10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 21 of 243
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    well in a perfect world-

i mean OS ?sorry my world is my OS? everything would be fully customizable but some more "themes" for the 10.4 Merlot NOT TIGER! like Microsoft put in XP would be nice as well as at least a fully customizable dock, sidebar and the top bar that always there(i forget the name right now) needs to go sometime soon but we will see that in 10.4.

All i can think of

PS
  • Reply 22 of 243
    A couple things:

-A real location manager would be cool, but I think it needs a better name.

-Open up Menu extras to other developers and have some way to collapse them into a single icon or tab (a la control strip).

-Pay more attention to the Finder's behavior. Like if you eject a disk in column view, it doesn't go back to your default folder, it goes to the computer level, showing hard drives and the network in two places in the same window (the sidebar and the first column).

-Differentiate the browser view and spacial views so their settings are consistent and predictable (it's never too late to fix this).

-Make sure Save and Open dialogs appear the same as they do in the Finder, i.e. same Sidebar settings, toolbar settings, search box, and icon view.

-The Dock needs to either get a lot smarter or needs to be opened up to customization.

-Virtual desktops. Not necessarily desktops per se but window sets. This seems trivial to do, the only tough part is sending windows to certain sets etc. I haven't seen anyone do this in an intuitive way (not those little pushpins on the titlebar).
  • Reply 23 of 243
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I want the Key Caps program back, such a pain to use the input menu (and disable it since it is useless for anything else).

Finder ftp, god, it's been too long and we still can't upload. Also ability to remove the dumb warning message when you directly open files from finder ftp.

• Reply 24 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

I want the Key Caps program back, such a pain to use the input menu (and disable it since it is useless for anything else).

Make an alias to /System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/KeyboardViewerServer.app and put it anywhere you want. Done.
  • Reply 25 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Make an alias to /System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/KeyboardViewerServer.app and put it anywhere you want. Done.

niiiiiice.. thanks! retro, AND useful..
  • Reply 26 of 243
    purepure Posts: 26member
    The ability to sort files by kind or date modified/created in column view.

Being able to mouse-over a window in exposé and cmd-w closing after which exposé remains in state.
  • Reply 27 of 243
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Gestures ipodandimac for window control like resizing might be cool. Gestures look really slick, haven't used them though since I don't have a Graphire.
  • Reply 28 of 243
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    For limited Gesture support, check out CocoaGestures ( http://www.bitart.com/CocoaGestures.html ), which enables mouse gesturing in any Cocoa programs. Mostly use it in Safari myself.

And thanks Kickaha, for the Key Caps trick
  • Reply 29 of 243
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Some Finder bits and pieces:

A better Finder window-memory. Right now, too often I have to change the window view from column to 'regular' view (when cmd-clicking a folder), because my root view is in column. You always have to make the window larger too each time. The views sometimes change (larger or smaller icons). Icons sometimes change appearance.

Column view should have the option to dynamically adapt the width of the columns to the longest filename in the folder (no more manual tweaking necessary).

The space between individual icons is often too wide. It can only be changed a bit by changing the icons' font-size. There should be a separate setting that allows you to only change the space between icons.

Why do we have to click on the desktop first before new files appear (i.e. when downloading) ?

Label colors: good to have them back, but we (?) need more and fainter or softer colors, and/or the ability to make custom colors with the Apple Color Picker. I use them a lot, but with the present color range it gives a heavy and overloaded impression in column view.

Folders who are in an opened state, should stay open, like they are when hovering over them when dragging a file.

Fonts should be visible directly in the finder (as in Windows), and without Fontbook.
  • Reply 30 of 243
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    * Fix the many Finder selecting/dragging 'quirks' that have never been fixed since the Classic to OS X transition. Someone at Apple should get a machine running OS 9 and another machine running OS X side by side and spend an hour simply clicking/dragging/renaming things in both Finders.

* Finder FTP fleshed out.

* Make the icons on the left side of the Finder windows act like real aliases.

* A way to defer items in Software Update. Sometimes updates appear there for apps that I don't use but require a restart. It would be nice to be able to click on a button to stop nagging you, but still check everyday for other updates like security patches.
  • Reply 31 of 243
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

* A way to defer items in Software Update. Sometimes updates appear there for apps that I don't use but require a restart. It would be nice to be able to click on a button to stop nagging you, but still check everyday for other updates like security patches.

This is already there. Go to 'Update > Ignore Update'.
  • Reply 32 of 243
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Some Finder bits and pieces:

Why do we have to click on the desktop first before new files appear (i.e. when downloading) ?

Siracusa explains this in his excellent review of Panther.
  • Reply 33 of 243
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

This is already there. Go to 'Update > Ignore Update'.

Cool. Thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 243
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

A better Finder window-memory. Right now, too often I have to change the window view from column to 'regular' view (when cmd-clicking a folder), because my root view is in column. You always have to make the window larger too each time. The views sometimes change (larger or smaller icons). Icons sometimes change appearance.

Ah yes! That's what I forgot! I can't stand resizing my Finder windows all the time.

Aquatic: Are the gestures that you're talking about similar to the ones used in Motion? If so, I'd prefer hitting one key to drawing a picture with my mouse. Every second matters.

I thought of another Exposé feature I want. There are many times where I'm working and need to Photoshop something really quickly, and there are just too many windows. I would like to have the effect of hitting the 'show finder' exposé key, then be able to open up a program and use it without the other windows coming back until I undo the Exposé. This is essentially virtual desktops, but a somewhat different implementation.
  • Reply 35 of 243
    Opt-click on the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • Reply 36 of 243
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Opt-click on the Finder icon in the Dock.

let me clarify. I mean being able to use Photoshop with all other programs' windows "off the screen." I don't mean an actual Finder window. Basically, hit F11, open a finder window, now pretend that that is a Photoshop window. Thats what I'm getting at.
  • Reply 37 of 243
    So.... you want to be able to use Photoshop, but have all other windows off-screen... kind of, what's that word... oh yeah, *hidden*.

Hmm. Hidden... Hide... Hide Others... Cmd-Opt-H.

What you really want is a way to switch to another app and hide all others from a single keystroke. Cmd-opt-tab would be a nice way of doing that, or if System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts would access the Scripts Menu, you could write a simple Applescript to do the two steps and assign a keystroke to it.
  • Reply 38 of 243
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    more "skins" so that all the iLife apps and the finder and Safari will all have the same type of look like they have "Brushed Metal" now.
  • Reply 39 of 243
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Ok, one more thing popped into my head.

I would love for applications to have access to a Finder window outside of the Open/Save dialogues. Here's my for instance:

Safari has a download window. I have a download folder. Why can't Safari just use the download folder as the download manager? I would love to be able to drag items out of Safari into folders in the dock without having to go to the Finder. This would be ever more useful with the new internet disk image format where the .dmg file gets erased after it's mounted. I'm left with an application icon so I would like to drag the icon directly out of the Safari window into my Application folder that resides in the dock.

Ok, I know that is more of a Safari request than an OSX request, but it bugs me none the less.

A few other random ramblings:

I want to be able to sort by multiple criteria in List view. So I can sort by date modified an by size or by kind and date created. You get the idea.

I would love to create folder actions like I create rules in Mail.crap and not have to write an Apple Script.

I want the Internet System Pref to return.

I want to be able to close minimized windows in the dock.
  • Reply 40 of 243
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Column view should have the option to dynamically adapt the width of the columns to the longest filename in the folder (no more manual tweaking necessary).

While not an automatic option, you can simply double click the size widget for a column and it will resize to the longest filename.