Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

1222324252628»

Comments

• Reply 541 of 552
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You mean me? I'm not Paul. I'm Sammy. (aka torifile)

No, I mean the post three above your initial pointing this out. Look at the poster's name. Sheesh.

Now stop bumping the thread!

Kids these days...
  • Reply 542 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

No, I mean the post three above your initial pointing this out. Look at the poster's name. Sheesh.

Now stop bumping the thread!

Kids these days...

Sorry.

d'oh, just bumped the thread. I'll stop now....
  • Reply 543 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

ill take that dare....

That is sick man!
  • Reply 544 of 552
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by conny

That is sick man!

A fantastic example of what powerful tools can let us idiots do.
  • Reply 545 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

A fantastic example of what powerful tools can let us idiots do.

i have 10.3 installed on a 2 gig partition. doing that made it run out of scratch disk space and i got (gasp!) a low memory error!
  • Reply 546 of 552
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

i have 10.3 installed on a 2 gig partition. doing that made it run out of scratch disk space and i got (gasp!) a low memory error!

OMG! This is, in fact, a dangerous thing. You could screw up your HFS file structure. There have been known issues when HFS partitions died after they ran out of space. I guess it has to do with OS unable to write the latest FS modifications to the disk.

I suggest you file the bug report to Apple. Either Panther shouldn't install on such a small partition, or... I don't know what.
  • Reply 547 of 552
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

OMG! This is, in fact, a dangerous thing. You could screw up your HFS file structure. There have been known issues when HFS partitions died after they ran out of space. I guess it has to do with OS unable to write the latest FS modifications to the disk.

I suggest you file the bug report to Apple. Either Panther shouldn't install on such a small partition, or... I don't know what.

I don't know all of that. I think OS X has gotten a good deal better with disk hygiene (not that it was bad before) with Panther: when plugging in my iPod, it prompted me instantaneously that I had little disk space left, and that I'd better remove some stuff. Of course, I'm not down with that. My early 10 GBs are always filled to the brim. Although, come to think of it, I had to factory-restore my iPod yesterday.

\
  • Reply 548 of 552
    Quote:

i had to chop down the install (fonts, iapps, printer drivers) to get it to install. That picture and the error message was taken over a week ago, and im still chugging along on panther just fine.
  • Reply 549 of 552
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And of course this is with a WWDC/7A** build right?

Otherwise, I'm sure the fine folks over in the 7B** build thread would like to see your screenshot.
  • Reply 550 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Well...that answers that.

No wait... It's Cocoa apps that refuse to go under the dock! I guess the finder is Cocoa! Hooray! Now we might be able to operate Metallifizer on it.
  • Reply 551 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

No on the dragging and dropping to a folder within a folder in the Dock.

Check this out though: if you Command-Tab, it no longer uses the Dock! All the icons for all the open apps pop up in the middle of the screen, can you can choose them by Command-tabbing or with your mouse! That's great!

Sounds like a basic version of LiteSwitch X.
  • Reply 552 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Carbon? Cocoa?

*sigh*

Guys. Seriously. At this point does it really MATTER if it's cocoa or carbon? I mean, if Carbon has gotten good enough that you can't tell the difference superficially and have to resort to odd trickery like the above to find obscure behavior differences, I think the debate it pointless.

Metallifzer puts Aqua or Metal into Cocoa apps, but not Carbon, so it does matter.