Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 321 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chromeus

here is another one that i thought of real quick

the reason that it is all in the back is because its also a portable notepad computer aswell and based on the already award winning design of the ipod

just alot bigger and dockable with the keyboard mouse and speakers or you can pluck it out of its dock and use a stylus to move to mouse around

this would be gound breaking for apple and what a way to celebrate the 20th year

i like it.

this is just theoritical...but, imagine:

dual processors, one in the dock one in the display. when undocked, it's a single g4 processor mac, when docked, it's a full blown dual proccessor iMac...with firewire, usb,etc. when undocked it's just a tablet pc. no ports or anything. just a DVD rom drive.

oh and when docked, you can use the touch sensitive screen to draw on it. ink-well anyone.
  • Reply 322 of 484
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

I or i doesnt really matter to me

they are both " I " to me Ipod iPod tomato tomatoe

anywho here comes another TYPO

and a dockless wonder

Chromeus, the point is it's a name. Annoying you don't seem to recognize that.

I do like the idea of the dockable computer but I wonder if it's wise to cross the portability with a Desktop computer with the reputation and established of the iMac.

I like pscates most recent rendition of his design. It feels most like something Apple would do. It' has all of the adjustability required while having a good solid base. It could also work with that LCD covering that has been all the buzz recently.
  • Reply 323 of 484
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

I or i doesnt really matter to me

they are both " I " to me Ipod iPod tomato tomatoe

anywho here comes another TYPO

and a dockless wonder

I'm sure Apple would beg to differ on your opinion of spelling. Neat mockups though.
  • Reply 324 of 484
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    This is all fantastic stuff.

Here are my thoughts, I really like the iPod Tablet Mockup. The coolest marketing from Apple could read, "At Apple we are still Thinking Different. Our new iMac Desktop is portable, How is that for different."

What would be cool is the an extra hard drive and storage is external. It sits next to your TV and Stereo, it has HD, Networking and DVR features. The laptop uses the external HD from which you can record TV, watch TV on the portable, Stream iTunes to multiple locations and surf the net.

Having a large iPod would allow video, which is what everyone has been asking about. My question, how do you type on that thing?
  • Reply 325 of 484
    The tablet mockups are neat but impractical and anyone who has used a tablet before may agree. A tablet should be comfortable to be used cradled in your arm or maybe in your lap if you are sitting down. This would mean that a smaller screen size (physical size) is much more desireable/comfortable and ergonomic. It also has to be light enough to comfortable use. Would you think a child or even a lot of adults want to cradle a 6 or 7 pound device (my guess based on mockups in relation to iPod for scale). Also cost would be a major factor especially considering digitizers at those resolutions and the necessary batteries to let this thing function for any length of time undocked.

They look exciting and glamorous but lack utility.

** My apology for taking this a bit off topic. Some of this I already mentioned in the tablet thread.
  • Reply 326 of 484
    Amazing design concept. It's what so many have been trying to get at, portability with great performance, a touch screen for away from the desk use and a natural, easy to use dock with a traditional keyboard and mouse interface. I don't think there'll be too many people complaining about the video card with this sort of design, it's so utilitarian in so many great ways and plays very well into Apple's strong suits right now and very compelling for switchers! Really good insight and instincts Chromeus, if that is your pic. It makes me hopeful Apple will wow us again despite the rumored, and frankly excpected, anemic hardware specs. It actually could solve the issue of making computers more usable overall instead of simply making them faster and fixed to specific tasks. I fully expect Apple to take their design in this sort of direction, if they're going to wow us. Somehow, they seem to always come through despite all of the grumblings.
  • Reply 327 of 484
    thanks for the replies all and keep in mind this was a quick mock up

I am sure I coul;d put handles or what ever is missing when i get the time but this is just something i thought up based on how apple loves to wow us and no one has gone this route

and please for the love of pete (whoever that is) people are dying in the world i not going to let the capitalisation of a single " i ' bug me nore should it bug you

lol oh well maybe ill post more stuff tonight

abd it should would be cool if i got it right

-wink-wink-
  • Reply 328 of 484
    Quote:

thanks for the replies all and keep in mind this was a quick mock up

I am sure I coul;d put handles or what ever is missing when i get the time but this is just something i thought up based on how apple loves to wow us and no one has gone this route

and please for the love of pete (whoever that is) people are dying in the world i not going to let the capitalisation of a single " i ' bug me nore should it bug you

lol oh well maybe ill post more stuff tonight

abd it should would be cool if i got it right

-wink-wink-

But if you're going to design a mockup to look like an Apple ad wouldn't you want it to be at least somewhat correct? Can you imagine Apple's ad agency telling them what you just said to justify the persistent mis-capitalization?
  • Reply 329 of 484
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    A couple of things:

Chromeus, spell it iMac and be done with it. 5-plus years are riding on the whole lower-case "i" thing. You don't get to override that. Doing that goes a long way toward making you come across as someone who at least "gets it", and isn't some P.C. user trying to make Mac hardware designs. The only people who say "IMAC" or "Imac" are clueless writers, PC users and casual observers who haven't grasped the whole "i" thing yet. I'm trying to help you! Won't you please let me.

