G5-2.5 shipping dates.

Comments

• Reply 221 of 335
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

auslander, don't be too shocked if it does ship on 9/9! 1. I have been somewhat convinced that the problem(s) are OS related and not hardware. 2. I really believe Apple has a supply of 6800's enough to cover original early orders. Again it's the software. 3. They are shipping G5 2.5's in mass without the 6800's. 4. I really believe Apple would suspend shipping the 30" displays if they can't send the G5's w/6800's to make them work. In fact my friend, I look at them not changing your 9/9 date as some VERY GOOD NEWS!

If you can tear yourself away from playing with your new toy when it comes to post that you got it that would be WONDERFUL!

I'll be sure to post when it ships. However, I've seen too many slipping ship dates to not expect that to happen again. When I called the ADC store the other day they confirmed my ship date as 9/9 but firmly added an "at the moment" .. whatever that means...
  • Reply 222 of 335
    lenlen Posts: 11member
    Figured I'd post this to help folks get a feel for the results of different orders.

o 7/7 - ordered my dual 1.8 G5 with 6800. I was given a shipdate of on or before 8/31.

o 8/23 - Informed of 6800 delays and I opted to get a 9600XT with my G5(shipped by 9/3) and get the 6800 later(Shipped by 9/17)

o 8/30 - G5 with 9600XT shipped

My only gripe is that while Apple may have been surprised by the IBM delay, they should not have been surprised by the NVidia delay. As a person who has his feet planted primarily in the PC world I could have told you that NVidia was not going to have a steady supply of 6800s until October/November.
  • Reply 223 of 335
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by len

My only gripe is that while Apple may have been surprised by the IBM delay, they should not have been surprised by the NVidia delay.

you shouldnt have been surprised by nvidia delays either. you knew when you ordered that it was gonna take a while for those cards to ship and that there would be a large demand for them.
  • Reply 224 of 335
    Oh I'm not surprised, really. However, that doesn't take away Apple's culpability in promising something they knew they couldn't deliver.

I never expected the 6800 in by the end of August but the fact remains they said they'd ship it by the end of August and I think they knew well before Aug 31 that they were going to slip the ship date but decided to wait til Aug 23 to contact me. Hell, I knew by Aug 1 they were going to have a hard time getting enough 6800s so why didn't Apple? A simple "we're unlikely to be able to fill your order by our original shipping date when we have a better idea of when your order will ship will contact you again" note would have been the proper thing to do. To me, this is a failure in customer relations and mind you, it's not a rant on my part, just a gripe with their communications process.

• Reply 225 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    You guys can't blame nvidia for this one .

Apple purchases the chips straight from Nvidia and ATI to make their own cards. Don't believe me? Call ATI and Nvidia.

When the 9600xt and 9800xt weren't clocking as they are supposed to be on pcs I called both apple and ATI. Ati mentioned that they don't support what apple ships in the macs because they don't produce the whole card. They only produce the chips. Nvidia is the same way.

So, blame apple for not producing the cards not NVidia. I'm absolutely sure NVidia has plenty of 6800 ultra chips. Just look at how many different 6800 ultra versions there are.

I agree the g5 chip yield is definitely out of apple's control. Which is understandable... but why announce a product when it isn't ready. I feel they lose just as many customers as they would if they didn't announce it and waited until it shipped. It only hurts their stock and reputation in the long run by pre-announcing products.
  • Reply 226 of 335
    i'm not so sure about some of your assumptions emig.

Some guy called Nvidia, and they told him the processors were made by IBM, and we know they are having some issues with the G5, so it may very well be IBM for these as well.

And I wouldn't be too sure they have plenty of 6800 chips laying around, cause they aren't exactly "in stores" in europe, backorders..
  • Reply 227 of 335
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

So, blame apple for not producing the cards not NVidia. I'm absolutely sure NVidia has plenty of 6800 ultra chips. Just look at how many different 6800 ultra versions there are.

Go ahead and actually try and BUY one.
  • Reply 228 of 335
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

There are many different versions but not many 6800s on the street at the moment. Nvidia and ATI are having a hard time meeting demand for their new cards.
  • Reply 229 of 335
    **Update**

My order was bumped up to Sept 3rd, after splitting my order to a 9600 and a 6800 card. But I highly doubt this will even ship!
  • Reply 230 of 335
    Quote:

Originally posted by KCOM2006

I'm sorry, but I think this is BULL SHIT !!!!

