DHuge busts da iPod mini commercial - check it out, cats

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
-================-

Imagine, it is 1989 and you are sitting on an inner city stoop. You see a "Jazzy Jeff" type guy walking past you on the sidewalk, wearing those amazing baggy, bright red jumpsuits, with a Nike headband, and a massive gold chain. Of course he would be carrying a Boombox on his shoulder, one of those enormous ones, while blasting the latest "hip hop" music, probably Run DMC or maybe "Brand New FunK" from Will Smith and Jazzy.

Then, around the corner comes another guy, wearing the same type of clothes, the Adidas sneakers with a half zipped warm up suit and a "wife beater" t-shirt underneath it. The only difference is, his music is being blasted into his ears on an iPod mini! He is holding it on his shoulder like a boombox would have been.

The reactions of the two guys faces are shown when they see each other.

Voice over: The new iPod mini, yeah it is very small. Over 1,000 songs, somewhere in your pocket.

Fade to white Apple logo on black screen.

-=================-

Apple can get away with this kind of "cutesy" advertising with the iPod because people know it, it is ubiquitous in our society now. Lets not start a thread about Apples advertising overall, just for the iPod or the mini. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I know just the man to make up some concept ads. Get to work.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I know just the man to make up some concept ads. Get to work.

• Reply 3 of 90
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    You really have something going on about the mini, don't ya Messiahtosh? How many more threads are you going to start about the mini?
  • Reply 4 of 90
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    ipod mini spoksman:

GARY COLMEN, he has been out of work since i was born, he could use the money and can ya get mor '80s than Gary?
  • Reply 5 of 90
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, I'm not one to break from tradition...so I suggest something as vague and meaningless to the average person on the street as possible.

Make sure it only appeals to - or excites - current Mac geeks so we can be sure to download and view the QuickTime versions of them from Apple's website. Whatever you do, write and film it so it goes completely over the heads of 95% of the viewing public and does nothing to entice or attract them.

Oh, and make it self-consciously quirky or cute for no apparent reason. Maybe have Baby Jack using one on an airplane, sitting between Yao and Vern?

Oh, and put an army tank in it at the end if you can. That always goes over well and grabs people's attention. Hell, grab 2 or 3 of the more unattractive and inarticulate "Switchers" to be sitting on the tank, since they did so well the last time around. People can't get enough of those guys.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

He meant you.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    I am setting out to make this commercial. I'll post it here when I'm finished.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    How about the 'opposite' of the ipod commercial? Black background, and white silloheoutes(sp?) dancing with their colorful mini ipods.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    What have I done? WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:

We'll see wont we? Its going to be funny, I have a lot of funny people that want to be involved. It will be good, this kid Dan I know...his facial expressions will be perfect.

We're gonna shoot it as soon as I get my mini this week.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Quote:

That's what you get, mother****er. Bet you'll learn to keep your yap closed now.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    It's funny that every non Mac user I have told this idea to and asked for their participation, have all given me positive responses. They told me that its a cool idea and would love to help out.

It seems like you all critisize me and not my content, based on the past. My latest piece of work was a film noir movie I made called "The Antics of Romantics" which won first place at my high school talent show...

We'll see how well this turns out, so please stop insinuating that I am somehow horrible at making movies, when infact you may have not even seen my work. And please, dont ever question my committment to the Mac and my enthusiasm for it. I take a lot of time to think nowadays about what I am going to do and how I am going to do it. Whether it be making a movie, writing a thread, or setting my goals in life. Thanks, lol.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by nwhysee

How about the 'opposite' of the ipod commercial? Black background, and white silloheoutes(sp?) dancing with their colorful mini ipods.

Problem with that idea is that it isn't t the right metaphor. The iPod mini is not meant to be looked at as an 'opposite' to the iPod.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Problem with that idea is that it isn't t the right metaphor. The iPod mini is not meant to be looked at as an 'opposite' to the iPod.

Right. If there were a mini commercial to UNconfuse customers as to what the mini is all about and who its for, the commercial would need to underscore the small form factor.

The boombox to the mini just exaggerates that point to the maximum. The voice over in my commercial that has been decided by my group is: "1,000 songs in your pocket or maybe even on your shoulder...Small, colorful, active, and fun, the new iPod mini. From Apple."
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Oh God, the only taglines cornier than that would be:

"A thousand songs to go."

"A thousand songs out on a limb."

"It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it."
  • Reply 16 of 90
    Quote:

Oh God, the only taglines cornier than that would be:

"A thousand songs to go."

"A thousand songs out on a limb."

"It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it."

I think it falls in line with Apple commercial voice overs...Apple's are cornier, "There is no step 3"
  • Reply 17 of 90
    So tell me why are you're aping them?

Have a commercial that shows the mini being used as a ninja star, or one where it grows limbs and trots around like the Lord of the Dance. Do something crazy! Have Timberlake come in and rip off it's right breast-cup.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    Quote:

So tell me why are you're aping them?

Have a commercial that shows the mini being used as a ninja star, or one where it grows limbs and trots around like the Lord of the Dance. Do something crazy! Have Timberlake come in and rip off it's right breast-cup.

Are you insane? How about a real ad? My idea is to do something Apple WOULD do, not something ridiculous and beyond the scope of my budget.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Yes, Timberlake is expensive to get, I hear.

You might be able to get one of those four other twerps for $50 or so.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    The commercial is not done, this is just a trial run. I think it looks ok but needs the REAL iPod so we stayed away from showing it. But overall you get the idea...its pretty funny I think. The end is weird because the iPod is the mini Quicktime VR and it got crunched into a smaller size when I imported the file into iMovie.

Here are two still frames from the commercial.

I get my iPod mini this friday so we are going to reshoot with that instead of the paper cutout.

BTW, the music is LL Cool J's "I cant live without my radio"

"I Can't Live Without My iPod"

Fixed the file so it is 3 MB, enjoy!