this is appalling, abuse of Iraqi prisoners

Comments

• Reply 361 of 578
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

AlQuaida despised the Baath regime, because it was not a "true islamistic" leadership. So there was no love lost between them and no ties - but of course AlQuaida agents were in Iraq to find ways to overthrow Hussein.

So, yes you are missing why they were there: as enemies of Hussein - and now as enemies of the war coalition. Don't fool yourself thinking that your enemies enemy is your friend.

Is that the new argument now?
  • Reply 362 of 578
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

They hide among civilians for protection. How do you stop that from happening?

Shoot 'em all. Let god sort them out. I am sure, the moderate part of the Iraqi population will understand and offer flowers to the nice troops.
  • Reply 363 of 578
    Quote:

AlQuaida despised the Baath regime, because it was not a "true islamistic" leadership. So there was no love lost between them and no ties - but of course AlQuaida agents were in Iraq to find ways to overthrow Hussein.

So, yes you are missing why they were there: as enemies of Hussein - and now as enemies of the war coalition. Don't fool yourself thinking that your enemies enemy is your friend.

Read the article, it states they were going to use the Ricin in EU. And then later they found another Ricin lab in EU that was connected to Iraq, also before the war.

This is MSNBC. Far from being a Bush shill.
  • Reply 364 of 578
    Quote:

I realize that this is an attack on the Bush white house, but in their fervor to do so they admitted to the AQ/Iraq connection IMO.
  • Reply 365 of 578
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    C'mon people, lets have some realism here. If, and only if, a credible and proven link was found between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein (or the Baathist regime), the US media and the Bush administration would be milking it for all its worth, for weeks and months, up until the election. We wouldn't hear the end of it...it would be "all Al Qaeda <----> Iraq all the time". To date...zilch, because there isn't anything that stands up to scrutiny. Same goes for any credible discovery of chemical/bio weapons etc.

AND......

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...use/index.html

Now look who's at what Sen. Inhofe is saying. The weasel of Oklahoma implies that he approves the abuse, torture and killings of Iraqi prisoners. Doesn't he know that up to 90% of those prisoners are there with no just cause, arrested "by mistake"? Doesn't he know that these abuses are in flagrant breach of both US military codes of conduct and international law? Doesn't he realize that this kind of extremist commentary is the sort of thing that makes us even more hated than we already are??? What a stupid, dumb, jackass IDIOT!!!! Just what the hell is this appeaser of evil doing in the Senate?

• Reply 366 of 578
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yes this Zarqawi was in Iraq, and he was al Qaeda. But Saddam did not have control over the area of Iraq that Zarqawi was in.

bin Laden has an interesting history with Saddam Hussein. One theory about how al Qaeda formed is that when Iraq invaded Kuwait, bin Laden offered to use his connections from the Afghan-Soviet war to form an army to protect Saudi Arabia. Instead, the Sauds went with Bush. It was downhill from there.
  • Reply 367 of 578
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Who did, then?

Why do we call it northern IRAQ?

I am going to find a map and post it so we all can see where this was.

A google search for Kurdish controlled northern Iraq yields 70,000 hits.
  • Reply 368 of 578
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Kurdish controlled Northern Iraq

The town is spelled Khurma and is approx. 20 miles north of Halabjah. Remember that name?

It is also south of the northern no-fly zone (36th parallel).

Kerry and many other senators had access to this info. It would have been a bona-fide act of war and would have forced the US to attack prematurely without the proper build up. They chose not to bomb it for that reason, IMO.

Here is a link to a map:

http://www.multimap.com/wi/browse.cg...dvanced=&lang=

The previously quoted article by MSNBC neglected to mention those facts. And they spelled it phonetically as opposed to it's real spelling on purpose, IMO
  • Reply 369 of 578
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Naples, it seems you're right that it's outside of the no-fly zone. But it's still in Kurdish-controlled Iraq, according to your maps. And both Clinton toward the end of his term and Bush bombed Iraq virtually weekly. It would have been no problem, and probably would have hardly even been reported in the news, if Bush had taken out Zarqawi when we had the chance. And remember, this was post 9/11. We were already in a shooting war with al Qaeda. No one would have had a problem with us going after this guy. But in any case, what bothers me is the possibility that he might have decided against taking him out simply for PR purposes.
  • Reply 370 of 578
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Naples, it seems you're right that it's outside of the no-fly zone. But it's still in Kurdish-controlled Iraq, according to your maps. And both Clinton toward the end of his term and Bush bombed Iraq virtually weekly. It would have been no problem, and probably would have hardly even been reported in the news, if Bush had taken out Zarqawi when we had the chance. And remember, this was post 9/11. We were already in a shooting war with al Qaeda. No one would have had a problem with us going after this guy. But in any case, what bothers me is the possibility that he might have decided against taking him out simply for PR purposes.

Sure but there is also the possibility that the choice was made for other reasons. And we all know that a missile strike does not guarantee success.
  • Reply 371 of 578
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    please do not let one person derail an important thread...

by certain logic florida is a terrorist state since they actually housed and trained the saudia nationals that flew planes into the twin towers

g
  • Reply 372 of 578
    While everyone sides for the terrorists here.

