New PowerMac pictures leaked

Comments

• Reply 221 of 688
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>anyone save a pic of that new board and case from the french site?

i've now learned how to say "removed at the request of apple legal" in french.

damn bastards must be up all night.</strong><hr></blockquote>

so what if i did?
  • Reply 222 of 688
    gizwaldgizwald Posts: 39member
    It's very possible that this is an old case that apple was using back in 2001, when working out the layout for the new MOBO. I think that this looks a bit unrefined to be a final release. The new case could have the same internal layout, but different plastics on the outside. Wouldn't suprise me if Apple held on to old 'elcap until the G5 comes out.

But don't listen to me, I'm always wrong.
  • Reply 223 of 688
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    OK, PS'ers: based on new known DVD/CD drive , bezel and speaker palcement, hack this up:

Addison, this means you!

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: zaz ]</p>
  • Reply 224 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by mooseman:

<strong>...well, cipher, to respond....

...the reason the tape is all over it is because it a new puter straight out of the box, most likely. If you have ever unpacked a new G4 that plastic is covered with protective plastic on all parts. But those are defintiely the same handles as the ones on the QS sittin right here in front of me.

And the reason I think its a new puter is because, most likely is was supposed to ship at MWNY, but either sales were too slow to clear out the old models, or there is a shortage of chips to fill orders. More than likely, its a channel inventory problem. So, could be this photo comes from a dude in a warehouse somewhere.

As for the front panel everyone is asking about, I'd say it has to do with plastic quality issues. Anyone who has a QSG4 knows what I'm talking about. The QS forms little flow lines around and between the front panel drive bay doors. I'm sure this is to reduce or prevent these unsightly blemishes.. Its easier to mold the plastic around a large opening like this than two small openings like on the current QS.

But, its definitely a real and different case on the inside. And as for SDRAM, DDR RAM is SDRAM.

Also, the speaker is defintely a different design than on the current QS. It looks more flush than the deeply setback one on my QS.

Oh, and to those wondering about vertical HDs, anyone who has owned a Cube knows that Apple has shipped vertically mounted HDs before.

No doubt, this is the exact same board that appeared on eBay a while back. And, it will be nice to have hardware RAID on board, if that chip set supports it (which I would think it would, why else put 2 IDE ports for HDs).

All in all, I'm excited to see this case. Still has the great easy open design of the current design, but throws in DDR, dual IDE, and 2 5.25 external drive bays. Very nice, very nice.

BTW, the front panel may be polished, Apple is moving in that polished chrome direction with the iPod, iMac, etc.

I guess we'll know for sure August 13th?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In my post I explained my reasoning re. the plastic - they don't get packaged like that. Look how rough, messy it is - wouldn't happen. It's been thrown on to hide certain things, and allow reasonable doubt as to certain qualities this machine possesses.

You don't know that that case is the same as the one the motherboards are from, and we cannot assume so. I doubt they are, bcause this picture is absolutely a fake.

I think the QS speaker looks better; not to mention this speaker is misshapen, and again, a cheap chop job.

I hope this isn't of any semblance to the final... 2 drive bays? Please. It's better than one, but there should be three, at least.

[quote]Originally posted by ihxo:

<strong>

.... DDR is SDRam ....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I know... I never said it wasn't a DDR mobo... just stated that whatever the mobo looks like, it *has* to be DDR.
  • Reply 225 of 688
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    anyone have these pics,i missed them. thanks
  • Reply 226 of 688
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    maybe it's suppose to be 0.7 lbs
  • Reply 227 of 688
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ah, more reasons to dislike Cipher13. Nobody can tell if the photos are fake. I'm pretty much 100% sure there's been no intentional photoshopping. The only thing obvious is the horizontal squeeze, which seems unintentional.

Three 5.25" drive bays? Most OEM PCs don't even have that. PCI slots are more important than drive bays since external drives are much more popular these days...thank the hot pluggability of FireWire and USB 2. With 4 64-bit PCI slots, that's basically plenty for the average pro.

besides, my Power Mac G4 came in a plastic/foam shroud that covered it up. Have you ever seen fresh bare cases shipped to the Apple plant in Sacramento? They come caked in layers of plastic sheets.

These may not be the final case, but it's not "Photochopped." besides, these people had access to photos of a motherboard that looks just like the infamous eBay "red board," and a close-up shot of a G4 CPU on a riser that doesn't match anything we've seen before.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 228 of 688
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>and XYPE:

don't go talking about your first computer havng 2Mb of memory and a 20Mb hard drive.....some of use grew up on Atari's and Commodores sporting 64k of on-board memory! We were lucky since the sinclair people had two ants and a beetle in lieu of RAM. Hard drives? In your dreams.

D</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh, I had a sinclair alright (if that's the blue rubber button rainbow thing) but refuse to really think of it as a computer...
  • Reply 229 of 688
    skullmacskullmac Posts: 71member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cipher13:<strong>

In my post I explained my reasoning re. the plastic - they don't get packaged like that. Look how rough, messy it is - wouldn't happen. It's been thrown on to hide certain things, and allow reasonable doubt as to certain qualities this machine possesses.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uuuuhhhh... Have you personally unpacked a QS Tower lately?

[quote]<strong>

You don't know that that case is the same as the one the motherboards are from, and we cannot assume so. I doubt they are, bcause this picture is absolutely a fake.

