves, thinking about how to best transfer our files over, looking at photos and specs of it at Apple's website, etc., know that - come autumn - we'll have something really cool and "worth the wait" to buy. Just in time for Halloween and the holidays.

But sure...if they want to start shipping them immediately, well that's fine too.

• Reply 76 of 304
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

And then we can spend another 2 months shopping for bags and sleeves, thinking about how to best transfer our files over, looking at photos and specs of it at Apple's website, etc., know that - come autumn - we'll have something really cool and "worth the wait" to buy.

Lord, you just put the whole Mac 'experience' into perspective for me in one sentence. I love it.

Giddy schoolgirls? You betcha.
  • Reply 77 of 304
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Oh well, I was looking forward to upgrading my Ti400 to a G5 PB!.

Looks like the 15.4 Al will most likely now be G4. But Im curious, I know the 7457 is not due in qauntity until Q4 03!, Well thats Oct-Dec 03.

Maybe Apple will keep the PB's G4 till around MWSF 04 for a G5 PB, and move the iBooks to G4 7457 around that time or earlier, sort of makes sense!, but its easy to convince oneself of just about anything?.

I WILL get the 'new' PB 15" as soon as is updated, period. Cannot wait till January, only to be told that they wont ship for 2 months. When the G5 PB's do become available however, they may be difficult to resist. \
  • Reply 78 of 304
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I thought it was Q3? I don't know. I don't even know what it all means, when they say a chip is "sampling" and so forth. All I know is that I was kinda hoping any new PowerBook would be using this particular chip and that perhaps that explains this long wait?

That's the bright spot I keep holding on to. Maybe there's a true, valid reason for all this silence and waiting. Apple knows they're going to use this 7457 and they just need to buy some time until it's ready?

As for the G5 PowerBook, I still fall into the camp of "it's quite a ways off, fellas...". I just don't think we'll see one within 9 or so months. I really don't.

I think we'll see this 7457 first, and judging by history, it'll be in there for a good while (6, 8 or 10 months maybe?). But that's fine because by all accounts, it seems to be a pretty nice chip and an improvement over the current one.

I'll wait a bit...
  • Reply 79 of 304
    Motorola said they're moving up production of the '57 to Q3 from their original thinking of Q4. Maybe they had some big customer egging them on.

As for G5 PBs, January at the very earliest. We've been led to think that it'll take until at least Feb. for the 970 to shrink down to .09µ but maybe East Fishkill is performing better than expected.

My WAG is the PBG5 will debut at 1.4 GHz to 1.6 GHz in early '04. Is it worth waiting for? Sure, for some who have fairly recent 'Books but there are lots of folks, me included, who need a new PB NOW. I didn't get the first PPC, either.
  • Reply 80 of 304
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Motorola said they're moving up production of the '57 to Q3 from their original thinking of Q4. Maybe they had some big customer egging them on.

As for G5 PBs, January at the very earliest. We've been led to think that it'll take until at least Feb. for the 970 to shrink down to .09µ but maybe East Fishkill is performing better than expected.

My WAG is the PBG5 will debut at 1.4 GHz to 1.6 GHz in early '04. Is it worth waiting for? Sure, for some who have fairly recent 'Books but there are lots of folks, me included, who need a new PB NOW. I didn't get the first PPC, either.

Im inclined to agree with you here, but Im also wondering what would the level of concern be on Apple's part, if a 'significant' amount of customers delay their purchase of PB's, in anticipation (speculation) of a forthcoming PB G5.

Im hearing xserve sales have already stalled, PB's remained 'constrained' at the reseller level until next week. Im thinking Apple will try to get these G5 PB's as soon as possible if their analysis suggests a sales decline?, I doubt any heat issues @ 1.2GHz, but is evident at even modest increments, necessitating the process shrink, which will not be required for about 6 months (March 04), that timeline appears doable at Fishkill.

This is unlikely as SJ would surely announce the PB G5 at say Paris in September, is that possible if the PB is speed bumped in July? I assume not!.

My feeling is that the PB 15 has NOT been speed bumped because even the G4 7455 is very hot at speeds above 1G, instead waiting for the 7457 to do the job?