Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I used to, but I frequent the place so often, most of them practically know me. The thing is, with an unrestricted administrator account and broadband, they should expect people to download apps and run them.

Absolutly. Moreover, they erase and restore the HD every night after closing so whatever anybody does each day has no long term negative impact on the computer. They are being over controlling.
  • Reply 122 of 153
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    Lol, I couldn't believe it. I walked into our local CompUSA and there it was. A brand spanking new G5. Score!
  • Reply 123 of 153
    The Applestore in Ala Moana has one 1.8 GHz in. I walked in today and it was just sitting there all alone. Dang it's big...
  • Reply 124 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zousan

The Applestore in Ala Moana has one 1.8 GHz in. I walked in today and it was just sitting there all alone. Dang it's big...

And Bad. Where is Ala Moana? Hawaii?
  • Reply 125 of 153
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I don't know. I just got back from the Palo Alto store. They let me borrow a firewire cable so that I could attach my firelite drive to the thing. I thought I would check out how fast it would do searches and stuff in iPhoto (with some informal benchmarking it seems to take about 1/4 the time my PBG4 500 takes; okay but not terribly impressive).

Anyway, I am surprised they gave you a hard time because they certainly didn't seem to care what I was doing. Some other guy was trying to open it up and a sales woman came over and helped him. I didn't get the impression they were being uptight at all.
  • Reply 126 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Anyway, I am surprised they gave you a hard time because they certainly didn't seem to care what I was doing. Some other guy was trying to open it up and a sales woman came over and helped him. I didn't get the impression they were being uptight at all.

There's an older looking short brown-haired saleswoman that was really giddy over the G5. She didn't mind. The sales dude who forced me to quit PSBench had short blond hair. I'd bet he's the ONLY one in the store who disapproved.
  • Reply 127 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

And Bad. Where is Ala Moana? Hawaii?

It's a large mall in Honolulu.

-- Mark
  • Reply 128 of 153
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    It's the first day of classes at San Francisco State University. I walked into the bookstore, not expecting to see anything. I spotted three G5 boxes in the pile of newly received stuff. One was marked "Display" but no one seemed very eager to set it up. I think they were all 1.6 GHz models, but if anything is different, I'll report back.
  • Reply 129 of 153
    Quote:

Build quality is off the charts. A small group of PC guys was drooling over it.

I'm waiting for a rev. B myself, but I'm very impressed in person. It's gorgeous.

Good to see the PC guys drooling. Heh. I can't wait to see the build quality myself. Everybody is raving about that.

Rev B?

Be still my beating heart...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 130 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Good to see the PC guys drooling. Heh. I can't wait to see the build quality myself. Everybody is raving about that.

Rev B?

Be still my beating heart...

Lemon Bon Bon

If I have to read another poster writing about waiting for "Rev B" I am going to PUKE. This is not your average Rev A computer. This is the beginning of a revolution - not only for G5 owners, but also for all the poor folks that will be able to afford strong MDD and FW800 G4 PowerMacs as their resale value drops to below $999 next year.

I for one want to be a part of the G5 Rev A to vote with my pocketbook that Steve Jobs and the Apple Engineering Team are all Gods worthy of trusting and not waiting for the next version. This will be a collector's edition for years to come and I for one will keep my Rev A dual 2 G5 for the rest of my life for that reason alone. You have to see one of these beauties in person to understand what I am writing about.
  • Reply 131 of 153
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I was going to wait, but then I realized that Apple had spent more than two years designing this thing, and that the design probably been refined a thousand times already. So I'll buy one when they're for sale.
  • Reply 132 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Build quality is off the charts. A small group of PC guys was drooling over it.

Good. I was afraid it would feel like cheap sheet metal, just waiting to be dented. I'm relieved.
  • Reply 133 of 153
    1.6 and 1.8 GHz machines both on display at 3rd St. Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA. Just don't touch them, or the security guard will rip your head off. Seriously. I was there for 10 minutes and he walked over 4 times to tell people not to touch them.