I suggest that you watch the video AQ took of the new famous beheading.

It is in another thread in AO.

It may just change your perspective.

To say that the torture or whatever you call it at the prison is even close to that video, is just sick.

I don't even care if it was a US Citizen, I would not do that to an animal.

I really hope you people don't feel these lowlifes are worth defending.
  • Reply 373 of 578
    can somebody please ban this man...

first he calls anybody he disagrees with names, he questions their compassion, he calls them liars...now he says they support terrorist

please mods help a brother out here

g
  • Reply 374 of 578
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

can somebody please ban this man...

first he calls anybody he disagrees with names, he questions their compassion, he calls them liars...now he says they support terrorist

please mods help a brother out here

g

I did nothing of the sort.

And you know it.
  • Reply 375 of 578
    naplesx "All of you people are ridiculous.

Selective outrage and fake compassion.

You all should be ashamed of yourself. Seriously."

that was the first time and i held back because fellowship replied...

more to come as i look through this lovely thread

g

very next reply came with the nice little comment that i should "wise up"

then this:

ou all seem to think that you know what is best for the world and that your vision is pure as driven snow and anything that America does is wrong. Some of you here more than others.

Once again, all I here is US bad, everyone else good.

That is what you are all promoting here and in other threads.

I think you need to examine your viewpoints to see what side you consistently come down on. It is pretty scary stuff, I know, but you might want to consider it.

Of course, many of you do not want to differentiate right and wrong, so in your case, I am not even sure what motivates you.

For all of you political parrots, it is really becoming monotonous and you will find that more and more people will ignore you because of it. I guess if you say it is Bush's fault enough it will become true. Keep telling yourself that, if you must.

This place needs an enema. Bad"

silly at best...i absolutely love america and do hold it to a higher standard...so should you...the president tells the world we are held to a higher standard, that is what allows us to invade countries...

then this from you:

How many times will you apologize for terrorists and murderers? How many time will you side with them? How many times will you hold views that benefit their interests? How many times will you attack yourself?

none of us have apologize for terrorist...

time to spend "quiet time" in the corner yet??

how about some more than...

i love this one:

have been very clear on my stance on this and other matters. You do not show any mental strength or debating ability or intellectual honesty by parsing tidbits of my or anybody's posts and projecting some special knowledge of my motivations.

only the right wing can project some special knowledge of motivations of others i guess since "we" all "support and defend terrorist according to you...

see below:

and finally:

"While everyone sides for the terrorists here."

talk about putting words in other peoples mouths...

• Reply 376 of 578
    Quote:

g

I did not personally attack anyone. Those were general statements.

Come on, post something at least somewhat on topic.
  • Reply 377 of 578
    Quote:

g

very next reply came with the nice little comment that i should "wise up"

then this:

ou all seem to think that you know what is best for the world and that your vision is pure as driven snow and anything that America does is wrong. Some of you here more than others.

Once again, all I here is US bad, everyone else good.

That is what you are all promoting here and in other threads.

I think you need to examine your viewpoints to see what side you consistently come down on. It is pretty scary stuff, I know, but you might want to consider it.

Of course, many of you do not want to differentiate right and wrong, so in your case, I am not even sure what motivates you.

For all of you political parrots, it is really becoming monotonous and you will find that more and more people will ignore you because of it. I guess if you say it is Bush's fault enough it will become true. Keep telling yourself that, if you must.

This place needs an enema. Bad"

silly at best...i absolutely love america and do hold it to a higher standard...so should you...the president tells the world we are held to a higher standard, that is what allows us to invade countries...

Parse parse parse

Come on. Let's not get this thread locked.

I will not reply to you after this point as to not encourage more.
  • Reply 378 of 578
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Come on, post something at least somewhat on topic.

OK:

• Reply 379 of 578
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

OK:

That is actually kinda funny. Seriously, thanks.

I needed that after watching that damned video.

My hans are still shaking.
  • Reply 380 of 578
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Parse parse parse

Come on. Let's not get this thread locked.

I will not reply to you after this point as to not encourage more.

Jesus Damn Man Quite complaining about being "parsed"!!! If you don't like people addressing specific points then make sure that your statements don't include crazy inflamator comments. Its not that hard. I've already said this and I don't know why I'm mentioning it again except for the fact that it bugs me to no end. "Awww guys stop parsing me...." Well killer stop peppering your replies with brooms in asses and stop making blanker statements. If you comment then each point of your comment is, and probably will be, addressed at some point. If you call everyone terrorist sympathizers then we will address that. You have to have over a thousand posts and you don't get that yet? If you make valid arguments then we will address those arguments. We may disagree but the argument will be addressed. If you say "How many times will you apologize for terrorists and murderers?" then that statement is free game for rebuttal. It's not a hard system. If you post it it will be commented on. Stop bitching (ironic huh me bitching about someone else bitching).