Second, we have to consider that everytime we zig, Apple zags. With a couple of exceptions, everytime we think a new Apple product will be based on a recently released product from the same family or whatever, they often seem to surprise us with something totally out of left field. That's why I think the idea of enlarging their iPod/dock approach for use with a new iMac just doesn't seem like something they'd do. When they come out with an all new product, it never seems to resemble something else in their line-up.

iPod > iPod mini

G4 tower > G5 tower

G3 iMac > G4 iMac

Old Cinema Displays > sew Cinema Displays

G3 PowerBook > G4 PowerBook

Clamshell colored iBook > white Chiclet iBook

Materials may be borrowed, certainly. The glossy white of the consumer stuff and the sleek matte aluminum of the G5 and PowerBooks (and Cinema Displays). But I can't think of an instance where one crosses over and they simply copy an existing design and merely change the scale to make a "new" product.

Jobs and Ive seem to be above that (thankfully) and I think many of us would yell "uninspired cop out!" if they did take that approach.

I know I would!

That's why I think the iMac G5 will look nothing like a large iPod in a dock, or a previous-generation Studio Display with the guts mounted parallel to the back (unless Jobs wanted to retract everything he said two years ago), or a current-generation Cinema Display with the "guts" crammed in to the base somehow. I don't think you can take an iBook body and stick a pole on it and slap a display on it either.

I'm not saying my design is anywhere close (but I'd bet on it more than the others), but I will say it's not based on anything Apple currently produces and, in some ways, makes it a more "hmmm, well if history is any indication..." thing to consider. It would surprise me LESS if a new iMac G5 looked somewhat more like mine than an enlarged iPod/dock thing. That just simply doesn't seem to be how Apple does it, and I can't imagine them (Jobs and Ive, in particular) taking such a route. Besides, I don't know how I feel about tablet stuff in general. I don't think that'll come to be. But you never know...

Remember, right before the dual-USB iBooks came out years ago? We were all trying to imagine what new colors the new iBooks would be. And I drew mock-ups of even curvier designs. Then when they were unveiled, it was a damn square Chiclet! I couldn't believe it!

We zig, they zag. Same with the iMac G4. NO ONE predicted the "sunflower" approach. Every mockup I saw - including my own - was some variation of "strap an iBook body to the back of a 15" Studio Display". What actually came to be was breathtaking.

I'd be willing to bet a hefty sum that it'll look like NOTHING from the current Apple inventory, but yet will fit in beautifully. Their track record on this is second-to-none, so I have all the reason in the world to be optimistic.
  • Reply 330 of 484
    there that should fix it
  • Reply 331 of 484
    Chromeus was kind enough to do a quick graphic version of my pen-to-paper concept. It's not too far off from the idea in my head. Thanks again, Chromeus.

• Reply 332 of 484
    Quote:

there that should fix it

Thank you. See? Looks better already...
  • Reply 333 of 484
    LOL you nut i am a pc user and i love me some apples

just dont like apple snobs

hell I even have and apple sticker on my new car and call it an epod

but you can pry that pc out of my cold dead fingers

i love em both and i have a life and an imagination

you folks should watch that 1984 commercial again

you might see your face on the screen

ok enough rantings i got to get to work later

p.s. ill post more mockups later
  • Reply 334 of 484
    Quote:

there that should fix it

Now you have it! 100x better!

ps - I picked on you (and the others did as well I think) because you seemed to have spent a bit of time on your design and the *only* real spoiler was the way you spelled iMac. No offense was intended .
  • Reply 335 of 484
    notice on the screen i am working on the dockless wonder and its diplaying the dockless wonder
  • Reply 336 of 484
    Quote:

notice on the screen i am working on the dockless wonder and its diplaying the dockless wonder

I noticed, nice touch
  • Reply 337 of 484
    Quote:

LOL you nut i am a pc user and i love me some apples

So, I was right then. What are you sore for? You fell into one of the three categories. No big deal: clueless writers, P.C. users or casual observers who don't get the "i" thing. You're the middle one. It wasn't any slam, it's just a fact.

Quote:

just dont like apple snobs

hell I even have and apple sticker on my new car and call it an epod

but you can pry that pc out of my cold dead fingers

i love em both and i have a life and an imagination

you folks should watch that 1984 commercial again

you might see your face on the screen

Who's an Apple snob? What does a life and imagination have to do with it all? And at 3%, none of us can afford to appear on the 1984 screen, so what are you even talking about?

There's "rant", then there's "not making any sense".
  • Reply 338 of 484
    that should do it

cant believe you guys made me go back and fix that
  • Reply 339 of 484
    lol pAul I was talking about the big noggin on the 1984 commercial

and according to the belike everyone else ie its spelled iMac instead of Imac that some people have to be like everyone else and do it all the same and allow for no changes Like God forbid you should capitalize the first letter of a proper name ( you dont get it so your not one of us , how could you be you dont the i so you must be Etc...) thats just silly and it sounds like a weird cult

like you must feed orange donuts to the pig at midnight not 12:00

but midnight

on the other hand i love the designs that you have done and would like to know how you did them

the style is very nice
  • Reply 340 of 484
    Man, that's just how it's spelled. I didn't make it up. Write and bug Apple with all this cult talk.

But since you're so free and open with this sort of thing, I shall call you kroMEyusss from here out. Cool? I mean, why go with the expected, stock Chromeus, just because everyone else does?

It's a name. A proper name. A recognized name (the Apple lower-case "i" thing, on all their products). It would never occur to me NOT to use it the way it's supposed to be. I don't go around getting cute with the spelling of other known, accepted words. It's no trait of cultism to call/spell something by its proper name. Hell, don't EVER get a job at the airport, writing departure/arrival cities. I'd never get anywhere!

Personally I don't care what you do, but it gives your art a bit more sense of "oh, this looks more realistic", that's all, kroMEyusss. I figured you'd want that?

I use Adobe Illustrator CS exclusively.