I officially hate the keyboard and mouse. USB on the back? Stupid. And white?? Not sure I like that either. Guess I'm too used to my black keyboard/mouse.

Tough to tell in the store, but definitely quieter than my Dual 533 at home. The opening of the CD-tray seeme excessively noisy.

Also, funny how much bigger the tower looks with the side panel ON versus having it off.

One guy next to me opend a couple of windows, launched photoshop and opened an image, closed it and said, "Wow, I expected it to be a lot faster than this...." Guh.

---------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 134 of 153
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Demo on display at CompUSA in Sunrise Florida. Apple guy wasn't in but a red shirt reponded to a question from a customer, "How much?" He replied, "Apple hasn't made a price decision... you know the way they are". I said, "what?" Told the customer to go to the Apple Store in Boca Raton if you're interested. Told the redshirt, "Apple has prices posted on its website." He made a face and walked away. Customer thanked me and said he'd check when he got home. And the beat goes on.
  • Reply 135 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

1.6 and 1.8 GHz machines both on display at 3rd St. Promenade Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA. Just don't touch them, or the security guard will rip your head off. Seriously. I was there for 10 minutes and he walked over 4 times to tell people not to touch them.

I officially hate the keyboard and mouse. USB on the back? Stupid. And white?? Not sure I like that either. Guess I'm too used to my black keyboard/mouse.

Tough to tell in the store, but definitely quieter than my Dual 533 at home. The opening of the CD-tray seeme excessively noisy.

Also, funny how much bigger the tower looks with the side panel ON versus having it off.

One guy next to me opend a couple of windows, launched photoshop and opened an image, closed it and said, "Wow, I expected it to be a lot faster than this...." Guh.

---------------

RosettaStoned

That is insane. At the Santa Clara Apple Store they ENCOURAGED US TO TOUCH IT. We took the door off the side, removed the plastic air flow cover and poked around inside all we wanted. Tell the manager that other Apple Stores are letting the customers look inside and touch it all they want. Creeps.

As for the speed, yes the 1.6 and 1.8 are Posers Wannabees not the real deals. The dual 2 is really the only one to consider getting. It is so much more for so little more money.
  • Reply 136 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Demo on display at CompUSA in Sunrise Florida. Apple guy wasn't in but a red shirt reponded to a question from a customer, "How much?" He replied, "Apple hasn't made a price decision... you know the way they are". I said, "what?" Told the customer to go to the Apple Store in Boca Raton if you're interested. Told the redshirt, "Apple has prices posted on its website." He made a face and walked away. Customer thanked me and said he'd check when he got home. And the beat goes on.

IDIOTS! Can you say $2000, $2400 and $3000?
  • Reply 137 of 153
    The CompUSA in Knoxville,TN has a 1.6 on display.
  • Reply 138 of 153
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Our local Comp USA has a 1.6Ghz, but it's a demo model, and not for sale.
  • Reply 139 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

As for the speed, yes the 1.6 and 1.8 are Posers Wannabees not the real deals. The dual 2 is really the only one to consider getting. It is so much more for so little more money.

That's bullshit, in my all-mighty opinion. You're paying $600 for another processor, I slightly better GPU, and....what? RAM's the same, HDs the same...and both have the same number of slots and ports. I think that the 1.8 is the deal.

You're calling people tht don't buy the most expensive model posers and wannabees? Grow up.

Apologies in advance.
  • Reply 140 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That's bullshit, in my all-mighty opinion. You're paying $600 for another processor, I slightly better GPU, and....what? RAM's the same, HDs the same...and both have the same number of slots and ports. I think that the 1.8 is the deal.

You're calling people tht don't buy the most expensive model posers and wannabees? Grow up.

Apologies in advance.

Thank you. I think the dual 2 G5 is way worth the extra money. I could be wrong. But I'm not.

As for calling people names, I was not at all. I was calling the single processor G5's names. 1.6 is Poser while 1.8 is Wannabee.