Apple is really FUCKING around with their loyal customers... it seems like a pattern of the last 2-3 years. Announcing something and then not shipping it until 2-3 months later.

DAMN, why doesn't apple just announce the Dual 3.5 Ghz processor and put an esitmated ship date of July 2005. They must actually think people like the thought of owning a computer instead of USING one!!!

**Update**

My order was bumped up to Sept 3rd, after splitting my order to a 9600 and a 6800 card. But I highly doubt this will even ship!

So golly, Apple got slammed with orders of 30" display's. So golly Apple needed to fill orders for the 6800 to cover 6800's G5's with 30" displays. How stupid. Excuse me KCOM but if you owned a business and ended up with more orders than you expected I'm sure you'd have handled it different! NOT! I'm sitting on over $8,000.00 worth of G5 order and I'm sick of your whining. Go but a PC! As discusted with Apple as I am I don't care to hear your whining!
  • Reply 231 of 335
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

So golly, Apple got slammed with orders of 30" display's. So golly Apple needed to fill orders for the 6800 to cover 6800's G5's with 30" displays. How stupid. Excuse me KCOM but if you owned a business and ended up with more orders than you expected I'm sure you'd have handled it different! NOT! I'm sitting on over $8,000.00 worth of G5 order and I'm sick of your whining. Go but a PC! As discusted with Apple as I am I don't care to hear your whining!

You're the one out of order here. This is a thread about G5 2.5Ghz shipping dates. All of us here (perhaps including you) have G5 dual 2.5GHz orders in and are waiting for the orders to be fulfilled.

I don't want to hear your whining here, the same way you ostracised me for commenting (in a very civilised manner I might add) in your 30" monitor thread.

The rule? - keep it on topic and be polite.
  • Reply 232 of 335
    I ordered my 2.5 on the 8.19 with a 6800. Well day one said a ship date of 10.01 but then the next day changed to 10.29. So I have a feeling I may be in for quite the wait.

John
  • Reply 233 of 335
    I just got the dreaded email. My dual 2.5, 30", 6800 which I ordered last month will not ship until 10/25. The ship date seems to change every week now. This would be my first Apple and I am beggining to understand why they can't get past a miniscule market share. It obviously takes a lot of patience to be a Apple customer. I'll probably cancel my order.
  • Reply 234 of 335
    I just ordered a 2.5DP on Monday (8/30). It has a shipdate of 10/6.

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200)

160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)

ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM
  • Reply 235 of 335
    September 2nd...

As many in this forum know, their order should be shipping tomorrow (on or before 9/3/04).

Well I called Apple today and my order hasn't shipped yet, nor is it sitting on the dock waiting to ship, nor is it currently being built. The order has only been acknowladged by manufacturing...

I'd be willing to bet anyone that Apple will NOT be able to meet my FOURTH estimated ship date!
  • Reply 236 of 335
    Sorry KCOM... this is the reason I said screw the 2.5 and went 2.0. I knew it would be around my bday (sept 19th) when I'd get my dual 2.5 from a june 9th announcement.

I also wanted to avoid a water cooling system until they have proven themselves for 2+ years of not failing. Personally I'm very happy with my Rev B 90nm dual 2.0. So much quieter and have less problems than the Rev A's had.
  • Reply 237 of 335
    Much to my surprise my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 finally arrived today (no BTO options). Now just waiting for the 6800 Ultra to ship but that's a bit of an easier wait.
  • Reply 238 of 335
    OT: Does anyone know if the 2GHz PM is also affected by these production problems? The Applestore says 7-9 days waiting for the 2.0, but they also say 6 weeks for the 2.5.
  • Reply 239 of 335
    Quote:

Originally posted by gerwin

OT: Does anyone know if the 2GHz PM is also affected by these production problems? The Applestore says 7-9 days waiting for the 2.0, but they also say 6 weeks for the 2.5.

Can't comment on the 2.0's but the 1.8s dont seem to be unaffected, got mine yesterday(9/1). Just waiting on 6800 which is about 2 weeks away
  • Reply 240 of 335
    The 1.8's are affected as of now. From what I've been hearing the 1.8's are going to the iMacs for a while.

The dual 2.0s aren't doing to bad right now. Ironically I ordered from ADC and was told 10 days.... I got it in 1 day. Perhaps cause of being pissed for not being able to getmy 2.5... but either way... it is a 90nm proc too.