Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 241 of 484
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Rumors have the new iMac being completely different in form factor so I'd think adding a "half a dome" is going backwards. Apple has done that, been there. They never go in reverse. We're in for a wonderful surprise I believe. It may be the best-looking computer that Apple ever designed.... or maybe not!
  • Reply 242 of 484
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I am ready for a fantastic looking iMac. I liked the last version but the base after awhile got old looking. Plus it was shocking the first time I saw it regarding how large it was. The 20 inch screen helped it's proportions quite a bit.

Keep the fun coming you creative bastards. It will be a big help the next couple of weeks while we wait. Certainly more fun than all the nitpicking over specs that we have no control over.
  • Reply 243 of 484
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I am ready for a fantastic looking iMac. I liked the last version but the base after awhile got old looking. Plus it was shocking the first time I saw it regarding how large it was. The 20 inch screen helped it's proportions quite a bit.

Keep the fun coming you creative bastards. It will be a big help the next couple of weeks while we wait. Certainly more fun than all the nitpicking over specs that we have no control over.

I concur. This is where ideas are being discussed.
  • Reply 244 of 484
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Great mockup, nsousansousa! I think you're pretty close now.

The double-pivot (pivot on base and on back of system) allows us to raise or lower. Ports could be on the base. Agree on disc coming out of top. Speakers could be thin grilles on the ends? Most likely white, not alum. Possibly a fan on the back, similar to that used on the TAM but larger, slower, quieter.
  • Reply 245 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

nsousansousa,

Thanks for keeping this thread fun and on track.

I am thinking that the iPod dock surprise you allude to will dictate the base to move a little bit to the front side of the screen.

Are you thinking that the optical drive is located in the screen or the base, possibly with the iPod dock?

In any case, it is great seeing some images that start to remove the horrors of that Sony nightmare.

Thanks.

I think that the drive will be behind the screen body.

Man...I was having nightmares with the Sony VAIO ;-) This is therapeutic, at least...
  • Reply 246 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Great mockup, nsousansousa! I think you're pretty close now.

The double-pivot (pivot on base and on back of system) allows us to raise or lower. Ports could be on the base. Agree on disc coming out of top. Speakers could be thin grilles on the ends? Most likely white, not alum. Possibly a fan on the back, similar to that used on the TAM but larger, slower, quieter.

Thanks.

I really don't want, at this stage, to go to the amount of detail that you mention. The double pivot is certainly a good positioning gizmo and no doubt will be there.

Regarding ports. I thought that some of them would be on the base , maybe pointing back, and some on the screen. BUT if you think about it carefully , probably the bezel will be port free. I mean, cables sticking in front of the user , cluttering keyboard space, is not very "Appleish".

So, I will migrate them to the back of the base in the next iterations.

I will be working on the speakers and all, and keep you guys posted.

I will refine it until September 1, and by then , we will have a real "unreal" mockup.

It would be fun to see how much the new iMac won't be like this mockup !! :-/
  • Reply 247 of 484
    nsousansousa, what software did you use to make that mockup?

Also, do you know of any tutorials online to make that kind of image?
  • Reply 248 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by ArticulatedArm

nsousansousa, what software did you use to make that mockup?

Also, do you know of any tutorials online to make that kind of image?

The MacPaint of this Decade !

Sketchup 4.0 !

Visit their site for tutorials.
  • Reply 249 of 484
    Thanks, nsousansousa!

I just realized something... I guesss I am really slow... but there is no doubt in my mind now that the new Imac will resemble the new monitor designs.

All the new Mac designs are based on the principle or design element of BENT aluminum.

The new mini Ipods.

The G5 case.

The new flat panel monitors.

I also remember an old article where Ives said he had been in the lab bending aluminum in all kinds of shapes.

Obvioulsy I realized that several devices used this design but it just hit me that everything seems to be going that direction.

I am positive that the new Imac will look like a combination between the new flat panel monitors and the Sany vaio as many designs have been pointing to here.

I am also betting that the next generation Ipod that comes out after the new G5 Imac will follow this pattern as well.
  • Reply 250 of 484
    One more iMac G5 AIO mock-up.

This one looks more like a boiled down 1st gen iMac.
  • Reply 251 of 484
    Direction 2 . Sharp turn ahead.

- Reverted to Apple Display Enclosure (popular demand)

- The base grew substantially.

- The base can turn it self upside down and flattened against the monitor.

- If the base is big (depicted) the "peeking extra" while in "hang-able" mode would contain the speakers.

• Reply 252 of 484
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
  • Reply 253 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

I think this is the best design so far. IMHO.

MacMorsel
  • Reply 254 of 484
    Have you seen the real design that Jonathan Ive himself has sketched? Check out the thread. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=45320
  • Reply 255 of 484
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Was this posted yet?

Sigh...
  • Reply 256 of 484
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacMorsel

I think this is the best design so far. IMHO.

Here is a more complete view of this idea.
  • Reply 257 of 484
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

Was this posted yet?

Sigh...

:drool:

Now that wasn't so hard, was it? Too good to be true i guess...
  • Reply 258 of 484
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

Really great also! Although this particular picture doesn't do it justice, the one on the website look amazing. I'm afraid it would have to be slightly bulkier to be realistic, but still, great!
  • Reply 259 of 484
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    I like the look of it, but I still prefer having my screen up in the air and adjustable like the current imac.

I wonder how this design would fare against the various rules and regs for ergonomics etc?

I still don't get the idea of putting all the Mac's guts behind the screen...

To support a screen and all the internals like CPU, HD etc you would need a fairly hefty stand - but if you have a hefty stand why not put something in it like the PSU, HD etc?

And I still don't like the idea of plugging USB and FW cables into the side/back of the screen.

I'm really hoping the new iMac will still gave a base unit for plugging in stuff, and the screen is still adjustable.
  • Reply 260 of 484
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

I'm really hoping the new iMac will still gave a base unit for plugging in stuff, and the screen is still adjustable.

Yeah, the iMac FP was unique for this feature alone, screen adjustability. IMHO, it has the best ergonomics ever in a computer. Too bad this keeps cost high.