The Obligatory 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 249
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Get your derisive Eddie chant in good order... every goal he lets in youz guyz need ta get in that loony head of his. I am a little worried though that Philly might be a little off the mark in game one while Toronto will still have that game 7 mindset probably. Hopefully the Flyers had a competitive, full-contact practice yesterday and a good skate this morning.
  • Reply 102 of 249
    so with my Nucks out, playoff interest is waning, but I did note tonight's scores

Philly beats Toronto 3-1

Flames beat Wings 2-1 in OT (methinks Calgary may start to believe they're destined)

and the Sharks are all over the Avs 5-1 in the 2nd
  • Reply 103 of 249
    I would've been here gloating about the Leafs win over the Sens but I was on vacation in Vancouver (nice town, crap team).

Now I don't feel like gloating. I just feel bad for Sens fans. Martin has got to go. Or has he already?

Tonights loss to Philly means nothing. Leafs will take the series in 5 games. Philly just didn't look good enough to beat them tonight.

Playoff MVP=Tie Domi

go leafs go
  • Reply 104 of 249
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Playoff MVP=Tie Domi

Patrick Marleau
  • Reply 105 of 249
    Quote:

Playoff MVP=Tie Domi

Miikka Kipprussof
  • Reply 106 of 249
    Quote:

I would've been here gloating about the Leafs win over the Sens but I was on vacation in Vancouver (nice town, crap team).

Now I don't feel like gloating. I just feel bad for Sens fans. Martin has got to go. Or has he already?

Tonights loss to Philly means nothing. Leafs will take the series in 5 games. Philly just didn't look good enough to beat them tonight.

Playoff MVP=Tie Domi

go leafs go

I guess you may have missed those 3 goals by the FLyers and the 1 goal by the Leafs then...

The Flyers locked down when they had to and looked fine. In fact, they'll play even better on Sunday. Leafs better bring their 'A' game then.

Flyers in 6.
  • Reply 107 of 249
    Tie Domi?? Hell, he isn't even in the running (quick, someone get the anti-homerism serum out!). He's not even the most deserving member of his own team for that award.

Belfour

Niewendyk

McCabe and

Leetch...

...all four are more deserving.

Not to mention:

Kiprusoff

Iginla

Yelle

Marleu

Foresberg

St. Louis

Modin

Khabibulin...

...all are way more deserving than Domi to this point.

PS - E-e-dd-ieeeeeee E-e-dd-ieeeeeee! Get in that guy's heaad and he's finished. You saw a perfect example last night. Scored a clutch goal, got someone in his face, he slashes, gets a minor and goes yelling and screaming over to the ref. Head out of game, game over. Pissing Ed off should be Philly's #1 goal and Hitchcock knows better than anyone else how to do that me thinks.

• Reply 108 of 249
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Man, if Martin Gelinas keeps doing what he did last night, and in game 7 of the Vancouver series, he just might get some attention for MVP. Funny how some guys just go crazy in the playoffs.

Couldn't believe the Flames won that game, really. Outplayed in the first 2 periods, then they're a different team for the third and in OT. Kipper kept 'em in it long enough for one to go in.

Flames in 7, Flyers in 6. Leafs are too slow, too old, and too small. Buh-bye.

• Reply 109 of 249
    Yes! Nothing will please me more than long golf vacation packages for the Wings and Leafs. Should they make it through, that would be the ultimate test of me as a true hockey fan... could I put aside my abhorrence of both teams in order to watch the biggest games of the year? I hope I never have to find out.

• Reply 110 of 249
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Unfortunately, someone has to win that Philly-Toronto series. So long as Tampa Bay can finish one of them off, i'll be happy. Sorry, I know it's perverse to cheer for a hockey team in Florida, but, like the Sharks, they are a true team that plays hard in all respects of the game.

The Flames goal last night was amazing!

I'm so happy the Sharks and the Flames showed Colorado and Detroit what a real team is, as opposed to the bunch of all-stars they are. I *love* team play, I love to see Joe Player beat his man to the puck 1-on-1, I love to see all the little guys work their butts off and contribute and put the fancy lads on their heels.

Go Lightning!

Go Flames!

Go Sharks!
  • Reply 111 of 249
    Tampa Bay destroyed Montreal tonight; it was great. Although the CBC announcers were pathetic with their constant excuse-making for the Habs. They talked like they had finished their series with Boston last night and not four nights ago. No excuse for the way they played at all; they just got stomped, period.
  • Reply 112 of 249
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I will now reaffirm: Patrick Marleau, playoff MVP.

And damn if that goal by Cheechoo wasn't the best goal I've ever seen.
  • Reply 113 of 249
    That was pretty damn amazing if I do say so... and Marleau will certainly have to be considered a finalist if SJ goes deep into the post-season. Colorado looks just anemic (other than Foresberg maybe). Their D sucks so far, feel sorry for Aebischer.
  • Reply 114 of 249
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I'm so happy the Sharks and the Flames showed Colorado and Detroit what a real team is, as opposed to the bunch of all-stars they are. I *love* team play...

And today Detroit showed Calgary what a real championship team is. If you think that just because the Wings have big names they aren't real players, Steve Yzerman begs to differ.

Huge rebound game for Detroit, and Calgary looked pretty silly at the end starting all those fights (ala Colorado).

On to game 3. May the best team win.
  • Reply 115 of 249
    While i despise them, I have to agree the Wings stars have been together for a long time and have proven themselves champions more than once. Everyone on that team knows their roll, knows the system backwards and forwards, and knows when to pull punches and when not to. As much as players like McCarty and Shannahan grate on my nerves, they're all team players I'd say.

The closest thing Detroit had to a show-boat was Federov, and even that wasn't true in more recent years, as he frequently played defensive rolls when called upon and generally had no problems passing the puck on a rush, etc.

As for Iginla starting the fight, I thought it showed tremendous guts because of WHO he chose to fight. Not many offensive starts in this league are going to start a fight with Derian Hatcher... the guy has major heart, even though it was probably a stupid thing to do (because it risks suspension).
  • Reply 116 of 249
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I know I sounded like a total fanboy, but it bugs me sometimes when people act like Detroit is the Yankees.

They have 7 players that have been with the team since they started the cup run in 96-97: Yzerman, Shanahan, Draper, Maltby, McCarty, Lidstrom and Dandenault. There maybe one, but I'm not aware of any other team that's had 7 players last that long on their roster in the same time span. And util Fedorov bolted this summer he's been around too...

Not to mention guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Fischer are all draft picks of the wings.

They certainly do spend more than their fair share on free agents, but they are a loyal, hardworking and well managed organization, not just a team built on what they buy from year to year.
  • Reply 117 of 249
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Hey Philly folks...

which barrel did you scrape to get that anthem singer. man she was awful.
  • Reply 118 of 249
    Now I know how Sens fans felt in the first round. That Esche guy freaking robbed us. I hate Philly ever so much. Ever, ever so much. But not as much as Antropov. Why is he getting 15 minutes a game!?! He just lazily skates around the ice waiting for the next opportunity to take a dumb-ass penalty. Player of the game.........Tie Domi.

Leafs in six!
  • Reply 119 of 249
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

And damn if that goal by Cheechoo wasn't the best goal I've ever seen.

Link to a slow motion clip (Quicktime)
  • Reply 120 of 249
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Hey Philly folks...

which barrel did you scrape to get that anthem singer. man she was awful.

The same barrel you dredged up Darcy Tucker from. Tell him to play hockey and stop trying to win a emmy.