The Passion of the Christ

1192021222325»

Comments

• Reply 481 of 493
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Sounds about right....

Gibson obviously took the feelings of Evangelicals into account when making the film, even though he's Catholic. He took out the so-called "Blood Curse", even though that dialogue appears in every known surviving text in existence.

He showed the film to thousands of clergy in advance, cautioning that it was unfinished. He even included some Jewish writers and commentators who had not criticized the film in public without seeing it.

What more would you have had him do? Post the film on AppleInsider so you could personally approve it first?
  • Reply 482 of 493
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Just amazing,,

Quote:

A Texas man has been prompted by Mel Gibson's Passion film to confess he killed his girlfriend, a police spokesman has said.

Dan Leach, 21, said he killed pregnant girlfriend Ashley Nicole Wilson, found dead on 18 January, Fort Bend County Sheriff's Department said.

"He mentioned that speaking with a friend and seeing the movie made him feel remorse," police added.

Taken from This Link

I was very curious to hear what some people in the UK said about the movie. Very cool.

UK response

Fellows
  • Reply 483 of 493
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm not sure what to make of this, but there has been a church group bus, with the windows blacked out, camped at the local movie theater since it opened. the troupe, from what i can tell, sees it EVERY NIGHT (this assumption from a random sampling of me going to a couple of movies and seeing them all, dressed exactly the same, going in to see it over the past few weeks. the blacked out windows have various "repent and you will be saved" messages written on the outside. they also seem to have at least six or so chaperons (sp?).

needless to say, this has given me the creeps. isn't this what they do for brainwashing cults?
  • Reply 484 of 493
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i'm not sure what to make of this, but there has been a church group bus, with the windows blacked out, camped at the local movie theater since it opened. the troupe, from what i can tell, sees it EVERY NIGHT (this assumption from a random sampling of me going to a couple of movies and seeing them all, dressed exactly the same, going in to see it over the past few weeks. the blacked out windows have various "repent and you will be saved" messages written on the outside. they also seem to have at least six or so chaperons (sp?).

needless to say, this has given me the creeps. isn't this what they do for brainwashing cults?

All I know is that this is not a film I would watch over and over. I have seen it for the last time. The first was the last time for me. I am not sure what you are seeing in your area but it could be strange.

Who knows.

Fellows
  • Reply 485 of 493
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    The bible has plenty of violence, if that is what you want to call it, in it. So the bible acknowledges that it exists.

So I am not sure why some say they condemn this movie for it's violence.
  • Reply 486 of 493
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

The bible has plenty of violence, if that is what you want to call it, in it. So the bible acknowledges that it exists.

So I am not sure why some say they condemn this movie for it's violence.

OH COME ON!!!

Don't you know that Dawn of the Dead was good, clean, brain eating fun; while The Passion was full of dangerous violence?

Makes perfect sense. Perfecto.
  • Reply 487 of 493
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yeah, they interviewed the mother of the pregnant girl (8 mos.) he killed last night. I was very sympathetic with her as she admitted that she really can't stand his using the movie as impetus for his confession. It seemed to her that people are forgetting the issue -- he plotted to make her death look suicidal, and succeeded (and this from being a religious fan of the TV show CSI). Tis no sane individual.
  • Reply 488 of 493
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I just saw the Passion, once yesterday and once tonight with my parents.

I think it is cinematically one of the best movies I have ever seen, Gibson has an incredible eye for what he wants. More than that though, he delievered visuals that go in line with what I imagine that part of the bible to be like.

I was overcome with emotion the first time I saw it, peope leave the theatre silent, like exiting a church.

To me, there is no way that this movie can be percieved as anti-semetic in any way, shape, or form. It is the facts of history that can be interpreted by unknowledgeable or impressionable people, maybe touchy people, that would say this movie is anti-semetic. I find it to be accurate.

Overall, just a powerful movie that could change the lives of a lot of people. "Truly, this is the son of God."

Seeing the Passion did more for me than many Gospel readings at church have done.
  • Reply 489 of 493
    After the cursory viewing of a VCD of the filmed medieval play, it's equal to the lunatic ravings of that crazy Anne-Catherine Emmerich which might have influenced the screenplay. Fundamentally, not all that different from many ultra-violent flicks we've these last years, save the superficial resemblence to some imagery from darker ages and the pious pretenses.

The bottom line is, as we say in Aramaic: istra balagina ?kish-kish!? karya.
  • Reply 490 of 493
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

...as we say in Aramaic: istra balagina ?kish-kish!? karya.

I love that song. Iron Butterfly...right?
  • Reply 491 of 493
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i'm not sure what to make of this, but there has been a church group bus, with the windows blacked out, camped at the local movie theater since it opened. the troupe, from what i can tell, sees it EVERY NIGHT (this assumption from a random sampling of me going to a couple of movies and seeing them all, dressed exactly the same, going in to see it over the past few weeks. the blacked out windows have various "repent and you will be saved" messages written on the outside. they also seem to have at least six or so chaperons (sp?). Needless to say, this has given me the creeps. isn't this what they do for brainwashing cults?

That's not a "church" -- You're right, it's a cult! I hope the police are keeping an eye on their every move. (Geesh. I wonder whose paying for their tickets and popcorn?)

Are there more of them out there just below the surface? No doubt.

Yahoo! It's Popular to be Catholic

Take care,

Exsulent
  • Reply 492 of 493
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I love that song. Iron Butterfly...right?

Too funny.

I had to check your age, 709. Anyone who remembers Iron Butterfly had to be born somewhere in the vacinity of my own.

Exsulent