HP to Make branded iPods!

Comments

• Reply 141 of 173
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Time to restate the obvious.

The iPod mini is priced within reasonabl expectations.

Creative MuVo^2 4 GB - $299 web special, $349 MSRP.

Rio Nitrus 4 GB - $299

iRiver iGP-100 1.5 GB - $211 on Amazon, $249 MSRP
  • Reply 142 of 173
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    One more thing... HP has a greater presence in those outlets than the numbers convey.

I worked in Staples (an HP reseller) for the better part of my High School career. HP was the only company that regularly had a rep in to see the store (about once a week). HP has big deals with these outlets on product placements. HP has big incentives for the store employees to sell HP.

And it made a difference.

Every store employee pushed HP, and pushed it hard. And, even though my coworkers were staunchly anti-Apple, they all LOVED iPod.

Granted, this is only one store, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is typical. These suckers will sell.
  • Reply 143 of 173
    What interests me the most as an Apple stock holder is what is really in this for Apple? They MUST be getting a cut from each of the hp branded ipods. Of course they benefit from exposure to ITMS on hp machines and the shear volume of people that will be exposed to Apple's products/software. Am I wrong to think this is going to be a huge moneymaker for Apple? Very interesting and exciting times(finally)
  • Reply 144 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by terry123

What interests me the most as an Apple stock holder is what is really in this for Apple? They MUST be getting a cut from each of the hp branded ipods. Of course they benefit from exposure to ITMS on hp machines and the shear volume of people that will be exposed to Apple's products/software. Am I wrong to think this is going to be a huge moneymaker for Apple? Very interesting and exciting times(finally)

Of course Apple will get a cut. It's their hardware and software design. Even more important is the social implication. Why do you think its official name is the HP Digital Music Player? HP realizes that no matter how jazzy a name they give it, the public will identify it as one thing, an iPod. That is ENORMOUS.
  • Reply 145 of 173
    Why dont they just call it the iPod?
  • Reply 146 of 173
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It will be interesting, maybe just my hopes, that Apple sells more iPods (or even a close figure) than Hp sells of its brethren because it would say a LOT about the caché of the iPod brand. I shouldn't even say more iPods; selling a disproportionate number of Apple iPods (proper) relative to the HP units when considering the latter's very wide availability would say a lot about that alone.
  • Reply 147 of 173
    It's kind of interesting how the Hpod, will be sold, not as an iPod....do you think that a year or two from now HP iPods will be saturating the market, and apple iPods will be cast in a shadow?
  • Reply 148 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

It's kind of interesting how the Hpod, will be sold, not as an iPod....do you think that a year or two from now HP iPods will be saturating the market, and apple iPods will be cast in a shadow?

No, because HP will be selling 3G iPods in the Summer while Apple will be moving on...
  • Reply 149 of 173
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    So presumably then Stevie knows that 4G will hit the streets at the same timeish and is more than happy to give up some number potentially knowing minime will be at a lower price ($199 or so) and 4G will offer something snazzy worth owning over 3G..

It works well which either way
  • Reply 150 of 173
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Why dont they just call it the iPod?

because they don't NEED to... it ALREADY is an iPod... no matter what they call it...

PS the official name from HP is "digital music player" (hp's that is)
  • Reply 151 of 173
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    I don't think HP will sell older generations of the iPod than Apple, this would not make sence.

By selling the same products they will benefit in many ways, notably by (in a way) sharing marketing expences, by not having to produce several generations at the same time and with the added bonus that third party add-ons will work on any Pod, regardless of logo on the back.

I do, however, believe that when Apple introduces something new (i.e. a bigger top iPod, a redesigned mini or the new micro) they will have it "for themselves" for the first month or two, and then let the rebranders (HP, Hitachi, Toshiba, Gateway etc ) have it.

Also, the rebranders will just buy the products directly from Apple - cannot see why Apple would let them produce the pods/make their own deals with the manufacturers. HP will probably sell more pods than Apple, if Apple were to let HP control the manufacturing HP would probably be able to sell their pods cheaper (or at a bigger profit) than Apple.

Apple will ship the rebranded pods to their rebranders, charging rebranders $X more than Apples own base cost, thus being able to match the rebranders prices (and avoiding previous Clone problems).

Simple. Brilliant.
  • Reply 152 of 173
    apple's getting mony no matter who sells what, as long as its an ipod. so what if hp has cheap ones.. apple still gets the money, and i'm sure the next 5 years will give apple a huge gain in marketshare in EVERY category, so this is only a first step.
  • Reply 153 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

because they don't NEED to... it ALREADY is an iPod... no matter what they call it...

PS the official name from HP is "digital music player" (hp's that is)

this could be the first step towards the widespread vernacular adoption of the term 'iPod' for use as your portable music device. 8)
  • Reply 154 of 173
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    HOM: great sig...parliment is a fav of mine...the "first dance" song at my wedding was "I've been watching you" the way you move your sexy body"...ahhh memories....

sorry, back on topic, good for apple...more sells of iPods = niceness

g
  • Reply 155 of 173
    Quote:

Originally posted by terry123

Apple isnt getting "a cut" at all. They are SELLING the re-branded iPods (nee: HP Music Player) to HP. They are manufacturing them (through a third party) and delivering them to HP. HP is not making them. They make money right at the beginning. Sales through the bundled iTunes/iTMS on HP computers will help Apple eventually start making money on the download service. This is a win-win-win-win situation for Apple and a way for HP to get out under the shackles of M$ even if it is in a small way.
  • Reply 156 of 173
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    "No Walkman/ CD Players/iPods allowed at camp" : Just waiting to see that on a list of stuff. Walkman is synonymous with a Portable Cassette player.

There is nothing that can hurt Apple in this deal. They are still selling ($$$$) iPods, mind the name, and are getting a shortcut on the desktop.

Now, this may sound a little Microsoft-esque with the Internet Explorer thing on the desktop, then again no one is making it the default: You would not have to use it. Let us wait until we get some real product photography and not some video before we bash the color. IT IS THE SAME PRODUCT!
  • Reply 157 of 173
    What's the big deal about the color? The HP Digital Music Player is not for Mac buyers (unless you like the color). Such hand-wringing!
  • Reply 158 of 173
    Great news. Well done Apple. HP are effectively a re-seller of iPod and iTMS for Apple.
  • Reply 159 of 173
    One more thing. Almost lost in all of this is that Quicktime will also be bundled with iTunes.
  • Reply 160 of 173
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    My mind is just boggled by the retail presence of HP and what that means for the iPod. If it's in all 110,000 retail locations, and each of those sell 1 per week, we're talking 1 MILLION iPods a quarter. That's at a clip of 1 per WEEK. Surely some will sell way more than that. I'm in awe. I am worried about market saturation, though. How many people need iPods?