Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 440
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Can you upgrade the video card? how are kids going to play DOOM 3 on that?

Better learn them play Pacman. It is no violent too .
  • Reply 22 of 440
    Well, I know two people who were waiting to buy 20-inch iMacs and were expecting it to be $2,199. They will be THRILLED with the price.
  • Reply 23 of 440
  • Reply 24 of 440
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I can't believe they expect us to use AppleWorks 6 with that.
  • Reply 25 of 440
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    I'll probably mount mine on a arm that bolts to the desktop. That way I can reclaim space back on my desk. This sucker is only 18.5lbs or so. It's a nice feat of engineering talent. As long as it stays cool Apple's in business here.

Quote:

I can't believe they expect us to use AppleWorks 6 with that.

What's wrong with it?
  • Reply 26 of 440
    The edu price on the 17-inch SuperDrive model is just $1,399!

And you can bump the RAM to a single 512 chip for just $67! Is this the Apple we know?!

I'm not in love with the looks of the thing (yet), but I gotta say, it's cheaper than I expected.

The no-optical-drive edu model is just $1,099.
  • Reply 27 of 440
    no 8x superdrive! the emac even has an 8x superdrive. wtf. read Tech Specs says at the bottom of the page
  • Reply 29 of 440
    Quote:

The edu price on the 17-inch SuperDrive model is just $1,399

$1349 for Developers

Considering I'll be buying the next update I'm guessing I'll be getting a 2Ghz G5 and faster video card.
  • Reply 30 of 440
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    I think this is designed to look, as much as possiible, like the iPod and thus get some switches interest in buying a Mac. The more I look at it the more I like it. I think the back could have been polished metal so as to match the iPod even more though. Not a great design but quite solid, lacks a bit of WOW. but will look a lot better in the flesh.
  • Reply 31 of 440
    It's beautifull! and here's how mac gamers like me will Doom 3. On low settings.
  • Reply 32 of 440
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Had they just made it possible to put in a better graphics card then the new iMac would have been a great computer in my eyes. The price is reasonable I just wish the graphics card could have been swapped.

Meanwhile I wonder what Apple really expects to fill the void between $1899 including 20" monitor and $1999 without any monitor.
  • Reply 33 of 440
    You can use a standard VESA mount to hang it on the wall...no need to bolt it to your desk.
  • Reply 34 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Meanwhile I wonder what Apple really expects to fill the void between $1899 including 20" monitor and $1999 without any monitor.

A credit card?
  • Reply 35 of 440
    awful!!!
  • Reply 36 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by honeytoast

no 8x superdrive! the emac even has an 8x superdrive. wtf. read Tech Specs says at the bottom of the page

What did you think Steve was lying when he said you can't run vertically mounted optical drives as fast as horizonatal drives? Small price to pay for me but others may disagree.
  • Reply 37 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by honeytoast

It's vertical. As you speed it up vibration would become a very big issue. Vibration is a problem when it's horizontal and gravity isn't pulling the disc off kilter then.
  • Reply 38 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

A credit card?

Seems kind of stupid to me. They essentially have an $800 - $900 computer and a $2000 computer and ignore the market in between. That said I'm sure the iMac will do reasonably, or at least better than the previous one.
  • Reply 39 of 440
    This'll be great for sales. All of those people who like the ipod will upgrade to this, it's just as cute as the ipod. Also for the first time since the original, you can say it's a cute computer.
  • Reply 40 of 440
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Come on guys, what's wrong with you? It's good enough for most of us. It was never intended to satisfy everybody.

Though, of course, the choice of the video card can raise questions. Personally, I don't like slot-loading drives, but nothing else would fit there anyway.