Well, the layout of that mobo in one of the pics seems to match perfectly with the layout of the components on the front of the case. In the mobo pic, you can even see the grill on the back of the front air vents. In addition, the position of the CD bays jives with the height of the PCI cards. If I had to bet $100, I'd say that case and that mobo go together.

[quote]<strong>

I think the QS speaker looks better; not to mention this speaker is misshapen, and again, a cheap chop job.

Uhuh... so? It's a bad photo. What more do you want? I suppose you'd believe it if Steve came up and handed you the photo. It's obvious the speaker is misshapen because the photo has been squashed horizontally.

[quote]<strong>

I hope this isn't of any semblance to the final... 2 drive bays? Please. It's better than one, but there should be three, at least.

Boo hoo! You get twice the number of CD bays you have right now, and you still complain? What would *you personally* put in the empty bay if the machine ships with a combo drive or super drive?

[quote]<strong>

Yes, I know... I never said it wasn't a DDR mobo... just stated that whatever the mobo looks like, it *has* to be DDR.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You sure about that one?

[quote]<strong>

SDRAM feeding a G5? Yeah right... the G4 is starved as it is.

They NEED DDR to feed the damn things to get any performance increase, or it'll seem just like a G4 with a fancy new name.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
  • Reply 230 of 688
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    Oh, and as for the heatsink - since Apple lags behind as far as clockrates go I could imagine a bit of an overclocked G4 or maybe a POWER chip? But then, I doubt people would be ok with a machine thats _too_ heavy..
  • Reply 231 of 688
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    [quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>anyone have these pics,i missed them. thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3896512~root=macdsl~mode=flat#3896512"; target="_blank">http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3896512~root=macdsl~mode=flat#3896512</a>;
  • Reply 232 of 688
    I'm not sure if anybody posted this already, but Apple legal forced the website to remove the picts. So I guess either this is one giant prank or the picts are real.
  • Reply 233 of 688
    pb g3pb g3 Posts: 95member
    Les photos du nouveau G4 ont été retiré Ã* la demande des avocats d'Apple. Merci de ne pas me demander de les envoyer par mail je ne le ferai pas.

En tout cas, c'est la preuve qu'elles étaient certainement vraies...

Direct Translation: The photos of the new G4 were taken down by demand of Apple's lawyers. Thanks for not asking me to email them to you because I would not do it. In any case, this is proof that they were certainly real.
  • Reply 234 of 688
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Edit: Already mentioned

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
  • Reply 235 of 688
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    [quote]Originally posted by ThatGuy:

<strong>

Now, admittedly I have no idea what I'm doing, so these numbers could be way off. I saw someplace else that the heatsink is purportedly enormous, 7 inches by 6 inches by 7 inches. That's 294 cubic inches.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, a cube that size of Al cut down to a heatsink would weigh about 7lbs. Problem is that a heatsink that big could cool a nice-sized 2 stroke engine with a bit more airflow.

And a heatsink that is 6" deep makes little sense. The high surface area of the fins would require an enourmous heat gradiant for the fins to be useful after a certain distance. You'd need a CPU running at over 100C to justify that and it'll start fatiguing components if those temps are blowing around. G4s rarely run (for long) over 50C.

It doesn't make any sense to me...
  • Reply 236 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by johnsonwax:

<strong>

Yeah, a cube that size of Al cut down to a heatsink would weigh about 7lbs. Problem is that a heatsink that big could cool a nice-sized 2 stroke engine with a bit more airflow.

And a heatsink that is 6" deep makes little sense. The high surface area of the fins would require an enourmous heat gradiant for the fins to be useful after a certain distance. You'd need a CPU running at over 100C to justify that and it'll start fatiguing components if those temps are blowing around. G4s rarely run (for long) over 50C.

It doesn't make any sense to me...</strong><hr></blockquote>

what about 2 or 4 processors? I'm no engineer but 2x50C=100C?
  • Reply 237 of 688
    More tidbits from MacRumors:

- the door mechanism has been totally redesigned, instead of plastic hooks, it is all metal. Only the round hole handle is plastic, which actuates metal u-shaped hooks which slide in and catch; very smooth, no more slamming closed; and nearly impossible to break open with lock, metal on metal.

- the modem stays the same but in new location.

- the 4 decorative holes in the front are for show, but also allow air intake for the 'turbine' fan sitting in front of teh heatsink (with door closed), the turbine fan speeds up and slows down depending on tempurature. An extra fan in the door ventilates the MLB and dual CD drives (vents galore).

- BlueTooth will NOT be included, it will be as is now, a USB addon

• Reply 238 of 688
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    hey...I like the new case....it looks real....believable at least....I think the cd drives are too low on the front(I don't mind them not at the top...but they are still a bit low for my liking)

but other than that....the case is slick.

and he new iMac it would look even better(just as the new iMac looked even better when seen next to other apple products)

I'm pleased.
  • Reply 239 of 688
    pathogenpathogen Posts: 36member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>hey...I like the new case....it looks real....believable at least....I think the cd drives are too low on the front(I don't mind them not at the top...but they are still a bit low for my liking)

but other than that....the case is slick.

and he new iMac it would look even better(just as the new iMac looked even better when seen next to other apple products)

I'm pleased.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree, I think the case looks sexy.

Seems to me that the biggest shame is that the picture was taken with a video camera (on it's side - interlacing, stretched DV ratio) where the white balance makes it look white.

That puppy is light-silver!
  • Reply 240 of 688
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    What I can't understand is why other sites like Spymac and Macboulie are required to remove pic's and yet this site seems immune.

Can any one explain this?