New PowerBooks tomorrow.

1323335373844

Comments

  • Reply 681 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hledgard

    It certainly seems a good omen that the wait for a 15" BP is 5-7 bus. days, and the 12" and 17" are immediate. Apple Store.



    Dr. L




    Did this change or have they been at that?
  • Reply 682 of 873
    Im talking about that nice song at the start.. the soothing 1. I don't think it's classed as techno, but then again your probably only used to country music, rap and heavy metal
  • Reply 683 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ti Fighter

    thats not even close to being techno



    It's not real music played by real human beings, therefore it's crap.
  • Reply 684 of 873
    Let me apologize in advance for staring a music flame war and taking this thread OT. I'll gladly meet anyone in AO to discuss the "merits" of electronic music.



    No new Powerbooks until Paris. That's my prediction. See, now we're back on topic.
  • Reply 685 of 873
    I heard that ramones song a few minutes back, its terrible. The sooner we rid the world of new metal and the like the better
  • Reply 686 of 873
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by silvergun

    I heard that ramones song a few minutes back, its terrible. The sooner we rid the world of new metal and the like the better



    ...all things must pass.
  • Reply 687 of 873
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

    No new Powerbooks until Paris. That's my prediction. See, now we're back on topic.



    Thank god you are just plain wrong!



    Seriously, Apple will not go for a month with an empty channel and miss the back to school sales.
  • Reply 688 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by *l++

    Thank god you are just plain wrong!



    Seriously, Apple will not go for a month with an empty channel and miss the back to school sales.




    The channel is not empty.



    Apple has already missed Back To School sales.



    The 7457 is still not ready.



    If new PB and iMacs are "press released" next week, what the hell is Steve going to talk about for two hours in Paris?
  • Reply 689 of 873
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ensign Pulver



    If new PB and iMacs are "press released" next week, what the hell is Steve going to talk about for two hours in Paris?




    Just off the top of my head...



    1. The huge number of PBs sold since the introduction in August.



    2. The huge number of G5s sold since the introduction in June.



    3. Features of the G5 we didn't know about.



    4. Panther, Panther and more Panther.



    5. iPods, iTMS, Apple stores



    6. New iMacs ????



    7. iSight, maybe a new beta of iChat AV?
  • Reply 690 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

    If new PB and iMacs are "press released" next week, what the hell is Steve going to talk about for two hours in Paris?



    The release of Panther? Is the release of an Al version of the Ti worth more than a simple PR? Speed bumped iMacs sure aren't. New displays? New keyboard and wireless mouse? New iTMS for Europe? Apple store in Paris?



    IOW, I can think of a lot of things for Steve to talk about in Paris but updated PBs don't have to be among them. I want new PBs next week!
  • Reply 691 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by neutrino23

    Just off the top of my head...



    1. The huge number of PBs sold since the introduction in August.



    2. The huge number of G5s sold since the introduction in June.



    3. Features of the G5 we didn't know about.



    4. Panther, Panther and more Panther.



    5. iPods, iTMS, Apple stores



    6. New iMacs ????



    7. iSight, maybe a new beta of iChat AV?






    Maybe iTMS Europe will be ready to go by Paris as well. Would be a great place to demo it (and maybe the Windoze version). Would be great to get iTMS out there before Microsoft comes up with some crap and integrates it right into their operating system.
  • Reply 692 of 873
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by macmike

    Maybe iTMS Europe will be ready to go by Paris as well. Would be a great place to demo it (and maybe the Windoze version). Would be great to get iTMS out there before Microsoft comes up with some crap and integrates it right into their operating system.



    Too late see macrumors about the M$ tunes thing
  • Reply 693 of 873
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    When IBM produces a "portable" version of the G5, is it likely to be cooler than the G4? I'm one of a few who actually use the PowerBook laptop on my lap, 99% of the time. I keep my 667Mhz DVI model on a plexiglass platform I made to keep (most of) the heat off my legs, but it's still uncomfortable, especially in the summer.



    Having heard that Motorola's 7457 chips will be cooler than current G4s, I'll be trying to decide whether to upgrade to a PowerBook with one of those or wait for a low-power G5, hoping it'll be even cooler. If Apple were to offer a widescreen high resolution version of the iBook G3, I'd likely be the first in line to buy one.



    We don't know for sure that upgraded PowerBooks will use the 7457 but that's what I assume. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 694 of 873
    Is Steve confirmed to do the Paris keynote? Maybe it's Schiller or Jozwiak again with nothing new to talk about. They may just repeat how great the ITMS/G5/Powerbook/iSight are doing.
  • Reply 695 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iDave

    When IBM produces a "portable" version of the G5, is it likely to be cooler than the G4? I'm one of a few who actually use the PowerBook laptop on my lap, 99% of the time. I keep my 667Mhz DVI model on a plexiglass platform I made to keep (most of) the heat off my legs, but it's still uncomfortable, especially in the summer.



    Having heard that Motorola's 7457 chips will be cooler than current G4s, I'll be trying to decide whether to upgrade to a PowerBook with one of those or wait for a low-power G5, hoping it'll be even cooler. If Apple were to offer a widescreen high resolution version of the iBook G3, I'd likely be the first in line to buy one.



    We don't know for sure that upgraded PowerBooks will use the 7457 but that's what I assume. Any thoughts?




    A portable G5 will probably be in the same general heat range as the current G4 PB. A PB based on the 7457 won't be much cooler than the current PB because it'll be faster. Sure, at 1 GHz, a 7457 runs cooler than a 7455 at the same speed but rev it up to 1.33 or 1.4 GHz and the heat dissipation is roughly the same.
  • Reply 696 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Rolo

    A portable G5 will probably be in the same general heat range as the current G4 PB. A PB based on the 7457 won't be much cooler than the current PB because it'll be faster. Sure, at 1 GHz, a 7457 runs cooler than a 7455 at the same speed but rev it up to 1.33 or 1.4 GHz and the heat dissipation is roughly the same.



    Not quite; the G5 can step down its clock speed to save power and to produce less heat when you are just typing that letter in Word or are just entering data into those Excel sheets. If Apple's integration of the "mobile" G5 into the upcoming PB G5 will be good (and it better will, because Intel's Centrino stuff bases more or less just on this technique!), a next gen PowerBook will only fire up its full potential when you really need it.
  • Reply 697 of 873
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Rolo

    A portable G5 will probably be in the same general heat range as the current G4 PB. A PB based on the 7457 won't be much cooler than the current PB because it'll be faster. Sure, at 1 GHz, a 7457 runs cooler than a 7455 at the same speed but rev it up to 1.33 or 1.4 GHz and the heat dissipation is roughly the same.



    There's data available on the 7457 power use?
  • Reply 698 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ti Fighter

    www.macmall.com , www.macwarehouse.com , www.macconnection.com , etc... places that usually have free ram deals



    My wife is a teacher. Can I get the educational pricing that I can on apple's website at those places?



    I almost hit the buy now button last night on a 15" Pbook until I read what everyone said about the new one's coming out. I think I'll wait for them. Oh, and thank the good Lord for MSblast virus, it's made it easier for me to convince my clients that mac and/or linux is a more favorable OS.
  • Reply 699 of 873
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    This is just speculation and wondering what others think. Is there any chance the Rev B 12' will have the keyboard that lights up in the dark. That would be a sweet standard feature. Just wondering what others think.



    Thanks,



    Teddy
  • Reply 700 of 873
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    And here it is!!







    (tired of waiting)
Sign In or Register to comment.