What could this be?

Comments

• Reply 341 of 525
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    So let's see...

This friend of yours is smart enough to know he's got something unique, which is why he had to quickly snap photos of it in an elevator.

However, he had enough time to snap at least 3 pics, and at some point shut the flash off for one of them, but not enough time to shoot from more than one angle?

Sounds like your friend is a) an idiot. b) a liar. c) the worst photographer ever.
  • Reply 342 of 525
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    dfiler, this is future hardware...all that uppity, reasoned and well-thought-out talk doesn't fly around here, pal. Beat it! You're giving the joint a bad rep...

• Reply 343 of 525
    Or d) all of the above

• Reply 344 of 525
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    My iMac prediction with a detachable wall mountable screen is becoming more and more a reality!

Think about it .It usually doesn't compete price/performance with PC's so I'm thinking that this is the only possible "WOW" factor left for the iMac.

• Reply 345 of 525
    Only another 40,000 views and this will be the most viewed thread ever which aint bad considering it only started just over 24 hours ago!!!

Is this the most anticipated mac EVER??????\
  • Reply 346 of 525
    Friends, I think I know what this is.

It's the side view that gives it away. This isn't a computer, or a display, but a TV.

The Apple Stores have been redecorating a bit over the last few months, an the new scheme includes wall-mounted plasma displays that show ads, or do demos, that sort of thing.

I think that's what this is: a wall-mounted TV screen, headed to some Apple store. Or I suppose it could be headed to the Apple booth at the Expo, where it will play endless loops of iPod commercials or Steve Jobs's Greatest Hits.

That's why the packaging is unmarked and unguarded. It's just for Apple's own internal use, and not a secret product. It's not a "product" at all; just a display device.

Whaddayathink?

Victor
  • Reply 347 of 525
    mooksmooks Posts: 8member
    My $.02 on all this.

IMHO I think this has about a 50% chance of being the new iMac.

Pros: Basic form factor is as we've heard, pizza box similar to the current displays. The box it's in could be the actual box, perhaps Apple will start doing what it does with the iPod box, a big black box with Apple logos and a white sleeve with product info and pics. Perhaps they didn't put the sleeve on these to help disguise the contents. Keep in mind this probably isn't a production unit and it may be missing parts because it has been shipped around and demoed elsewhere. The stand could be separate, or optional as some have speculated. Power supply is probably a brick (a la Cube) to keep the size and weight of the main unit down. This and the keyboard and other stuff would probaby be in the upper section of the packing foam.

Cons: Overall proportion doesn't seem right to me to be a 17 or 20 inch display, at least not one with current Apple proportions. Looks more 4:3 not 16:9 in ratio. Exterior looks cheaper that I would expect. Looks like all plastic, no aluminum.

Possible idea --- this is the new eMac. Cost cutting model, all plastic, no CD, regular proportioned 17" LCD display. This is pure speculation...
  • Reply 348 of 525
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ronnie_brassic

Only another 40,000 views and this will be the most viewed thread ever which aint bad considering it only started just over 24 hours ago!!!

My bet would go to, "spy pix are teh fun!!!11"

• Reply 349 of 525
    damn you victor, that's what I think!

It's the G5 iMac, stop being so freakin' logical!
  • Reply 350 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by b8rtm8nn

damn you victor, that's what I think!

It's the G5 iMac, stop being so freakin' logical!

Oh...sorry, what was I thinking?

• Reply 351 of 525
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think it is one of the new Apple displays. I have seen one recently in a reseller and it looks very similar to what is shown in the picture.

I just bought a 20" display from Apple and this is not one of them. The stand is attached to the screen for starters, the sides are white and shiny and the logo is on the lower rim. If this were a display turned upside down the stand would be very visible. The foam packing pieces also looked nothing like these. I'm going with the LG all in one theory. Still it does make one think...
  • Reply 352 of 525
    The item in the photo is a cleverly disguised plot designed to get a bunch of Mac nuts frothing at the mouth. It is amazing how we will all react like this. Sitting here in the forums discussing the endless possibilities.

Take a good look at that thing. A REALLY good look. If that is the next iMac, or (heaven forbid) a tablet, then Apple is history.

The pure lack of intelligent design that went into it is not "Think Different".
  • Reply 353 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

the third (new) picture appears to reveal a spot of BLOOD on the wall directly behind the product!

This solves it! Phil killed Steve! Hail to the new CEO.
  • Reply 354 of 525
    I like how non-chalant Phil is about the whole thing. lol
  • Reply 355 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by ronnie_brassic

The most viewed thread and it's only a TV. hehe. Some funny bunch, us mac users.
  • Reply 356 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by victorgav

Friends, I think I know what this is.

It's the side view that gives it away. This isn't a computer, or a display, but a TV.

The Apple Stores have been redecorating a bit over the last few months, an the new scheme includes wall-mounted plasma displays that show ads, or do demos, that sort of thing.

I think that's what this is: a wall-mounted TV screen, headed to some Apple store. Or I suppose it could be headed to the Apple booth at the Expo, where it will play endless loops of iPod commercials or Steve Jobs's Greatest Hits.

That's why the packaging is unmarked and unguarded. It's just for Apple's own internal use, and not a secret product. It's not a "product" at all; just a display device.

Whaddayathink?

Victor

This makes the most sense of anything I have read here on this matter.

If this is the actual story... would it have an apple logo on it though?
  • Reply 357 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Uh-oh! And as if this isn't enough excitement for a Friday, the third (new) picture appears to reveal a spot of BLOOD on the wall directly behind the product!

-Kasper

Passive defensive systems like Kensington locks are passé.

The new iMac will introduce active theft prevention systems.

Philbot's French friend hasn't answered back because he triggered the trap and got needled with contact poison or barium tracking. He's either still riding that elevator or hiding out in a lead room avoiding search teams.
  • Reply 358 of 525
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    I'll go down on record as saying - if it is the new iMac - me likes and wants one! Very clean. 8)
  • Reply 359 of 525
    (Responding to victorgav's post expounding the "mysterious object is just a TV screen" theory)

Quote:

Originally posted by ArticulatedArm

Why not?

It's just a matter of replacing the stock bezel around the display with a custom bezel.

Apple is sufficiently style-conscious that they would want to do something like that for their stores and trade show booths, and since they would need to order a quantity of several hundred, the cost wouldn't be exorbitant...

Plus, they've got cash to burn, right?
  • Reply 360 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by ArticulatedArm

Maybe it's a TV, but not just one for use at the show i mean. Maybe Apple is producing TV's now. HP started doing so today. The Macfaithful can be counted on to buy a bunch. Apple has the brand. Seems like a great idea to me...